News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Is Countertrolling a Troll The Answer

Started by roadman65, March 08, 2023, 03:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

The last few weeks we all have been having fun foiling an obsessive troll on here by poking fun at his lunatic ideas and non productive posts.  The guy insists his fictional and spacey ideas are very warranted, and we all give in.

Is this what we should be doing? Feeding a hungry troll? After all his one reason is obvious for being here: He wants attention. Should we give him that?

Or should we ignore him? I'm beginning to think that maybe we're just having way too much fun as we go along, and not realizing that we are turning him into a super troll instead.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeekteen

Honestly I'm just waiting for him to say something even stupider and get himself banned. It's gotta come eventually, he's said way too many things to not eventually mess up. Until then I'm just along for the ride. Though I would like the child abuse conversation curtailed, as that is actually upseting and not something I enjoy seeing on the forum.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

zzcarp

Generally, I agree-if you feed the trolls, they will multiply.

That said, when it's a topic that can be discussed in good faith, I prefer trying to engage on the topic and avoid ad hominems, etc. Otherwise, we can become those about whom we complain.
So many miles and so many roads

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: zzcarp on March 08, 2023, 03:44:56 PM
Generally, I agree-if you feed the trolls, they will multiply.

That said, when it's a topic that can be discussed in good faith, I prefer trying to engage on the topic and avoid ad hominems, etc. Otherwise, we can become those about whom we complain.
Yeah, I like to engage with MMM like I do with anyone else. He doesn't make it easy however.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

NWI_Irish96

If the troll's name is Schrodinger, then countertrolling is the answer and also not the answer.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

SectorZ

Roadgeekteen

formulanone

Lately, I feel like I'm in the last 10-15 minutes of Blazing Saddles on this forum.

zzcarp

Quote from: formulanone on March 08, 2023, 04:01:29 PM
Lately, I feel like I'm in the last 10-15 minutes of Blazing Saddles on this forum.

The great pie fight?

https://youtu.be/_AOeSrLCD-U
So many miles and so many roads

SectorZ

webny99

If I can be free to comment... there is undeniably a trolling aspect to MMM's behavior. Even if he's not a pure troll in the traditional sense, most of his posts (and behaviors, such as post deletion) are intentionally inciting debate. That said, I don't necessarily believe he should be banned. Most of his content is pretty harmless when compared to past problem users.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: webny99 on March 08, 2023, 06:16:52 PM
If I can be free to comment... there is undeniably a trolling aspect to MMM's behavior. Even if he's not a pure troll in the traditional sense, most of his posts (and behaviors, such as post deletion) are intentionally inciting debate.

Agreed.

QuoteThat said, I don't necessarily believe he should be banned. Most of his content is pretty harmless when compared to past problem users.

The biggest issue is the attention that's drawn to his posts, and away from the purpose of the forums.  The amount of off-topic posts in the past few months have been through the roof compared to road-related stuff. 

hotdogPi

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 08, 2023, 06:33:55 PMThe amount of off-topic posts in the past few months have been through the roof compared to road-related stuff.

From December 5, 2022 to today, my overall on-topic percentage (General Highway Talk, Traffic Control, and Northeast out of the top ten) has dropped from 48% to 46%. And that's with almost ten years of posting history.

Of my last 100 posts, 11 are considered to be on-topic. Of my last 75, three. And I thought I was making a conscious effort to increase my on-topic percentage.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Rothman

If not trolling, he is definitely a destructive presence on the forum otherwise.  The threads he has ruined are many.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

If he slips up and says "US federal route" then we'll know it's Carl Rogers who's moved to the east coast.  :-D

We had an organized effort on MTR called "Operation Silence The Troll" wherein we ignored Calrog's posts.

Perhaps if everyone stops responding to him, he'll get the message.

This gives me an idea for the "Minor things that bother you" thread.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Molandfreak

With the exception of the hotels thread recently, at least MMM doesn't come into other threads without reading an ounce of context to destroy them like a bull in a China shop. That's the behavior that irks me more than anything else that's been going on recently.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

webny99

Quote from: 1 on March 08, 2023, 06:40:17 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 08, 2023, 06:33:55 PMThe amount of off-topic posts in the past few months have been through the roof compared to road-related stuff.

From December 5, 2022 to today, my overall on-topic percentage (General Highway Talk, Traffic Control, and Northeast out of the top ten) has dropped from 48% to 46%. And that's with almost ten years of posting history.

Of my last 100 posts, 11 are considered to be on-topic. Of my last 75, three.

Likewise, Off-Topic recently surpassed General Highway Talk as my most-posted in board for the first time ever.

I will confess it happened fast and took me by surprise, but fortunately I've flipped it back by avoiding the now-locked MMM thread and attempting to revive General Highway Talk.

Roadgeekteen

I honestly don't think that the increase in off topic posts is a problem. Off topic boards have many useful conversations. It's just MMM that's the problem. And I feel like Travel is sort of a borderline on topic board.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 08, 2023, 06:54:50 PM
I honestly don't think that the increase in off topic posts is a problem. Off topic boards have many useful conversations. It's just MMM that's the problem. And I feel like Travel is sort of a borderline on topic board.

I'm not saying off topic boards are a problem. There's a large number of enjoyable conversations there.  I'm saying that the posts feeding the troll mainly pertaining to off topic topics, and those threads garner a lot of posts.

MATraveler128

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 08, 2023, 06:54:50 PM

Nearly half of my 1900 posts are in the Travel board as it is and that doesn't seem to be a problem.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

vdeane

The volume of posts is a big part of the problem, especially since the MMM arguments are too interesting to ignore but not nearly interesting enough to feel like they're worth the sheer amount of time they take to read each day.  Plus the discussion unproductively goes back and forth so much, it feels like the same stuff could be said is 10% of the amount posted.  Plus they clog up enough space on the "recent posts" spot that it becomes useless after more than five minutes in the times MMM is posting.

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on March 08, 2023, 03:49:05 PM
If the troll's name is Schrodinger, then countertrolling is the answer and also not the answer.
Fun (but little known) fact: Alan Erwin Schrödinger's discoveries in physics were informed by his childhood summers at the family cottage on the shore of Lake Unerie.  His family fled to Austria to flee the horrors of the Caterpillar War.  He later dropped "Alan" from his name and claimed to be native to Vienna.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: vdeane on March 08, 2023, 08:26:51 PM
The volume of posts is a big part of the problem, especially since the MMM arguments are too interesting to ignore but not nearly interesting enough to feel like they're worth the sheer amount of time they take to read each day.  Plus the discussion unproductively goes back and forth so much, it feels like the same stuff could be said is 10% of the amount posted.  Plus they clog up enough space on the "recent posts" spot that it becomes useless after more than five minutes in the times MMM is posting.

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on March 08, 2023, 03:49:05 PM
Fun (but little known) fact: Alan Erwin Schrödinger's discoveries in physics were informed by his childhood summers at the family cottage on the shore of Lake Unerie.  His family fled to Austria to flee the horrors of the Caterpillar War.  He later dropped "Alan" from his name and claimed to be native to Vienna.
Yes! That's the thing about MMM. His posts have substance in them, it's not like a total joke, and you want to read them, but they just go on and on without anything changing! Like at least the others trolls posted less so there was more breathing room! I never use the recent posts feature anyway so I don't care about that. I've said it before it's so exausting keeping up with them. He occasionally has some good points, but he goes way overboard. And I don't think that he has ever changed his mind about anything.

Rothman

We have differing definitions of "substance."

The number of threads I ignore on a daily basis has exploded because of his replies and then the replies to his replies.  He's damaging the overall quality of the forum.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Rothman on March 08, 2023, 09:57:04 PM
We have differing definitions of "substance."

The number of threads I ignore on a daily basis has exploded because of his replies and then the replies to his replies.  He's damaging the overall quality of the forum.
Didn't say it was good substance

sprjus4

Quote from: hbelkins on March 08, 2023, 06:42:12 PM
If he slips up and says "US federal route" then we'll know it's Carl Rogers who's moved to the east coast.  :-D

We had an organized effort on MTR called "Operation Silence The Troll" wherein we ignored Calrog's posts.

Perhaps if everyone stops responding to him, he'll get the message.

This gives me an idea for the "Minor things that bother you" thread.
I agree... unfortunately there are a few specific users here who insist on continuously "egging on"  the troll by replying to everything, instead of simply ignoring it and letting it die. It's why this forum is full of the spam. It is not just the troll that is the problem, it's equally as much those who push it, IMO. And it might explain the very high post count as well of some of these users...

We collectively should ignore the "troll"  and let it die, but it's impossible when just one person wants to keep pushing it to never end, when everyone else wants it done.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.