News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Ontario's Highways

Started by un1, January 19, 2009, 03:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwishiwascanadian

I wrote to the Ontario Ministry of Transportation about the lack of exit tabs.  I received a response that went along lines of saying that most people don't have a problem with the lack of exit tabs, it really bothers me though.  I have seen some exit tabs (in photos) up along Highway 400 and the 404. 

joseph1723

Quote from: cu2010 on August 06, 2010, 07:29:39 PM
Quote from: The Premier on August 06, 2010, 03:18:03 PM
Is it standard in Ontario not to have exit tabs on new signs, especially when it's an exit only like this:

Ontario typically only puts the exit tab on the advance guide signage; the signs at the actual exit typically do not have tabs.

Yep, Ontario usually only posts exit tabs on advanced signs but I've seen some advanced signs that were also missing exit tabs too. Ontario also didn't post exit tabs even on advanced signs when the BGS was mounted on a cantilever structure until recently when they started cramming it on the upper right corner of the BGS:

I've only seen a few exit signs in Ontario that had tabs but they were usually ones that didn't have a advanced sign because the ramp was too close to another interchange.

I like seeing exit tabs being placed on exit signage but I also remember reading that apparently most drivers in Ontario don't know what the exit tab means of something like that so I guess that's why MTO dosen't bother putting up exit tabs on exit signage.

Here's a couple of pics showing some new lane markings on Highway 401 to better notify drivers that they're in a exit only lane and to make changing lanes right before the gore illegal:

New arrows on the pavement to mark the exit only lane and the optional lane:

New lane striping with a solid white line on the right and a dashed line on the left to only allow drivers to enter the exit only lane but not exit at the last moment:

haljackey

By exit tab, do you mean advance signage? If not, please enlighten me.

(I still have a lot when it comes to road terminology it seems lol)

iwishiwascanadian

Quote from: haljackey on August 08, 2010, 08:17:23 PM

A exit tab is the tab on top of a Big Green Sign that shows something along the lines of EXIT XX.

joseph1723

Quote from: iwishiwascanadian on August 08, 2010, 09:42:40 PM
Quote from: haljackey on August 08, 2010, 08:17:23 PM

A exit tab is the tab on top of a Big Green Sign that shows something along the lines of EXIT XX.

Yep the exit tabs in Ontario are also tabs mounted on top of the BGS that's show the exit # on it, the ones here don't have EXIT on them though.

Tom

Here's a nice webpage I discovered about heritage bridges in Ontario, Canada:
http://www.historicbridges.org/map_ont.htm :coffee:

AsphaltPlanet

These are some photos I took of a new section of Ontario's Highway 11 back in August.

I have taken more recent photos then this, however I haven't put them online yet.  This is a section of new four lane freeway that opened to traffic in September.  It was opened as part of a project to four-lane Highway 11 between Barrie and North Bay.  This project is on track to be substantially complete next year.

I post larger versions on my website, all of these photos came from here:
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_11_images/hwy11_Sundridge.htm
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Dr Frankenstein

Does anyone have a photo of the "Allow 2 chevrons between cars" (or whatever the wording was) signs on Hwy 401? And when were they removed? I remember seeing those in the early 2000's, and there were only a handful of actual chevrons left on the pavement when I came back last weekend.

AsphaltPlanet

^ I don't unfortunately.  It's a shame, the signs in Durham Region were still standing when I started taking highway photos all of those years ago, but by the time it finally occurred to me to take a photo of one of those signs, they had already been removed.

What brought you through Ontario?
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Dr Frankenstein

A friend of mine had a tournament in Scarborough, and wanted to split the gas and motel room, so I joined him. I did bring my camera, but most of my shots are rather blurry due to the rain and sunset. Also took the occasion to clinch a few roads in the GTA.

AsphaltPlanet

^ I am sorry that your trip to Toronto included Scarborough.  You probably didn't notice, but Toronto really is a nice City. :)

Dr Frankenstein

Very. I took the occasion to clinch the Gardiner and Don Valley Pkwy. Didn't mind the traffic jam, was too busy staring at stuff like the CN Tower. I also worked on getting the subway partly clinched. I enjoyed my time there. I'll probably aim for the Niagara region next time.

The eastern portions of the 401 (between Ajax and Gananoque, I'd say) still has a lot of relatively old signs. It was a long but cool drive.

AsphaltPlanet

The MTO called a contract to replace some of the guide signage along the 401 in Eastern Ontario.  I have no idea which signs or how many, but I suspect some more of the old angled edge signs will be replaced.

Niagara is a neat part of Ontario.  Some of Ontario's more interesting urban roads are in both Hamilton and Niagara.  The Falls themselves are cool, but the area that surrounds them is a pretty big tourist trap.

AsphaltPlanet

Some new Windsor Essex Parkway photos.  This is the project that will link Hwy 401 to a new downriver bridge across the Detroit River.  I found this on another forum that I read, so they aren't mine.

source:http://www.flickr.com/photos/windsordi/

Dr Frankenstein

I drove through this yesterday but unfortunately my windows were too dirty for good views.

aridawn

The Windsor - Essex Pkwy has been renamed  Rt. Hon. (Right Honourable) Herb Gray  Pkwy.  Here is an Excellent flicker page of the ongoing construction. http://www.flickr.com/photos/hgparkway

amroad17

So ON 401 will follow ON 3/Huron Church Road to EC Row Expy west past its end and cross the Detroit River to I-75 in the Detroit southern suburbs?  THAT would save a lot of time crossing into Canada (or vice versa) than dealing with the Ambassador Bridge crossing.

BTW, will this new pkwy be designated ON 401?

Post Merge: February 14, 2013, 06:52:32 PM

Before writing, I really should look at particular subjects like this on Wikipedia, where I can have questions in my prior post answered. :banghead:
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

aridawn

Quote from: amroad17 on February 14, 2013, 02:15:41 AM
So ON 401 will follow ON 3/Huron Church Road to EC Row Expy west past its end and cross the Detroit River to I-75 in the Detroit southern suburbs?  THAT would save a lot of time crossing into Canada (or vice versa) than dealing with the Ambassador Bridge crossing.

BTW, will this new pkwy be designated ON 401?

Yes it will be posted as ON-401. The parkway is from ON-401/3 jct to border. As for tolls, they will be collected on the Ontario side just past the customs plaza for both directions.

burneraccount

That's a lot of exit number tabs they have to change!

vdeane

They won't have to change any.  ON 401 presently starts its "mileage" (and hence exit numbers) with 13 being the end at ON 3.  They'll just extend the numbers backwards from that point.  There's enough room to absorb the length of the parkway, which is roughly 11-12 km long.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

haljackey

Quote from: deanej on February 14, 2013, 03:00:14 PM
They won't have to change any.  ON 401 presently starts its "mileage" (and hence exit numbers) with 13 being the end at ON 3.  They'll just extend the numbers backwards from that point.  There's enough room to absorb the length of the parkway, which is roughly 11-12 km long.

Correct. The 401 was always planned to be connected to a border crossing so must have they started the KM markings at the current start of the highway to fit it in.
-Or, this could have been put in during the changeover from imperial to metric measurements.

Without a new border crossing, this will be a highway to nowhere. Hope it gets underway soon.

The Daily Show did a funny sketch about the new border crossing last month: http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-january-9-2013/bridge-to-canada

AsphaltPlanet

A couple of new photos of Ontario highways:

These photos are from the former Hwy 511 in eastern Ontario.  This is at the Madawaska River, which is one of the principle rivers in eastern Ontario:

Hwy 41's Madawaska River crossing, further upstream:

AsphaltPlanet

A couple more photos.  These are from a scenic stretch of Hwy 522 (which is generally not that scenic of a highway) in Central Ontario:

This old rounded corner sign likely dates back to the completion of the 1970s era Ess Narrows Bridge

Ess Narrows:

More and larger:
http://www.AsphaltPlanet.ca/ON/secondary/hwy_500-549_images/Hwy522_images.htm

AsphaltPlanet

Some new Ontario Highway photos, this time from Highway 7A, a scenic highway that runs through pleasant hills in Central Ontario, northeast of Toronto.

If you'd ever like to see more of Hwy 7A then anybody could ever care to see, you can do so here:
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_7_images/Hwy7A_images.htm

Transportfan

Here's a must-see video I shot of Highway 407-ETR back in 1995 when it was under construction. Enjoy!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.