News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Ontario's Highways

Started by un1, January 19, 2009, 03:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsphaltPlanet

Some new photos of the Hwy 417 extension through Arnprior taken back in June:

More and larger:
http://asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_410-427_images/Hwy417_p4e_images.htm
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

aridawn

Just sent and email to the County of Northumberland.  The email states for a proposal to design/build a super 2 freeway from the JCT of ON-401 heading north, paralleling County Rd 30, towards the County Line of Peterborough just north of Campbellford.  This also calls for the cooperative agreement with Peterborough County to move the road to the eventual termination at ON-7. The proposal also calls for a super 2 freeway bypass of Campbellford to the south crossing the Trent River, from County Road 8 west to the JCT of the new road, then arcing northward.   This addresses a lot of issues with County Rd 30. 1.) A New 24hr sand and gravel industry as just started land clearing in Codrington to supply a growing development in the GTA and South Eastern Ontario.  2.) An increase in traffic heading north to Cottage Country, and a growing retirement communities of Warkworth and Campbellford as well as Brighton. 3.) Solve a long standing debate and battle in Campbellford for a new second crossing of the Trent.  4.) Take through trucks off the streets  of Campbellford, heading to either ON-7, and ON-401. Lastly 5.). address several high accident intersections that have claimed countless lives.  The Municipalities of both Brighton, and Trent Hills (Campbellford) are fast growing, and new industry is coming online in the near future.  Traffic is increasing and quick fixes are not solving the problem.  A new road would foster more development and better access to key destinations.   

AsphaltPlanet

As part of an upcoming highway rehabilitation project, the centreline of a small section of Hwy 401 will be moved 19m to the south at the Leslie Street interchange in North York.  Neat construction staging:

http://www.library.mto.gov.on.ca/webopac/getattachment.asp?passport=fa9ab928-be7c-4f02-8bac-ea8f9940a333&TemplateGUID=c36ec88e-067b-45b1-bbc9-cd42fe489177&RecordGUID=4ce76792-0be9-464c-8e0d-878d0093f39f&FieldGUID=eea74945-da4f-422e-800e-a53392110279&AttachmentIndex=0
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

vdeane

If you want to drive on the current North Channel Bridge in Cornwall, you have a little over 24 hours to do it: http://www.pontcornwallbridge.ca/eng/?p=2258
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

AsphaltPlanet

Some new pictures:

Hwy 410:
http://asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_410-427_images/Hwy410_images.htm

From high atop the expressway from the Hwy 401 ramp:

Long Flyover

Some signage:

Hwy 94:
http://asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_90-99_images/Hwy94_images.htm

AsphaltPlanet

A couple of pictures of the 404 extension north of Toronto:

rickmastfan67

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on April 24, 2014, 06:08:56 PM
A couple of pictures of the 404 extension north of Toronto:

How close to it being opened do you think?

AsphaltPlanet

Probably a few months, I think September is what is scheduled.  There were two contracts to build the highway.  Work is nearly finished on the northern portion of the highway, which is what I have pictured, but there is still a lot of work outstanding in order to complete the southern construction contract.

Long story short, September is likely.

AsphaltPlanet

A couple of new pictures of the eastern extension of Highway 407 through Durham Region.  Taken today, by me:

AsphaltPlanet

Some new pictures of the 401 extension in Windsor that were taken by me the other day:

Signage is coming up:

View of the twin tunnels along both Highways 3 and 401 east of Cousineau:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_3-9_images/3_cl_9_east_May14_24x16.jpg

Approaching the roundabout on Highway 3:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_3-9_images/3_cl_10-75_east_May14_24x16.jpg

View of the roundabout:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_3-9_images/3_cl_11_rbt_west_May14_24x16.jpg

View of Highway 401 passing through the future eastern Highway 3 interchange:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_401_images/401_cl_10-9_east_May14_24x16.jpg

Westerly view looking towards the future eastern Highway 3 interchange:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_401_images/401_cl_11-25_west_May14_24x16.jpg

Easterly view at the transition between the new highway and the old highway:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_401_images/401_cl_11-25_west_May14_24x16.jpg

US 41

This is kind of off topic, but does anyone happen to know if you can see the CN Tower from ON 401?
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

webfil

Sure. There are enough flyover ramps along 401 (401/410, 401/427, 401/409, 401/400, 401/Spadina Exwy) to allow one to observe the skyline in the distance.

US 41

Thanks. I'm thinking about going to Canada this fall. I just want to see the CN Tower when I go to Toronto. (Obviously I'm going to do other things in Canada if I go.) Is it worth the money to go in it?

xcellntbuy

Quote from: US 41 on May 24, 2014, 12:55:01 PM
This is kind of off topic, but does anyone happen to know if you can see the CN Tower from ON 401?
You can see the CN Tower and the entire skyline of Toronto from as far away as St. Catherines on the opposite side of Lake Ontario.  It looks "squat" due to the curvature of the earth and has a greenish hue like the "emerald city."

rickmastfan67

Quote from: xcellntbuy on May 24, 2014, 06:11:07 PM
Quote from: US 41 on May 24, 2014, 12:55:01 PM
You can see the CN Tower and the entire skyline of Toronto from as far away as St. Catherines on the opposite side of Lake Ontario.  It looks "squat" due to the curvature of the earth and has a greenish hue like the "emerald city."

Yep, I always enjoyed looking for, and seeing Toronto's skyline from the QEW between St. Catherines & Burlington.  Especially at night!

This spot on the QEW was always one of the better locations to see Toronto on a clear night.

AsphaltPlanet

You can see the CN Tower and the skyline from a number of points pretty far away from Downtown Toronto.  You get a great view along the Southbound 404 between Bloomington Road and Stouffville Road, as well as westbound on the 407 through the York Durham Line interchange.

webfil

Quote from: US 41 on May 24, 2014, 02:57:28 PM
Thanks. I'm thinking about going to Canada this fall. I just want to see the CN Tower when I go to Toronto. (Obviously I'm going to do other things in Canada if I go.) Is it worth the money to go in it?

Buy a record or two at Sonic Boom, get some comic books at The Beguiling and go for a GO-train ride if you really have 40$ and time to spare.

Rather a tourist trap than an impressive attraction, IMHO. Might be the tallest building on this continent, but as long as it is the only one that high, you really get nothing from viewing the city from atop, when you can explore by yourself.

AsphaltPlanet

^ You're joking right?

The CN Tower is definitely overpriced, no question, but the view of Toronto and area is spectacular.  You can see Niagara Falls on a clear day.  Surely the CN Tower is a better way to experience Toronto than riding a bland and generic GO train.

Dr Frankenstein

* Except for railfans and transit fans.

Anyway, the best way to see the CN Tower from a highway is definitely on the Gardiner Expressway, probably eastbound. But if you want a clinch of 401, you'll have to backtrack (albeit not for too long).

webfil

Not a question of railfanning or whatsoever. The persons with whom I traveled and I prefer being on solid ground and walking about, discovering cities by walking 'em, seeing 'em, feeling 'em.

I find important when going to new places that I meet new people, especially locals - and I quite like hanging with Torontonians. I don't think being able to do that atop the CN tower, but I did elsewhere; in cafés, stores and aboard the train.  :D

Then again, it depends on what you are seeking when travelling.

ARMOURERERIC

As far as the Windsor highway work is concerned, I am surprised.  Until Google maps began to indicate the dashed lines for the future work, I had been under the impression that the road/bridge was going mostly due west to hook up near 75/Southfield, which looking at the map was still to me a superior alignment.

ghYHZ

Sure the CN Tower is a tourist trap....... but I've been up several times and still enjoy the view. Now if I could only get the nerve I'd love to do the edge walk.

http://www.cntower.ca/en-ca/plan-your-visit/attractions/edgewalk/edgewalk-overview.html

(Another great view of the skyline is approaching the downtown airport on a Porter or Air Canada Express Q400. The approach is over the harbour and nearly right beside the tower but well below the observation deck).

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on May 26, 2014, 01:04:11 PM
As far as the Windsor highway work is concerned, I am surprised.  Until Google maps began to indicate the dashed lines for the future work, I had been under the impression that the road/bridge was going mostly due west to hook up near 75/Southfield, which looking at the map was still to me a superior alignment.

I agree.  The proposed alignment on the US side is kind of dumb.

US 41

Thanks everyone for the input on the CN Tower. If I go, I'll probably go in the tower.

lordsutch

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on May 26, 2014, 08:53:46 PM
I agree.  The proposed alignment on the US side is kind of dumb.

I'd imagine the major constraint was the need to have a large inspection area on the US side. The area where the new crossing lands seems to be less populated than the Southfield area. Plus if the bridge did connect at I-75 and Southfield, Michigan would probably need to extend the Southfield Freeway south/east to accommodate the added traffic cutting through to/from I-94 and I-96.

And, although they'd probably never admit it, building closer to the Ambassador Bridge makes it more likely that it will divert traffic from Maroun's bridge. Particularly with the 401 getting closer to the Ambassador with the new extension, if the new bridge landed at 75/Southfield a lot of traffic would use the Ambassador and brave the remaining lights on Huron Church Rd rather than potentially going 10+ miles out of their way.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.