News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Massachusetts

Started by hotdogPi, October 12, 2013, 04:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5foot14

Quote from: Alps on June 21, 2021, 06:23:29 PM
Now hold on, how many of the remaining flashing greens DO use red/yellow mode? Because that is something I want to scope out next time I'm through there.

From me and 1's list all of them except Dalton Pkwy in Salem and Route 16/Woodstock St in Somerville which have pedestrian signals. I also want to point out this is not an all inclusive list, there are probably others around still hanging on. I believe there are a few DCR maintained parkways (aside from Pond St and Morrisey Blvd listed above) that still have them.

Here is a link to a custom Google Map I whipped up showing all the locations:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1HrUGx7WEFn08plygJka6zvYppT1PxeqO&usp=sharing

I anyone happens to know any other locations where these still exist I'd be happy to add them to the map.

PurdueBill

Quote from: 5foot14 on June 22, 2021, 10:54:42 AM
Quote from: Alps on June 21, 2021, 06:23:29 PM
Now hold on, how many of the remaining flashing greens DO use red/yellow mode? Because that is something I want to scope out next time I'm through there.

From me and 1's list all of them except Dalton Pkwy in Salem and Route 16/Woodstock St in Somerville which have pedestrian signals. I also want to point out this is not an all inclusive list, there are probably others around still hanging on. I believe there are a few DCR maintained parkways (aside from Pond St and Morrisey Blvd listed above) that still have them.

Here is a link to a custom Google Map I whipped up showing all the locations:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1HrUGx7WEFn08plygJka6zvYppT1PxeqO&usp=sharing

I anyone happens to know any other locations where these still exist I'd be happy to add them to the map.

Eastern Ave and Bellvale Street in Malden has an overhead flashing green but with pedestrian heads(!); somewhere I have video of it from about 10 years ago but of course can't find it at the moment.  https://goo.gl/maps/SHSWpMBUE5bypHTa9

I am shocked that being "from" Peabody (growing up there, living there for years and years and years) I totally don't remember one of the Margin Street ones (at Newcastle Road) which is crazy because it is so bonkers with the Margin St. signals facing traffic on the near side and stuff.  Between having three flashing greens and having so many 12-12-8 R-Y-Y pedestrian setups still around, Peabody has some treasures still hanging around.

5foot14

Quote from: PurdueBill on June 22, 2021, 01:51:10 PM
Eastern Ave and Bellvale Street in Malden has an overhead flashing green but with pedestrian heads(!); somewhere I have video of it from about 10 years ago but of course can't find it at the moment.  https://goo.gl/maps/SHSWpMBUE5bypHTa9

Duly Noted! Thanks for that! I added it to the map.

I am shocked that being "from" Peabody (growing up there, living there for years and years and years) I totally don't remember one of the Margin Street ones (at Newcastle Road) which is crazy because it is so bonkers with the Margin St. signals facing traffic on the near side and stuff.  Between having three flashing greens and having so many 12-12-8 R-Y-Y pedestrian setups still around, Peabody has some treasures still hanging around.

Peabody sure does have a lot of traffic light treasures still remaining. I too grew up there and lived within eyeshot of the 12-12-8 signals at Tremont/Northend St. Sadly the city is slowly replacing the 12-12-8 signals with all 12" signals. Central St @ Warren St is now all 12".

Ben114

Got out again to grab a picture of the new signs for I-190 / exit 19 on I-290.

deathtopumpkins

When down there for work recently I found Brockton still has a flashing green at the fire station on Main St: https://goo.gl/maps/oKC2RHJz5jyAfW8i9

That same drive the southbound signal on Main at Perkins (https://goo.gl/maps/9jfvTYK3fRD8cBSf7) weirdly gave me a red+yellow before turning green. Was not expecting that.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

PurdueBill

Quote from: 5foot14 on June 22, 2021, 02:05:16 PM

Duly Noted! Thanks for that! I added it to the map.

Peabody sure does have a lot of traffic light treasures still remaining. I too grew up there and lived within eyeshot of the 12-12-8 signals at Tremont/Northend St. Sadly the city is slowly replacing the 12-12-8 signals with all 12" signals. Central St @ Warren St is now all 12".

Unless they have changed it relatively recently (would necessitate new heads for the side street again), the flashing green that Quincy installed in 2018(!) at School Street and Hancock Court should still be going.  It replaced flashing yellow.  (Initially, the side street had flashing yellow at the same time the main street had flashing green; this was changed out.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hhhyUuWb8c )

5foot14

Quote from: PurdueBill on June 23, 2021, 01:49:19 PM
Unless they have changed it relatively recently (would necessitate new heads for the side street again), the flashing green that Quincy installed in 2018(!) at School Street and Hancock Court should still be going.  It replaced flashing yellow.  (Initially, the side street had flashing yellow at the same time the main street had flashing green; this was changed out.)

Kinda sketchy that they put up flashing yellow on the side street at all, especially since there does not appear to be a stop sign according to GSV. Good thing they switched it to red. They were still there as of Oct. 2020 according to GSV so I added it to the map.

Also added another one I just remembered, Boston St in Lynn
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4641044,-70.9738611,3a,42.2y,254.47h,93.31t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1spUxTInuqtBM0P7OaEKaiXQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

Also I reorganized the layers on the map by signal type instead of by town (since google only allows a max of 10 layers)

PurdueBill

Quote from: 5foot14 on June 23, 2021, 03:49:28 PM
Quote from: PurdueBill on June 23, 2021, 01:49:19 PM
Unless they have changed it relatively recently (would necessitate new heads for the side street again), the flashing green that Quincy installed in 2018(!) at School Street and Hancock Court should still be going.  It replaced flashing yellow.  (Initially, the side street had flashing yellow at the same time the main street had flashing green; this was changed out.)

Kinda sketchy that they put up flashing yellow on the side street at all, especially since there does not appear to be a stop sign according to GSV. Good thing they switched it to red. They were still there as of Oct. 2020 according to GSV so I added it to the map.

Also added another one I just remembered, Boston St in Lynn
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4641044,-70.9738611,3a,42.2y,254.47h,93.31t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1spUxTInuqtBM0P7OaEKaiXQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

Also I reorganized the layers on the map by signal type instead of by town (since google only allows a max of 10 layers)
It was indeed crazy because the previous signals had dual reds (12-8) for the side street with the bottom one flashing and the top one steady when actuated.  Somewhere in the upgrade things went haywire with the side street.  Although a new flashing green in 2018 was quite a thing.  I can't believe I forgot this one in Salem; It has two flashing greens facing one way and the other way there is one flashing green angled at Winter Street (route 1A) while the other head faces traffic with a stop on Washington Square and has a bottom red.  https://goo.gl/maps/Qkbq3kjwgjUUiZMGALike many others, it has an extra pedestrian button on a short pole for a crosswalk that doesn't even have a signal itself.I can't believe I forgot this one; I remember it so well from so many times seeing it from when I was young through the last time through Salem.  Still there as of November.

5foot14

Quote from: PurdueBill on June 23, 2021, 05:23:26 PM
I can't believe I forgot this one in Salem; It has two flashing greens facing one way and the other way there is one flashing green angled at Winter Street (route 1A) while the other head faces traffic with a stop on Washington Square and has a bottom red.  https://goo.gl/maps/Qkbq3kjwgjUUiZMGALike many others, it has an extra pedestrian button on a short pole for a crosswalk that doesn't even have a signal itself.I can't believe I forgot this one; I remember it so well from so many times seeing it from when I was young through the last time through Salem.  Still there as of November.

I remember this one too, but I don't think the greens flash only the bottom red flashes. If you move around in GSV you can get a shot of the red on and off, but the green lights are always on even when the red is off. Come to think of it that makes it probably one of the weirdest signals since they are mixing steady green and flashing red.

SM-A515U

PurdueBill

Quote from: 5foot14 on June 24, 2021, 09:29:34 AM

Quote from: PurdueBill on June 23, 2021, 05:23:26 PM
I can't believe I forgot this one in Salem; It has two flashing greens facing one way and the other way there is one flashing green angled at Winter Street (route 1A) while the other head faces traffic with a stop on Washington Square and has a bottom red.  https://goo.gl/maps/Qkbq3kjwgjUUiZMGALike many others, it has an extra pedestrian button on a short pole for a crosswalk that doesn't even have a signal itself.I can't believe I forgot this one; I remember it so well from so many times seeing it from when I was young through the last time through Salem.  Still there as of November.

I remember this one too, but I don't think the greens flash only the bottom red flashes. If you move around in GSV you can get a shot of the red on and off, but the green lights are always on even when the red is off. Come to think of it that makes it probably one of the weirdest signals since they are mixing steady green and flashing red.

SM-A515U

They must have changed it from longer ago (when I was young) when I remember it flashing--probably to comply better although a steady green and a flashing red at the same corner is not all that great really, even if the light isn't really "for" the corner (as it de facto is for the corner with the one head facing another street).  Between that and the two on North Street gone, Salem really got aggressive.  At least they made up for it with installing some overhead that didn't used to be on Lafayette.

roadman65

According to BridgeHunter.com the Bourne Bridge between Plymouth and Barnstable Counties carrying MA 28 was opened to traffic in 1935, and rehabilitated in 1982.  In addition the bridge carrying MA 28 over US 6 north of the Plymouth County Approach looks like it was totally replaced as well as it looks more late 20th Century design over the 1930 era like the main bridge next to it.

If memory serves me correct as I do remember crossing under it on US 6 returning from Plymouth, MA on a trip in 1970 and remember a center pier in the middle of the older bridge instead of the current one.  I would guess that being US 6 is a four lane undivided roadway there, it would make sense for safety that if a bridge did once have piers in the middle without a protected median, that a new build would use a new support method above and eliminate the piers.

My question is after seeing the bridge on Street View yesterday, I then figured out my memories of two look a like bridges  along a waterway was not from a trip out west I thought I remembered if from, but from the 1970 trip to Plymouth, MA when I was 5 years of age.  So was I correct in that assessment?

I know going back to the early eighties is very distant and some here were not yet born, but not a big deal.  Its no life or death situation to remember exact details, but just to answer some not so important curiousity.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SectorZ

Quote from: roadman65 on June 30, 2021, 11:16:05 AM
According to BridgeHunter.com the Bourne Bridge between Plymouth and Barnstable Counties carrying MA 28 was opened to traffic in 1935, and rehabilitated in 1982.  In addition the bridge carrying MA 28 over US 6 north of the Plymouth County Approach looks like it was totally replaced as well as it looks more late 20th Century design over the 1930 era like the main bridge next to it.

If memory serves me correct as I do remember crossing under it on US 6 returning from Plymouth, MA on a trip in 1970 and remember a center pier in the middle of the older bridge instead of the current one.  I would guess that being US 6 is a four lane undivided roadway there, it would make sense for safety that if a bridge did once have piers in the middle without a protected median, that a new build would use a new support method above and eliminate the piers.

My question is after seeing the bridge on Street View yesterday, I then figured out my memories of two look a like bridges  along a waterway was not from a trip out west I thought I remembered if from, but from the 1970 trip to Plymouth, MA when I was 5 years of age.  So was I correct in that assessment?

I know going back to the early eighties is very distant and some here were not yet born, but not a big deal.  Its no life or death situation to remember exact details, but just to answer some not so important curiousity.

While I don't know about the old bridge design, looks like 1985 when 25 was completed to the Bourne Bridge was when the new one was built, https://goo.gl/maps/yc66KUriKRqKujmB7

If you look at Historic Aerials, in 1991 the modern bridge is there, but 1971 it's a totally different bridge that isn't in the same place as the new one (it's angled more to the NW/SE to curl around to US 6).

[Edited to add info]

roadman65

Well knowing what design was used back then is not all that to want to know urgently.  However, the aerials of the Sagamore Rotary exist up to 2005.  It also shows that the rotary was south of the current interchange and a parking lot exists where the current exit ramps are on WB US 6/NB MA 3.  Find that interesting as nowhere in the country has a roundabout on a freeway like MA did early this century and before.

Then again the Sagamore Bridge is not a freeway as it has narrow lanes and no divider either, but I am sure that coming south on MA 3 gave motorists a shock having to slowdown to yield like US 6 does further west into Bear Mountain, NY's circle.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

RobbieL2415

Quote from: roadman65 on June 30, 2021, 05:09:22 PM
Well knowing what design was used back then is not all that to want to know urgently.  However, the aerials of the Sagamore Rotary exist up to 2005.  It also shows that the rotary was south of the current interchange and a parking lot exists where the current exit ramps are on WB US 6/NB MA 3.  Find that interesting as nowhere in the country has a roundabout on a freeway like MA did early this century and before.

Then again the Sagamore Bridge is not a freeway as it has narrow lanes and no divider either, but I am sure that coming south on MA 3 gave motorists a shock having to slowdown to yield like US 6 does further west into Bear Mountain, NY's circle.
Right now, the design flaw in the flyover is that MA 3 SB has to go down to one lane to let US 6 E join.
They had the forethought to make the bridge over Meetinghouse Ln. wide enough for two lanes SB.

MA 25 would be even easier to widen for a new Bourne Bridge. I wish one of the solutions was an 8-lane suspension bridge and a new freeway extension straight across that empty land in Sandwich to (former) Exit 2, US 6.

SectorZ

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on July 01, 2021, 07:38:52 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on June 30, 2021, 05:09:22 PM

Right now, the design flaw in the flyover is that MA 3 SB has to go down to one lane to let US 6 E join.
They had the forethought to make the bridge over Meetinghouse Ln. wide enough for two lanes SB.

MA 25 would be even easier to widen for a new Bourne Bridge. I wish one of the solutions was an 8-lane suspension bridge and a new freeway extension straight across that empty land in Sandwich to (former) Exit 2, US 6.

Well at least the $1B in alleged costs being budgeted for road upgrades for both bridge's approaches will fix a ton of those deficiencies.

RobbieL2415

Saw some weird-looking clearings on the WB side of the Mid-Cape Highway between (former) exit 11 and the Orleans rotary. They didn't look like drainage ditches and had gravel paths laid out. Any idea what those are for?

Roadgeekteen

MASSDOT needs to fix the MA 20 signs in Weston, the signs look quite news and it's annoying.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SectorZ

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 06, 2021, 11:36:41 AM
MASSDOT needs to fix the MA 20 signs in Weston, the signs look quite news and it's annoying.

If you were given a dollar for every US route signed as a state route in the state, you'd have your pick of most of the homes in your town mortgage-free.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: SectorZ on July 06, 2021, 03:25:20 PM

If you were given a dollar for every US route signed as a state route in the state, you'd have your pick of most of the homes in your town mortgage-free.
As well as Delaware state route signs finding their way into Massachusetts.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

paul02474

You could certainly afford a large home in Weston or Wayland.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: paul02474 on July 09, 2021, 01:27:29 PM

I've seen MA 202 signs as well.

SectorZ

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 09, 2021, 01:40:48 PM

I am pretty sure I've seen all the US routes with state route shields in Mass, maybe with the exception of US 7 but it's because it's the one I've been on the least.

Also I-190 gets relegated to a US route, https://goo.gl/maps/sPpqaisw1S4ntjdP7

Alps

Quote from: SectorZ on July 09, 2021, 04:54:34 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 09, 2021, 01:40:48 PM

I am pretty sure I've seen all the US routes with state route shields in Mass, maybe with the exception of US 7 but it's because it's the one I've been on the least.

Also I-190 gets relegated to a US route, https://goo.gl/maps/sPpqaisw1S4ntjdP7
There is only one MA 1 I've ever seen. Pretty sure I've seen a 7.

hotdogPi

There's a MA 1 at the MA 62 cloverleaf (I think on 62 eastbound before the bridge). Is that the one you're thinking of?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

SectorZ

Quote from: 1 on July 09, 2021, 05:59:20 PM
There's a MA 1 at the MA 62 cloverleaf (I think on 62 eastbound before the bridge). Is that the one you're thinking of?

https://goo.gl/maps/MF5o1wcVe2AAaBpF9
One I pass frequently on bike rides.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.