News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Flag Genealogy

Started by kurumi, April 26, 2024, 11:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

There are likely some vexillologists in here with some good insights.

It's mildly interesting that:
* the Union Jack combines the English, Scottish, and Irish flags (a cross and two saltires)
* a few national flags (AU, NZ, Fiji, Tuvalu) include the Union Jack in the canton (upper pole side)
* in a way, these flags have three "grandfathers"

I wonder if any flags have four or more generations that are visible
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Rothman

I did like the idea that the Scottish cross would have to be removed from the UK flag if they seceded. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

The state flag of Hawaii also includes the Union Flag in the top left corner.

From the British standpoint, with one exception, including the three elements in the flag makes eminent sense because the "United" part of the name "United Kingdom" refers to what the Brits regard as four countries—England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. (If you've flown from Europe to the USA on British Airways, you may have heard them remind Brits to put "UK" in the country field on the customs declaration form, not "England" or "Scotland," because CBP won't accept the latter.) That, in turn, raises the exception—Wales is not reflected on the flag and it's a matter of some annoyance to some Welsh folks. A common suggestion is to include the Welsh dragon at the center of the Union Flag. (I think, though I'm not certain, the practical reason why Wales isn't on there is that England had essentially conquered Wales several centuries prior to the 1707 Act of Union creating the United Kingdom.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.