News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unpopular opinions (non road related)

Started by Roadgeekteen, March 30, 2021, 09:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayhawkCO

Quote from: hbelkins on March 31, 2021, 03:03:40 PM
The written word is preferable to audio or video of the same content. I would much rather read a transcript of an interview, or a summary, than have to sit through a 30-minute YouTube video.

100% this.  If I'm scrolling through cnn.com or something like that, if it's a video, I won't even bother.  In general, I'm quickly glancing at these maybe while I have a free second at work or I'm waiting in line at the grocery store.  I don't want anything with volume then.  I want to read.

Chris

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on March 31, 2021, 11:55:35 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 31, 2021, 11:35:59 AM
My preference would be to have the authentic stuff (which is also accessible at a Taco Trucks and restaurants around me) over something like Taco Bell or a similar fast food chain.  That said, I do tend to roll my eyes at my own family members in the Midwest which seem to have Taco Bell as some sort of weird fixation.

I guess my point is that it doesn't "pale in comparison to the real thing" because, in my mind at least, they're two different types of food.  One is Mexican food and the other is American-Mexican food.  No point in trying to compare them, any more than comparing Panda Express to food in China.

That's the thing, if those around me were classifying them as different than I could see the merit to what they say.  The trouble is they lump everything into an umbrella "Mexican Food"  when it is more of a American style Taco Bell-like experience.  Granted I noticed they do the same thing with places like Panda Express compared to true Chinese food. 

Max Rockatansky

Putting down roots in a place is an antiquated and burdensome concept.  Moving from place to place to pursue opportunities consistently has been one of the most enjoyable things I've done in my adult life. 

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 31, 2021, 03:10:36 PM

Quote from: interstatefan990 on March 31, 2021, 12:57:25 PM
Here we go:

-Brushing your teeth in the morning is unnecessary and overrated. I've pretty much never done it since I was a kid and my dentist has never found a problem with my teeth.

Whereas since I've been working from home, I now normally brush my teeth three times a day (morning, after lunch, and at night) and when I went to the dentist for a cleaning last month, he seemed to do considerably less picking and scraping with that sharp metal thing. Reducing that is a very good thing from my point of view! (I normally floss only at night, though, unless I get something caught between my teeth and it starts getting on my nerves.)

Whereas I haven't been to a dentist in more than 15 years.

There's another unpopular opinion for you:  Oral hygiene in general is overrated.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

Patents should not exist. If something is legitimately the best idea, it should be available to everyone.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: 1 on March 31, 2021, 04:44:37 PM
Patents should not exist. If something is legitimately the best idea, it should be available to everyone.

So you'd be cool if you spent millions of dollars in research and development for a product and someone could just take what you made, break it down to learn how to do it, and then make it for themselves, undercutting you?

Chris

kphoger

Patents should not exist.

Thought that said 'Parents' at first reading...
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Quote from: jayhawkco on March 31, 2021, 04:47:48 PM

So you'd be cool if you spent millions of dollars in research and development for a product and someone could just take what you made, break it down to learn how to do it, and then make it for themselves, undercutting you?

Chris

Preventing that problem is exactly why that clause is in the Constitution: "The Congress shall have Power ... To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries ...." U.S. Const. art. I, § 8, cl. 8.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hotdogPi

What would happen if Microsoft was not allowed to have computer mice, particularly in the days before laptops? (This never became a problem in the real world because the patents belonged to companies producing computer parts, not companies that sold full computers.)
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kkt

Quote from: 1 on March 31, 2021, 05:04:25 PM
What would happen if Microsoft was not allowed to have computer mice, particularly in the days before laptops? (This never became a problem in the real world because the patents belonged to companies producing computer parts, not companies that sold full computers.)

Hm?  The computer mouse was demonstrated at the Mother of All Demos, in 1968.  Pretty sure the patent was expired before Microsoft got around to making them.

oscar

Quote from: interstatefan990 on March 31, 2021, 12:57:25 PM
-A college degree should not be a requirement for a high-paying job.

Being a college dropout didn't stop Bill Gates, or other tech moguls. Beyond such edge cases, creating your own business, and being good at it, generally is a good way to overcome the lack of a degree.

While I wouldn't overgeneralize your point, I agree there's too much reliance on expensive credentials for jobs that can be done with a decent high school education.

-No person should be richer than 1 billion dollars.

Uh, like college dropout Bill Gates?

my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

kphoger

A former roommate of mine got a night job at UPS.  He asked his boss what the key was to success at UPS.  The answer was "show up".  And that's the key to success in many fields.
Male pronouns, please.

Big John

interstatefan990

Sorry for the excessively long post, but new replies kept being posted as I was typing.  :spin:

Quote from: kphoger on March 31, 2021, 02:08:52 PM
I agree that a DL shouldn't be taken away from things that are not driving-related.  However, "tickets in a certain time period" could be a reasonable proxy for determining who is a safe driver and who is not, and a person should be able to appeal a DL suspension/revocation.

Here in NY, you lose your license after any three speeding tickets, or two if they are in a work zone. To me that's not enough. It should be more like 5 speeding tickets of 1-10 MPH over, 4 speeding tickets of 11-20 over, or 2 speeding tickets of 21-30 over. The current policy I do agree with, however, is immediate license suspension upon conviction of speeding 40+ MPH over, which is an 11-point offense and instantly puts you at the 11 point threshold for having your license taken away.

Quote from: kphoger on March 31, 2021, 02:08:52 PM
Yep, I understand that many people are like that.  I'm just not one of them.

(By the way, "unless they're really old and aren't going to be around much longer anyway" might betray just a touch of hypocrisy.  Would you have a problem if I said I had gotten rid of my sister just because she was really old and not going to be around much longer anyway?  I assume that would bother you, which means pets aren't quite the same as family members, even to you.)

The value we put on human life is much greater than the value we put on animal life. One would get offended if you said "I'm getting rid of my sister because she's old anyway", but that's because humans have consciousness and intelligence. Pets don't understand when you're *getting rid* of them, hence why it's ethical to put them down to put them out of their suffering or old age. And "family member" doesn't mean you care about your dog more than your sibling, it just means you have a deeper emotional connection to him/her.

Whereas since I've been working from home, I now normally brush my teeth three times a day (morning, after lunch, and at night) and when I went to the dentist for a cleaning last month, he seemed to do considerably less picking and scraping with that sharp metal thing. Reducing that is a very good thing from my point of view! (I normally floss only at night, though, unless I get something caught between my teeth and it starts getting on my nerves.)

Kudos to you. I could never. Once a day before I go to bed is enough brushing for me.

Quote from: kphoger on March 31, 2021, 03:29:26 PM

There's another unpopular opinion for you:  Oral hygiene in general is overrated.

Is there a specific reason why? You'd at least want to get checked for gum disease or cavities.

Try telling that second line to a woman you want to date and see how that works out for you.  :biggrin:

Quote from: stridentweasel on March 31, 2021, 05:03:18 PM
It's not.  Be a trucker!  I have several college degrees, but getting the job I had as an over-the-road trucker only required four weeks of training to pass the CDL exam, and it was more money than I ever made before, and probably more money than I'll ever make again.

I'd probably find it too difficult to stay fit and healthy if I'm sitting in a seat on the road all the time. I'd also need something a little more energizing as well. And road tests give me anxiety. I took my passenger car road test many years ago and I still get nervous every time I think about it.

Quote from: stridentweasel on March 31, 2021, 05:03:18 PM
Well, I guess, don't be a trucker if you can't pass that thing.  Frankly, nervous breakdowns from fear of having an accident that could hurt someone is what ended what would have otherwise been a very fruitful career for me.

But more to the other point, the older I get, the more I realize that a ton of the good-paying jobs don't require a bachelor's, master's, or Ph.D.  You can invest much less time in school and get training in HVAC, plumbing, electrical work, or something along those lines, and make way more money than anything I would do with my college degrees.

(Then why do I have so many degrees?  I'm an over-privileged trust fund kid.  There, I said it, and if you want to hate me for something, then hate me for that please.)

The real problem is the truckers who don't get nervous. The ones who road rage and get reckless, using the size of their vehicle to assert dominance. I hate those truckers, and they need their licenses taken away.

I've heard a lot about those jobs, and I always wonder, if it's so high-paying and degree-less, then why doesn't everyone do it? Makes me a tiny bit suspicious.

Quote from: oscar on March 31, 2021, 05:39:39 PM
Being a college dropout didn't stop Bill Gates, or other tech moguls. Beyond such edge cases, creating your own business, and being good at it, generally is a good way to overcome the lack of a degree.

While I wouldn't overgeneralize your point, I agree there's too much reliance on expensive credentials for jobs that can be done with a decent high school education.

I kinda wouldn't put Bill Gates and "create your own business" in the same sentence. Small businesses suffer these days, choked by corporations. Only a select lucky few will be any bigger than a handful of locations. But yes, many people do find success in opening businesses, though the majority have too many reservations about entering the professional world without a college degree.

Quote from: oscar on March 31, 2021, 05:39:39 PM
Uh, like college dropout Bill Gates?

And Jeff Bezos.

Quote from: kphoger on March 31, 2021, 05:41:10 PM
A former roommate of mine got a night job at UPS.  He asked his boss what the key was to success at UPS.  The answer was "show up".  And that's the key to success in many fields.

I could show up to my minimum wage McDonald's job, doesn't mean I'm going to see increased success. But yeah, being present can make you look like a better employee and more professional person overall.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

1995hoo

Quote from: interstatefan990 on March 31, 2021, 06:03:54 PM

Kudos to you. I could never. Once a day before I go to bed is enough brushing for me.

I should probably clarify that I've used an electric toothbrush since the 1990s, so brushing more often is a trivial matter to me.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Scott5114

Here's an unpopular opinion: hard work and dependability doesn't get you ahead in life, it just gets you exploited by someone who will take credit for your hard work and dependability. Which is why the value of hard work is drilled into everyone–the powerful need suckers to believe that so they have someone to take advantage of.

source: personal experience
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 31, 2021, 09:37:01 PM
Here's an unpopular opinion: hard work and dependability doesn't get you ahead in life, it just gets you exploited by someone who will take credit for your hard work and dependability. Which is why the value of hard work is drilled into everyone–the powerful need suckers to believe that so they have someone to take advantage of.

That's why I don't more than 40 hours anymore unless it's an actual "real"  emergency.  People over value things like never calling out and always being available off the clock. 

corco

Here's an unpopular opinion: hard work and dependability doesn't get you ahead in life, it just gets you exploited by someone who will take credit for your hard work and dependability. Which is why the value of hard work is drilled into everyone—the powerful need suckers to believe that so they have someone to take advantage of.

Fully agreed on that - I run when I hear managers/co-workers brag about how many hours they work. It either means you're 1) too incompetent/bad at managing time to get your work done during business hours (this seems like it happens a lot) or 2) you have a terrible job. Either way it's not something to be proud of and I don't respect you or think more highly of you as a worker for it. It just makes me question your competence or judgement.

hbelkins

Quote from: corco on March 31, 2021, 09:58:37 PM

Fully agreed on that - I run when I hear managers/co-workers brag about how many hours they work. It either means you're 1) too incompetent/bad at managing time to get your work done during business hours (this seems like it happens a lot) or 2) you have a terrible job. Either way it's not something to be proud of and I don't respect you or think more highly of you as a worker for it. It just makes me question your competence or judgement.

Some things are no respecters of what time it is. Rocks don't fall, floods don't happen, mudslides don't occur, etc., strictly between 8 and 4:30. Some people have jobs that require them to respond to things at all hours. I was putting in 10- and 11-hour days during recent ice storms and flooding because that's the nature of my job.

As to some other things mentioned:

Brushing teeth: I'm in the habit of brushing my teeth every time I shower. And I generally take a shower in the morning before going to work (pre-pandemic; my showering has greatly decreased since I've been working from home) instead of the night before. I also brush them if I'm going somewhere without showering (such as a Saturday store run) because I'm not a fan of bad breath.

HVAC/auto repair work/carpentry/ect.: I wish I had the aptitude and physical ability to do those things. I could have made a decent career out of it and also saved myself a lot of money for repairs. While there may not be a huge market for majors in African-American lesbian womens gender studies, a plumber or auto mechanic will always be in demand.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Zeffy

The written word is preferable to audio or video of the same content. I would much rather read a transcript of an interview, or a summary, than have to sit through a 30-minute YouTube video.

Thank god I'm not the only one.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Zeffy on April 01, 2021, 02:02:49 PM

Thank god I'm not the only one.

I would like to but my focus gets broken too much by external factors that it usually impractical aside from work.

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on March 31, 2021, 03:29:26 PM

Is there a specific reason why? You'd at least want to get checked for gum disease or cavities.

I generally don't go to the doctor unless something's wrong.  Checkups of any kind are just not really a "thing" for me.  So no, I don't particularly "want to get checked for gum disease or cavities".

For what it's worth, the last time I went to the dentist, I had gum disease and receive a deep-cleaning for it.  Maybe I have it again/still but, unless it's causing me pain, I don't really care.  I can still chew, and that's what teeth are for, after all.

Cavities?  Yeah, I probably have some of those.  I had four molar fillings from back when I was a kid.  One of them came out while I was chewing gum back in 2009 or so, so I just had a hole in my tooth for a decade.  In 2019, part of the remaining tooth broke off while eating lunch.  Eventually, I'll probably need to go in and have it extracted, possibly with a root canal, but I see little point in doing so before it starts causing me pain.  Until then, I just pick bits of food out of my tooth with a toothpick.  (That gets kind of interesting when it's a piece of black pepper that got stuck, then I pick it out and chew it.  Surprise!)

Try telling that second line to a woman you want to date and see how that works out for you.  :biggrin:

You mean my wife? who also hasn't been to the dentist in at least as long as me?  Yeah, no problem on that front, sir.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on April 01, 2021, 01:59:47 PM
While there may not be a huge market for majors in African-American lesbian womens gender studies, a plumber or auto mechanic will always be in demand.

I've been thinking about steering our sons toward skilled labor, rather than telling them they can make a living designing games or encouraging them to incur tens of thousands of dollars in student loan debt.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: corco on March 31, 2021, 09:58:37 PM

Hard work and dependability is usually part of what helps you get ahead, but it's certainly not the full picture. I believe in working smarter, not harder, and I must agree that longer hours (and especially talking about your long hours) doesn't do anybody any good.

kkt

Here in NY, you lose your license after any three speeding tickets, or two if they are in a work zone. To me that's not enough. It should be more like 5 speeding tickets of 1-10 MPH over, 4 speeding tickets of 11-20 over, or 2 speeding tickets of 21-30 over. The current policy I do agree with, however, is immediate license suspension upon conviction of speeding 40+ MPH over, which is an 11-point offense and instantly puts you at the 11 point threshold for having your license taken away.

Three speeding tickets is a lot!  Most places cops aren't eager to write tickets for less than 10 over on a wide open highway anyway.  Someone who gets that many tickets needs to work on better habits, or else learn to live with public transit, and I am okay with their license being suspended to provide some motivation.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.