News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Music genres you consider opposites

Started by Pink Jazz, September 20, 2023, 03:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Jazz

I was wondering, if you would consider two music genres opposites, what would they be?

I would consider smooth jazz and country to be polar opposites. Smooth jazz is a genre that is pink and smooth, while country is a genre that is brown and honky-tonky.

TheHighwayMan3561

Progressive rock and punk rock, if only because one of the reasons for the musical emergence of the punk movement was rebelling against the perceived excesses of prog rock.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

JayhawkCO

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kurumi

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 20, 2023, 03:41:08 PM
Progressive rock and punk rock, if only because one of the reasons for the musical emergence of the punk movement was rebelling against the perceived excesses of prog rock.

When bands like Cardiacs manage to do well mixing both, it's a notable thing
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

gonealookin

Jam and pop.  In pop every note is rehearsed and fits in a specific place; (good) jamming is about the improvisation resulting from communication between the musicians.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on September 21, 2023, 11:50:08 AM
Rap/hip-hop and everything else.

Actually...  How about...

rap / instrumental music
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

mgk920

Hard core rap and Muzak (remember that?)

Mike

wanderer2575

Quote from: kphoger on September 21, 2023, 12:19:12 PM

Actually...  How about...

rap / instrumental music

You win the thread!

Humorist Dave Barry's description of rap:  "A bunch of angry men shouting, possibly because the person who was supposed to provide them with a melody never showed up."

brad.jons

For me, I have this pair in mind:

- Classic music vs Electro music

Henry

Rock & roll and Top-40:

Rock & roll uses real instruments (guitars, drums, pianos, horns, etc.), and Top-40 uses a bunch of fake sounds coming from a keyboard synthesizer.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

MikieTimT

DTComposer

Quote from: Henry on September 21, 2023, 10:05:46 PM
Rock & roll and Top-40:

Rock & roll uses real instruments (guitars, drums, pianos, horns, etc.), and Top-40 uses a bunch of fake sounds coming from a keyboard synthesizer.

Why are the sounds "fake"? Are we unable to hear them? Do they not actually exist?

For opposites in both sound and intent, how about Baroque and Classical periods (i.e. Handel through Beethoven), much of which was written in service of institutions of authority (the church and the monarchy), and punk, much of which was written to tear down those same institutions.

kphoger

Quote from: DTComposer on September 22, 2023, 11:57:54 AM

Quote from: Henry on September 21, 2023, 10:05:46 PM
Rock & roll and Top-40:

Why are the sounds "fake"? Are we unable to hear them? Do they not actually exist?

To expand on that...  How is a keyboard synthesizer any more "fake" than an electric guitar running through effects pedals?
Male pronouns, please.

The Nature Boy

I would argue that rap and country are very similar, at least in concept. Both started out as an art form for working class expression but the mainstream form of each became so commercialized that it's unrecognizable today.

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

bugo

Quote from: MikieTimT on September 22, 2023, 08:58:46 AM
Gospel and hip-hop.

A lot of modern rap has a strong gospel influence. Hip hop is an incredibly diverse genre. and DJs and producers borrow from all different kinds of music.

QuoteHumorist Dave Barry's description of rap:  "A bunch of angry men shouting, possibly because the person who was supposed to provide them with a melody never showed up."

[/quote]

What in the fuck is that supposed to mean? There's no such thing as a "fake" or "real" sound. I don't know if you're attempting to distinguish between analog sounds and digital sounds, but a lot of early keyboards like the Moog synthesizers were analog. A guitar chord is no more valid than a beep you created in Audacity and modified and used in a song.

Your head is about to explode, but there are guitar synths. Judas Priest infamously used guitar synths on the Turbo album. I played one about 30 years ago, and it was pretty cool. One of the presets was a drumkit, and each string was a different drum. It would have taken a lot of energy into playing a beat with a guitar, but it could be done.

kphoger

Quote from: bugo on October 31, 2023, 10:20:14 PM
I played one about 30 years ago, and it was pretty cool. One of the presets was a drumkit, and each string was a different drum. It would have taken a lot of energy into playing a beat with a guitar, but it could be done.

Then there's Roy Wooten's "SynthAxe Drumitar".

Male pronouns, please.

thspfc

I would say it's most opposite of country.

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on September 21, 2023, 12:19:12 PM
rap / instrumental music

Quote from: thspfc on November 01, 2023, 10:53:32 AM
I would say it's most opposite of country.

I chose instrumental music because rap is chiefly defined by its lyrics.  The concept of rap with no lyrics breaks my brain.
Male pronouns, please.

ErmineNotyours

Gospel and hip-hop.

A lot of modern rap has a strong gospel influence. Hip hop is an incredibly diverse genre. and DJs and producers borrow from all different kinds of music.

QuoteHumorist Dave Barry's description of rap:  "A bunch of angry men shouting, possibly because the person who was supposed to provide them with a melody never showed up."

QuoteRock & roll uses real instruments (guitars, drums, pianos, horns, etc.), and Top-40 uses a bunch of fake sounds coming from a keyboard synthesizer.

What in the fuck is that supposed to mean? There's no such thing as a "fake" or "real" sound. I don't know if you're attempting to distinguish between analog sounds and digital sounds, but a lot of early keyboards like the Moog synthesizers were analog. A guitar chord is no more valid than a beep you created in Audacity and modified and used in a song.

Your head is about to explode, but there are guitar synths. Judas Priest infamously used guitar synths on the Turbo album. I played one about 30 years ago, and it was pretty cool. One of the presets was a drumkit, and each string was a different drum. It would have taken a lot of energy into playing a beat with a guitar, but it could be done.

While Autotune has been around for a while, there has been a recent trend of beats snapped to a grid, or a drum machine that doesn't obviously sound like a drum machine at first.  "Real" music, that is music descended from blues, is looser and not always on the beat, so modern processed music seems too antiseptic.  Or at least that's my excuse for not keeping up with new genres.

kphoger

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on November 01, 2023, 11:02:14 AM
While Autotune has been around for a while, there has been a recent trend of beats snapped to a grid, or a drum machine that doesn't obviously sound like a drum machine at first.  "Real" music, that is music descended from blues, is looser and not always on the beat, so modern processed music seems too antiseptic.  Or at least that's my excuse for not keeping up with new genres.

If a beat held strictly to tempo is what disqualifies music as "real music", then you just disqualified Mozart.  While rubato melody was normal during his time, he insisted that the underlying accompaniment (i.e., the beat) be kept to a very strict tempo.  I believe even Chopin, famous for his rubato, may have similarly kept a strict beat while allowing the melody a great deal of liberty—even between right hand and left hand in the same piano piece.
Male pronouns, please.

bm7

Gospel and hip-hop.

QuoteRock & roll uses real instruments (guitars, drums, pianos, horns, etc.), and Top-40 uses a bunch of fake sounds coming from a keyboard synthesizer.

Electronically composed music (I assume that's what you mean by "beats snapped to a grid") isn't a new thing, DAW software have been very widely used for music production since the early 90s. So if you consider that to be "fake", it's been around for over 30 years now, just as long as autotune has.

Saying that "real music" is music that came after blues doesn't make much sense to me either. Was all music before blues fake as well? And besides that, when listening to non-electronic/"real" music, I've never noticed anything being off-beat unless the person playing the instrument messed up, which is very rare in an officially released recording.

bugo

Recent? They've been using DAWs since the 1980s, and click tracks even further back. Rick Beato has talked about this on his channel. As for the only authentic music being blues, that's total nonsense. Classical music is not based on blues. A lot of rock bands have purged any traces of blues out of their sound. I don't completely disagree with you about programmed drums, but they have a time and a place and should not be discarded just because you feel that they are "fake". A processed guitar tone is "fake". Anything played on a synthesizer is "fake". A lot of bands use digital amp and speaker modelling instead of lugging heavy Marshall stacks around with them, because it is so much easier to deal with.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.