News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Anybody else on LinkedIn

Started by NWI_Irish96, October 24, 2023, 05:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

I know a lot of you want to remain anonymous, but for those who don't and who have a LinkedIn profile, feel free to click the LinkedIn button in my profile and send me a connection request.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Rothman

Heh.  My profile on there has been mainly dormant.  I just don't see the point in my profession.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

I had one for years when it was considered the prudent thing to have when seeking a job.  Once I obtained my current job in 2013 I deleted my profile.  My hiring manager actually did ask if I had an account when I interviewed with him.

bing101

I have a Linkedin account and yes its used to contact division supervisors specifically.

triplemultiplex

I forgot my password years and years ago, but the damn thing still sends me spams.

"TWO people are looking at your profile!"  Great. <delete>
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

hbelkins

Yes, I have LinkedIn, but no, I don't really use it.

I've found that I get a lot of "connect" requests from Facebook friends and people with whom I don't have a professional relationship. Too many treat it as just another social media networking site/app and not as a way to build and maintain professional connections that can lead to better job opportunities.

I've been told that it's prudent to have a LinkedIn account to make yourself known to headhunters, but it's been so long since I've had an unsolicited legitimate job offer or request for an interview or application that LinkedIn is basically worthless to me.

At one time, I tried to maintain an up-to-date profile there, but basically just said "screw it" and I just delete the "so-and-so wants to connect" emails I get.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JayhawkCO

I've never set one up. I'm probably the only person in my company that doesn't have one. I've never needed it to get a job until now, so not going to bother.

GaryV

I created an account 15 years ago when I was out of work. I updated it with my new degree a couple years later, and with my new job. But I don't think I updated it with my most recent job, nor with my retirement. Every once in a while I get an email about someone commenting to me - and if I bother to go to look at it, there's a bunch of messages I haven't read.

andrepoiy

I've got one and a lot of people my age do.

In_Correct

Ironically I limit my appearances in public videos to being background extras in other peoples vlogs, with absolutely no social media connections in their video descriptions, by request. I also keep my Resume published and updated on numerous Job Search Sites.

I loathe Social Media, and no longer use it beyond that. Years ago, I looked up a school teacher on Facebook that moved away and seemed to be one of several that had difficulty in getting a job at the area. She had published her resume on Facebook, which motivated me to publish my resume, albeit on dedicated Job Search Sites instead. Her resume consists of a degree in Radio Television and being in Public Relations for ~20 years: 17 and a half years at a state college, three at a university. One year as a full time high school teacher commuting to a district, another year as a full time teacher commuting to another district, a year as a local substitute teacher mostly for an alcoholic man whose department was going to be downsized any ways. Either way he was going to go, and when he walked out, she took his job. The next year, she took a part time teaching job at the same building, with the first semester of the next year being the Suspension Monitor. After that she went back to Substitute Teaching, mainly for a lady that had back surgery. I found out that when she ( EDIT: the same teacher I am talking about, not the one that had back surgery. ) moved, she accepted a Full Time Commute Job as a High School Freshman Advisor Sponsor Some Thing Or Other, for 15 Years, and then retired after the year of Lock Downs.

And during that same year, a different school teacher that moved on to being a Staff Accountant kept her credientials active thus returned to teaching for three years. When she quit again, she was replaced by another Nonconsecutive Teacher that owns a Costume Shop.

I found that School Teachers seem to like publishing their Resumes some times on Face Book, and any time on Linked In, even one particular school teacher that for some reason was not listed in the Staff Directory on the school's web site, yet is on Linked In ?!

And aside from School Teachers, I was also impressed with the careers of Game Show Hosts.

I decided to publish my Resume on Job Search Sites. Indeed has a very bad Resume Builder; It does not let you add to it. I was also not impressed with Monster either. I added my Resume to Career Builder, downloaded it, and uploaded it to both Indeed, and Monster.

Also moments of publishing my resume on Career Builder, I got an email ( probably automated ) from a Job Recruiter.

Glass Door seems to compete with Linked In. There is too much Social Trash on it, and I was unable to add my Resume to Glass Door.

And since Linked In is oriented towards Social Trash, I am not interested in useing Facebook, Linked In, or any thing else also is collosal waste of time.

Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Yes I have a LinkedIn account, no I don't really do much with it.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Jim

I'm not on Facebook, so I find LinkedIn to be a pretty useful way to share some professional information and to keep up with former students and colleagues.  I'm at https://www.linkedin.com/in/jim-teresco-9537643/ if anyone wants to connect.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

golden eagle

I have LinkedIn, but don't do much with it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.