News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Neediest Cities in America (2024)

Started by ZLoth, January 02, 2024, 10:27:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

From NerdWallet:

Neediest Cities in America (2024)
QuoteHunger, poverty and homelessness affect every nation — even the richest and most powerful. In 2022, 11.5% of the U.S. population lived in poverty. As we continue to deal with the economic fallout of inflation, it's important to help our existing impoverished population and ensure we minimize the number of new people who fall into poverty.

On the heels of our report on the most charitable states, WalletHub compared more than 180 U.S. cities based on 28 key indicators of economic disadvantage, such as child poverty, food insecurity and uninsured rates.
FULL ARTICLE HERE

Of the top ten, Detroit, Mi is number one. Of the three Texas cities listed in the top ten, two are on the US-Mexico border. Oklahoma doesn't even represent until Tulsa shows up at number 32.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Max Rockatansky

Amusingly I live in what they define as number three (Fresno) and I am from the number one (Detroit).  Perhaps since Wallethub is involved perhaps this is some sort of play at revenge by Lord Carhorn?  :rolleyes:

Rothman

Ah, Wallethub...listing Albany, Buffalo, Rochester and NYC, but not Syracuse...

To the dustbin, where it belongs.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

mgk920

Right now, I would rank both Chicago and NYC far higher than Detroit on this list.  The central Detroit areas are doing quite well these days.

Mike

GaryV

Quote from: mgk920 on January 02, 2024, 02:09:40 PM
Right now, I would rank both Chicago and NYC far higher than Detroit on this list.  The central Detroit areas are doing quite well these days.

Mike
But most of the people don't live in the central (Downtown, New Center) areas.

Flint1979

Detroit is a lot better than some cities.

Max Rockatansky

I'm trying to figure out how there is an overcrowding of housing units problem either here in Fresno or Detroit?  With the latter, that's certainly a stretch given the city population has shrink by 2/3 since 1950.

ZLoth

Dallas, Texas is ranked 42. When looking at the reasons why, they are looking at the actual cities instead of the Metropolitan Statistical Areas. Some of the suburb cities of the DFW area are better than downtown Dallas itself. Checking the list some more....

42 - Dallas
76 - Grand Prairie
79 - Garland
87 - Irving
91 - Arlington
97 - Fort Worth
168 - Plano

Shrug. I got this from a friend who lived in #12.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

MikieTimT

Quote from: ZLoth on January 02, 2024, 10:20:48 PM
Dallas, Texas is ranked 42. When looking at the reasons why, they are looking at the actual cities instead of the Metropolitan Statistical Areas. Some of the suburb cities of the DFW area are better than downtown Dallas itself. Checking the list some more....

42 - Dallas
76 - Grand Prairie
79 - Garland
87 - Irving
91 - Arlington
97 - Fort Worth
168 - Plano

Shrug. I got this from a friend who lived in #12.

My brother also lived in #12 after graduating high school, which was in a small town where everyone worked and shopped in #12.  Then, he went to #9 and got engaged to a woman he was dating for several years that had a kid.  Didn't work out and he moved to #32.  Spent a few years there, then got wanderlust again and moved to #141 where he's been for a decade and a half.  Probably be there for another half decade too.  He never did get married.  Personally, I think he's been looking for water in the desert myself, but it's his life.

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on January 02, 2024, 02:07:28 PM

Quote from: 1 on January 02, 2024, 10:32:51 AM
Wallethubism strikes again

Are NerdWallet and WalletHub the same thing?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

I'd ask Wallethubism's greatest champion, but he seems to believe he is now Patreon worthy (yes, Carhorn set up an account).

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on January 03, 2024, 01:37:52 PM
Quote from: Rothman on January 02, 2024, 02:07:28 PM

Quote from: 1 on January 02, 2024, 10:32:51 AM
Wallethubism strikes again

Are NerdWallet and WalletHub the same thing?

The survey is from WalletHub, as the text in the article says. I don't believe NerdWallet and WalletHub are the same thing, but NerdWallet is using WalletHub's data as explicitly said in the article. (You don't need to click "full article here"; the quoted portion is enough.)
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

ZLoth

Quote from: 1 on January 03, 2024, 02:24:13 PMThe survey is from WalletHub, as the text in the article says. I don't believe NerdWallet and WalletHub are the same thing, but NerdWallet is using WalletHub's data as explicitly said in the article. (You don't need to click "full article here"; the quoted portion is enough.)

Lets see here... I cited my source, quotes enough from the original article to give contest, and linked to the article if you want to read it further or review the data. My criteria tends to be "does it seem interesting enough to share", and there are enough perspectives on this forum to look and interpret the data and provide their interpretation and viewpoint.

hotdogPi

Quote from: ZLoth on January 04, 2024, 01:48:35 AM
Quote from: 1 on January 03, 2024, 02:24:13 PMThe survey is from WalletHub, as the text in the article says. I don't believe NerdWallet and WalletHub are the same thing, but NerdWallet is using WalletHub's data as explicitly said in the article. (You don't need to click "full article here"; the quoted portion is enough.)

Lets see here... I cited my source, quotes enough from the original article to give contest, and linked to the article if you want to read it further or review the data. My criteria tends to be "does it seem interesting enough to share", and there are enough perspectives on this forum to look and interpret the data and provide their interpretation and viewpoint.

It's not actually a problem. It's more of a forum meme. (I'm saying this since I don't think you were involved with the Crash_It debates, so you might not know.)
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50

Rothman

Sure, and the interpretation is that it's just yet another obviously flawed poll/study/ranked list that involves Wallethub.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ZLoth

Quote from: 1 on January 04, 2024, 06:31:50 AM

It's not actually a problem. It's more of a forum meme. (I'm saying this since I don't think you were involved with the Crash_It debates, so you might not know.)

When did these occur, and on which sections?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ZLoth on January 04, 2024, 07:52:16 AM
Quote from: 1 on January 04, 2024, 06:31:50 AM

When did these occur, and on which sections?

You'll get the gist if you dig up the locked "Wallethub" thread.  Crash_It (AKA Cra_shIt, Lord Carhorn or Barf) is one of the one of the most despicable and villainous people to ever be on a road forum/group.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.