News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

People really did cuss in the olden days

Started by bandit957, December 28, 2018, 12:40:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beltway

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 29, 2018, 09:58:53 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on December 29, 2018, 09:41:15 PM
I remember once when I was about 10 years old, I drew a picture of Ed McMahon yelling, "SHUT THE CRAP UP!", and I remember hiding it from my mom.
Also, at school they gave us a coloring book about the metric system, and one part said to draw a picture of the President giving a speech about it. So I drew a guy at a podium saying, "This whole damn country should use the metric system!" I remember hiding that from my mom too.
But crap isn't really a swear word.

It is a "swear word lite", substituting for another swear word.  Like darn, heck, geez, frick, gosh, crikey, dad gum, tarnation, sam hill, good grief, to name a few.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Beltway on December 29, 2018, 11:28:11 PM
I remember once when I was about 10 years old, I drew a picture of Ed McMahon yelling, "SHUT THE CRAP UP!", and I remember hiding it from my mom.
Also, at school they gave us a coloring book about the metric system, and one part said to draw a picture of the President giving a speech about it. So I drew a guy at a podium saying, "This whole damn country should use the metric system!" I remember hiding that from my mom too.

It is a "swear word lite", substituting for another swear word.  Like darn, heck, geez, frick, gosh, crikey, dad gum, tarnation, sam hill, good grief, to name a few.
Good Grief doesn't fit with the others.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Beltway

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 29, 2018, 11:30:29 PM
Quote from: Beltway on December 29, 2018, 11:28:11 PM
Good Grief doesn't fit with the others.

Think!
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

TheHighwayMan3561

I was given pretty harsh responses the first time my dad heard me say "this sucks"  and "crap" . He was also a guy who could drop a few F-bombs now and then, so it probably was a "don't be like me"  response.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Brandon

Define swear word.  Some of what we call "swear" words are just the Anglo-Saxon terms instead of the Norman French terms.
Fuck - Fornicate
Shit - Defecate

Same reason we have Pig/Pork and Cow/Beef.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

abefroman329

Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 29, 2018, 11:19:28 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on December 28, 2018, 08:03:56 PM
In theaters, they were less followed - my mom bought tickets for the neighbor kid and me to see Demolition Man in the theater (I was 14, he was 12 or 13). Things got so tight post-Columbine that I couldn't buy a ticket for my brother and me to see BASEketball (I was 19 and he was 15). We both had to sneak in.

Baseketball came out in 1998, the year before Columbine.
But you're not wrong about movie theaters post-Columbine.  The South Park movie dropped a couple months afterward and the pearl-clutchers out there made it harder for youths to get in to see it. In fact, South Park ended up making a shit-ton of money for that crappy Will Smith movie "Wild Wild West" because teens would buy tickets to that PG13 shitpile and then sneak into South Park.

Which, if I may; what exactly was the logic there?  "Duh, I heard some swears so now I'm gonna shoot everyone..."?
Ironically the central plot in the South Park movie is an ad-absurdum about censorship going too far to the point of literally fighting a war because of a movie.
Ah, maybe it was the South Park movie I was thinking of.

english si

Quote from: Brandon on December 30, 2018, 08:33:24 AMSome of what we call "swear" words are just the Anglo-Saxon terms instead of the Norman French terms.
Billy the bastard was a right cucking funt and here's yet another horror of the tyrannous Norman Yoke he put England under that we're still trying to overthrow...

The funny thing is is that sometimes these Anglo-Saxon words are paired with an apology of "pardon my French".

GaryV

Quote from: Brandon on December 30, 2018, 08:33:24 AM

Define swear word.  Some of what we call "swear" words are just the Anglo-Saxon terms instead of the Norman French terms.
Fuck - Fornicate
Shit - Defecate

But there is also merde ...

ce929wax

I can cuss like a sailor and wasn't always careful about it when I was younger, but now I try to gauge my audience. 

When I was a kid, my little buddies and I cussed like sailors, but we would get yelled at if we did it around adults.

kphoger

Quote from: ce929wax on December 30, 2018, 02:21:31 PM
When I was a kid, my little buddies and I cussed like sailors, but we would get yelled at if we did it around adults.

I remember having a man come out of his house with a baseball bat at me, when my friend and I were riding our bikes and shouting profanely down the street to each other and we woke his wife up from a nap with it.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on December 30, 2018, 03:05:23 PM
Quote from: ce929wax on December 30, 2018, 02:21:31 PM

I remember having a man come out of his house with a baseball bat at me, when my friend and I were riding our bikes and shouting profanely down the street to each other and we woke his wife up from a nap with it.
One time me and some other kids were flipping people off from the back of the school bus, and one guy followed the bus till we got off and threatened to kick our asses.

How bad of a day do you have to be having that you'd threaten to kick an eleven-year-old's ass?

bandit957

We used to go "sh...it...shit!" to the tune of the segment on 'The Electric Company' with the faces that spit words at each other. (Anyone else remember what I'm talking about here?)
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

bandit957

Quote from: bandit957 on December 30, 2018, 04:44:57 PM
We used to go "sh...it...shit!" to the tune of the segment on 'The Electric Company' with the faces that spit words at each other. (Anyone else remember what I'm talking about here?)

This is what I mean...

We used to go "sh...it...shit!" and "d...amn...damn!"
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

hbelkins

Wasn't "Baseketball" the one that had Dale Earnhardt doing a cameo as a taxi driver with the number "3" on the side?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

abefroman329

Quote from: hbelkins on December 30, 2018, 07:06:01 PM
Wasn't "Baseketball" the one that had Dale Earnhardt doing a cameo as a taxi driver with the number "3" on the side?
Yes, it was.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: bandit957 on December 30, 2018, 04:49:22 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on December 30, 2018, 04:44:57 PM

This is what I mean...

We used to go "sh...it...shit!" and "d...amn...damn!"
I often say the "sh" part but don't finish the whole thing.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SCtoKC

I remember being shocked that my dad knew all Seven Words from the George Carlin routine (I was around 15 when he repeated them in front of me).  My parents rarely cursed in front of me as a child, and when they did it was pretty mild stuff like "damn," "hell," or the occasional "shit" (which we always called my grandma's favorite word).  Of course, I was saying most of the Seven Words among my friends by this time, but it was still weird for me hearing an adult say it.

ce929wax

I did call my principal an asshole when I was in fifth grade (he was one).  He yanked me off the desk when I hummed the final jeopardy music when he said I had 30 seconds to get off the desk.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.