Business Marquees which feature highway shields

Started by Max Rockatansky, April 29, 2022, 12:12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Let's see....
Along US 50 between Cincy & Chillicothe (SW Ohio)

Along US 20 in Wakeman (40 miles west of Cleveland)

Along Oh 18 between Tiffin & Fostoria (NW Ohio)

I know the OP only wanted highway shields in the business marquee, but I found a building in Lorain, Ohio that used US shields engraved into the front of the building for the year of completion.

Intersection of US 36 & Oh 235 between Urbana & Piqua (Western Ohio)

Along PA 61, on the northside of Reading.

US 40, east of Washington, Pa

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

ErmineNotyours

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

California State Route 198 Food & Beverage on Cattleman Road (old US Route 101) in San Lucas:

Untitled by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Hunty2022

Rummage 33 in Ruckersville, VA has a colorful US 33 shield:

Look next to the building.

US 29 shield with interstate colors near its junction with I-66:

100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Max Rockatansky

The Highway 178 Bar & Grill in Lake Isabella certainly had a highway themed aesthetic. 

https://flic.kr/p/2pJZhqt

They also had a couple actual shields at the bar. 

https://flic.kr/p/2pJZiTP

WillWeaverRVA

58 Restaurant in Ringgold, VA (closed in 2016)...but with the wrong shield:

There's also the Route 58 Deli in Virginia Beach, which is also permanently closed and also has incorrect shields, but it's Virginia Beach so no one has any idea what the correct shield should be anyway.

Eat 33 in Richmond, VA.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Mapmikey

bing101

Green Island Oriental Vegetables have boxes showing their location near Long Beach.  Note this photo is shot at a supermarket in Vallejo, CA but their supplier is in the Long Beach area.

bing101

Quote from: Hunty2022 on September 11, 2023, 09:53:46 PMRummage 33 in Ruckersville, VA has a colorful US 33 shield:

US 29 shield with interstate colors near its junction with I-66:

That US-29 Shield looks like a Korean Expressways Route.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Mapmikey on April 19, 2024, 01:53:10 PMWhat's the point of perfect vision if what you're looking at is wrong?

They should've opened this up somewhere on US 1.
Will Weaver

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Mapmikey on April 19, 2024, 01:53:10 PMWhat's the point of perfect vision if what you're looking at is wrong?

Maybe the owner is one of us "fractional" guys from West Virginia?

Road Hog

Used to drive past this one almost every day for about six years.

mgk920

Quote from: bing101 on April 19, 2024, 08:18:52 PM

Green Island Oriental Vegetables have boxes showing their location near Long Beach.  Note this photo is shot at a supermarket in Vallejo, CA but their supplier is in the Long Beach area.

Hmmm, could a federal trademark infringement case be in the offing here?

<\Mike

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: mgk920 on April 20, 2024, 11:01:21 AM

<\Mike

The interstate shield is in the public domain, so no.
Will Weaver

mgk920

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on April 20, 2024, 03:47:45 PM

<\Mike

AASHTO holds a federal trademark on it.

Mike

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: mgk920 on April 20, 2024, 03:50:09 PM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on April 20, 2024, 03:47:45 PM

<\Mike

Mike

Have they ever once tried to enforce it?  I'd speculate they haven't given how much the Interstate shield appears on businesses and products.

LilianaUwU

Le P'tit Pub de la 30, with a US 30 shield for A-30:

Le P'tit Pub de la 30 by Liliana Vess, on Flickr
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Scott5114

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 20, 2024, 04:07:09 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on April 20, 2024, 03:50:09 PM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on April 20, 2024, 03:47:45 PMThe interstate shield is in the public domain, so no.

Mike

Have they ever once tried to enforce it?  I'd speculate they haven't given how much the Interstate shield appears on businesses and products.

I seem to recall reading the reason AASHTO took out a trademark was they were fearing someone would put up fake Interstate shields to deceive people into taking a route that wasn't an Interstate...for some reason. They wanted to have some sort of legal avenue to stop that from happening. Obviously, that seems to have never come to pass, so AASHTO has never actually enforced the trademark.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

mgk920

I'm thinking that they only enforce it as a way of preventing state and local highway guys from prematurely posting roads as interstates.

Mike

Max Rockatansky

What would be the point of that?  There are several segments of 710 in California signed as Interstate that aren't part of the system.  Is anyone traveling on Terminal Island or north of I-10 hurt by presence of Interstate shields on those segments?

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 21, 2024, 11:35:18 AMWhat would be the point of that?  There are several segments of 710 in California signed as Interstate that aren't part of the system.  Is anyone traveling on Terminal Island or north of I-10 hurt by presence of Interstate shields on those segments?

Yes.  Me.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cockroachking

9W Truck & Auto in Lloyd, NY

I swear I remember something along US-9W with an interstate shield, but maybe I'm hallucinating.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.