News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Arizona Loop 303

Started by swbrotha100, March 13, 2013, 09:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swbrotha100

I was checking out construction the other day on Loop 303 and the I-10/Loop 303 interchange. It looks like ADOT is building the WB 10 to SB 303 and NB 303 to WB 10 ramps. I didn't think this was gonna happen anytime soon, especially since no flyovers have been built at the Northern Parkway or at I-17. I don't know if any of Loop 303 will be built south of I-10 anytime soon, or if the interchange will just end up looking like I-10/Loop 202/Pecos Rd in the Chandler area.

frozen

As a local here, yes, they ARE building Northern Parkway now along with its flyovers-- but right now its mostly inclined dirt ramps at the future intersection of the parkway and 303. Between Litchfield and Dysart they're actually redirecting eastbound drivers on Northern Ave to go left on Litchfield and right on the new parkway for a mile.

I also got a newsletter from Surprise, AZ saying that the section between Glendale Ave and US-60 is "75% complete" with an opening date of early Fall this year. So yeah, there's a lot going on with 303. It might even be finished in its entirety early spring 2014.

As for southbound 303, man, I imagine it as a 202/pecos thing as well.

swbrotha100

Yeah I checked out that section of Northern Parkway between Dysart Rd and Litchfield Rd. WB Northern Ave west of Dysart now defaults onto Northern Pkwy. The original Northern Ave east of Litchfield is a dead end street.  I don't know why an overpass wasn't built over Litchfield yet. It looks like when the rest of it opens, thru traffic will be using the future entrance and exit ramps there for awhile.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Surprise portion of Loop 303 was finished earlier than planned. There's some freeway lighting installed on the future SB side near the north end of the project. A few interchanges are going to have high mast lighting. The only section of 303 that has yet to see significant work is from just north of Camelback to just south of Northern.

AsphaltPlanet

A few photos of Arizona Loop 303 taken by me back in March:

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

swbrotha100

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on April 17, 2013, 09:10:11 AM
A few photos of Arizona Loop 303 taken by me back in March:

You got a lot of great pics. I saw the Loop 202 pics on your website. Pretty good.

Sonic99

Pictures don't work for me?
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

kphoger

Quote from: Sonic99 on April 24, 2013, 04:24:48 AM
Pictures don't work for me?

They showed for me yesterday, but not today.  When I try to go directly to the page, it returns a DNS error.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

AsphaltPlanet

The problem is solved.  I had inadvertently not set the domain name to auto-renew.  I saw a charge on my credit card for hosting renewal earlier this month and thought nothing more of website needs.  I renewed the domain name this morning, and everything is back online.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

OCGuy81

Great pictures, thank you for posting.  I've long been fan of PHX freeways.  They all seem so nicely designed. 

Stephane Dumas

I saw this news report from March 28, who show the I-10/303 interchange at halfway point. http://www.azfamily.com/traffic/Loop-303I-10-project-at-halfway-point-200471601.html

swbrotha100

According to the ADOT blog, the Surprise section (Peoria Ave to just south of US 60/Grand Ave) should be open as a full freeway by July.

http://adotblog.blogspot.com/2013/05/portion-of-loop-303-project-now-nearly.html

Henry

Quote from: OCGuy81 on April 25, 2013, 12:00:14 AM
Great pictures, thank you for posting.  I've long been fan of PHX freeways.  They all seem so nicely designed. 
I agree about that!

Quote from: swbrotha100 on May 18, 2013, 06:46:58 PM
According to the ADOT blog, the Surprise section (Peoria Ave to just south of US 60/Grand Ave) should be open as a full freeway by July.

http://adotblog.blogspot.com/2013/05/portion-of-loop-303-project-now-nearly.html
This would be yet another good drive in Phoenix.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

swbrotha100

To update, it looks like Loop 303 in Surprise will be open as a full freeway around July 15:

http://www.surpriseaz.gov/DocumentCenter/View/20379

frozen

303 from Peoria up to Grand has opened about 6 hours earlier than expected. Will take pictures later this week of the new road.

Stephane Dumas

swbrotha100

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on August 31, 2013, 01:53:54 PM
Some floods caused by storm had flooded a part of Loop-303
http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_west_valley/litchfield_park/adot-loop-303-reopens-after-flooding-from-storm

From the link and video I saw, it was Cotton Lane, west of the current Loop 303 alignment. The reporter was at the Cotton Lane/Indian School Road intersection.

Kniwt

What's the deal with the exit numbers on 303? At the southern end at I-10, they begin in the low 100s, unlike the other metro loops that all have an Exit 1 somewhere.

(KPHO photo, since I didn't take any of my own)

swbrotha100

Loop 303 is planned to extend south of I-10. Eventually, it would go as far south as I-8.

Ironically, when Loop 303 was mostly a two lane road, all the mileage was lower. Sometime a few years ago, ADOT added 100 to the original mileposts, to what is currently on the roadway.

Kniwt

Quote from: swbrotha100 on January 12, 2015, 02:01:14 PM
Loop 303 is planned to extend south of I-10. Eventually, it would go as far south as I-8.

Seems to be a bit pipe-dream-y, what with the upgraded AZ 85 so close by. But that's interesting to know.

Sonic99

Quote from: Kniwt on January 12, 2015, 10:15:47 PM
Quote from: swbrotha100 on January 12, 2015, 02:01:14 PM
Seems to be a bit pipe-dream-y, what with the upgraded AZ 85 so close by. But that's interesting to know.

If I had to guess, once south of the SR30, it could jog over to the 85 alignment for the rest of the trip to Gila Bend.

Please reply at the END of the quote. ~S
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

dfwmapper

The 2035 MAG plan has 303 built to SR 30 and ROW preserved to the future I-11 corridor, but nothing past that is even under consideration at this point.

mapman1071

AZ 85 Gila Bend - Butterfield Trail/Business I-8 to Buckeye I-10 Is part of the I-10 Bypass for Thru Trucks around Metro Phoenix also Butterfield Trail Business I-8, I-8 Butterfield Trail to Arizona City At I-10/Sunland Gin Road.

Loop 303 I- 8 to I-17 is for local traffic.

Sonic99

I just noticed on Google Maps that 85 from Broadway south to Hazen is configured with a wide median for a future freeway in the middle. Is that in anticipation of the SR30 or what? Never noticed that before.

swbrotha100

SR 85 has had that wide median for years. I don't think it had anything to do with SR 30.

dfwmapper

Anticipation of further growth in Buckeye and increased truck traffic on a major NAFTA corridor. Widening to this point has been as much for safety as capacity. AZ 85 was one of the worst highways in the state when it came to head-on collisions, up there with AZ 87 and US 93. Lots of impaired drivers heading home from long weekends in San Diego and Rocky Point. Better to spend the available money on getting the highway divided sooner rather than building some overpasses to improve traffic flow on a small portion.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.