Closest States Not Directly Connected by Any Route

Started by webny99, June 09, 2020, 09:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Inspired by the map of counties reachable by routes from Georgia, which illustrated that there are no direct routes between Georgia and Missouri. Vermont and Rhode Island were also mentioned in that thread.

Are those the best examples of two nearby states with no single routes connecting the two?
What other examples exist, and what is the closest state to yours that lacks a connection?

ilpt4u

Are adjacent states that do not have a shared water crossing automatically disqualified?

CoreySamson

For Texas it would either probably be Indiana or Utah.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

adwerkema

For Michigan, it's Pennsylvania (thanks to Lake Erie) and West Virginia (which is a bit more surprising).

EpicRoadways

Upon (very) brief inspection it looks like for Minnesota it's Kentucky to the south, West Virginia or Maryland to the east, and Oregon to the west.

Konza

When I populated the map for Kansas, you would think, it being "Midway USA", that there would be routes passing through it in all directions.  The reality was that the vast majority of those routes went due north-south, or straight east-west.

It isn't far from the northwest corner of Kansas to the southeast corner of Wyoming, but I do not believe the states share any routes.

Ditto with Kentucky and Tennessee, two states that border Kansas' eastern neighbor, Missouri.
Main Line Interstates clinched:  2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16, 17, 19, 20, 24, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 37, 39, 43, 44, 45, 55, 57, 59, 65, 68, 71, 72, 74 (IA-IL-IN-OH), 76 (OH-PA-NJ), 78, 80, 82, 86 (ID), 88 (IL)

Max Rockatansky

Appears to be South Dakota for California. 

gonealookin

Nevada:  New Mexico.  Laughlin NV to the point on the AZ/NM border on I-40 is about 342 miles.

webny99

Quote from: ilpt4u on June 09, 2020, 09:52:10 PM
Are adjacent states that do not have a shared water crossing automatically disqualified?

If their only shared border is on water, and they also don't have any land connections, either directly or through another state, they would probably qualify. I can't think of any examples of this though.

keithvh

For my current home state (Colorado), I counted 14 states without a direct connection:

There are no same route direct connections to any of the Pacific Northwest (ID, OR, WA).  I never realized that before doing this exercise, and it's slightly surprising, as the Pacific Northwest is not that far away.

No direct connections to Minnesota or Wisconsin, the only 2 midwest states in that category.

3 of the 6 New England states (ME, NH, VT).  US-6 provides a connection to the rest of New England.

The remaining 6 states are in the South (AR, FL, KY, NC, SC, TN).  The odd thing is those 6 states are non-contiguous.  US-84 just barely touches Colorado but that does provide a connection to the Deep South states of LA, MS, AL and GA.

Roadgeekteen

For Massachusetts, it's West Virginia unless I'm missing something.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

brad2971

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 09, 2020, 10:29:04 PM
Appears to be South Dakota for California. 

Even closer: There are no direct routes between South Dakota and Utah. Which is really interesting when one realizes that there are still Delta Connection flights between Rapid City and Salt Lake City.

CtrlAltDel

For Illinois, the closest state with no connecting routes appears to be Vermont, at about 700 miles as the crow flies.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

US 89

Looks like the closest unconnected state to Utah is Oklahoma, though South Dakota and Washington are close.

jmacswimmer

Unless I missed something, I think Maryland & Kentucky are unconnected, which would be notable since only West Virginia (and/or Virginia, depending on your route) lies in between.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

webny99

Quote from: US 89 on June 10, 2020, 01:07:59 AM
Looks like the closest unconnected state to Utah is Oklahoma, though South Dakota and Washington are close.

Oklahoma certainly passed the eyeball test, but I decided to double check.
Surprisingly, it's 333 miles corner to corner for Oklahoma, 311 miles corner to corner for Washington, and only 291 miles corner to corner for South Dakota.

Quote from: jmacswimmer on June 10, 2020, 09:50:07 AM
Unless I missed something, I think Maryland & Kentucky are unconnected

US 50 flirts with Kentucky for a while, but I believe you are correct.

frankenroad

Quote from: adwerkema on June 09, 2020, 10:07:45 PM
For Michigan, it's Pennsylvania (thanks to Lake Erie) and West Virginia (which is a bit more surprising).

US-33 used to connect MI and WV until it was truncated in northern Indiana
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

jp the roadgeek

For CT, MA, and RI, it's WV.  NY is MI, unless you consider US 2 to be one continuous route with a silent concurrency through Canada.  Then it would be KY.   
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 10, 2020, 10:39:22 AM
For CT, MA, and RI, it's WV.  NY is MI, unless you consider US 2 to be one continuous route with a silent concurrency through Canada.  Then it would be KY.
It's Vermont for RI.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ozarkman417

I'm going to guess Alabama for MO, and as mentioned earlier GA is probably a close 2nd.

debragga

Quote from: CoreySamson on June 09, 2020, 10:01:55 PM
For Texas it would either probably be Indiana or Utah.

When I-69 is completed, Texas will be connected to Indiana

hbelkins

I'm assuming for purposes of this exercise, we're considering Interstate routes, US routes, and continuously numbered state routes (MSRs). Are we also considering continuous ribbons of pavement (state routes) with different route numbers? (Which inspires a new thread I'll post shortly).

Kentucky's winner would appear to be Maryland. Closest we get is US 119 running through Morgantown, WV, about 20 miles west of the state line.

Kentucky and Missouri have the distinction of being the only adjacent states that do not have a physical crossing. Of course, US 60 and US 62 link the Bluegrass to the Show-Me via Illinois, and there is a ferry between Hickman, Ky., and Dorena, Mo., but there's no direct roadway.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

webny99

Quote from: hbelkins on June 10, 2020, 01:23:17 PM
Are we also considering continuous ribbons of pavement (state routes) with different route numbers?

Yes, although I don't think there are any states with a direct border that lack a crossing or connecting route, so it would have to be across three or more states. I can't think of very many, if any, cases where that would come into play.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on June 10, 2020, 01:38:16 PM

Quote from: hbelkins on June 10, 2020, 01:23:17 PM
Are we also considering continuous ribbons of pavement (state routes) with different route numbers?

Yes, although I don't think there are any states with a direct border that lack a crossing or connecting route, so it would have to be across three or more states. I can't think of very many, if any, cases where that would come into play.

But do any of those roads make a turn in the second state?  If so, then I'd say they're not a "continuous ribbon of pavement".
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheHighwayMan3561

For MN it reciprocates Colorado (it's about 480 miles from the SW corner to Colorado's NE corner). Originally I thought it was Kentucky, but I forgot US 52 connects them.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.