News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Is Venice Blvd (CA 187) signed anywhere?

Started by blawp, May 12, 2012, 09:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blawp

Always wanted to know why it wasn't at least on BGSs where it can't be so easily stolen.

OCGuy81

It's been a long time since I've driven on Venice.  I don't recall seeing any 187 signs.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

andy3175

CA 187 is unsigned. Venice Boulevard is signed. There is a remnant green "EAST" banner that might have at one time accompanied a CA 187 shield a while ago at the west end of the route, just east of California 1/Lincoln Boulevard. I wonder if the CA 187 sign shown in 1993's "Gin and Juice" Snoop Dogg Doggy video was real or just posted for fun given the double meaning of CA 187.

Andy
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: andy3175 on May 16, 2012, 09:22:59 PM
CA 187 is unsigned. Venice Boulevard is signed. There is a remnant green "EAST" banner that might have at one time accompanied a CA 187 shield a while ago at the west end of the route, just east of California 1/Lincoln Boulevard. I wonder if the CA 187 sign shown in 1993's "Gin and Juice" Snoop Dogg Doggy video was real or just posted for fun given the double meaning of CA 187.

Andy

I doubt it would have been tough to find a CA-187 shield back then.

there's a CA-11 shield in some old NWA video.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

AndyMax25

For as long as I can remember Venice Blvd has never been signed. I just saw the first 187 shield at Venice at Sawtelle. I know the community was trying for years to get the street repaved and always assumed the street belonged to City of Los Angeles.  After one of the community leaders finally figured out it belonged to Caltrans, she began picketing and asking D7 officials to repave. Maybe they decided to sign it after this episode, maybe not.

iPhone

andy3175

At least they wisely placed the sign on top of the traffic signal mast arm and pole so that there's less of a chance of theft, given the popularity of the 187 number.

I think there is a 187 marker shown in the 1993 Snoop Doggy Dogg Gin and Juice video, but I've never seen a 187 marker in the field until seeing this picture - thanks Andy!
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

KG909

~Fuccboi

KG909

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 16, 2012, 09:24:48 PM
Quote from: andy3175 on May 16, 2012, 09:22:59 PM

Andy

I doubt it would have been tough to find a CA-187 shield back then.

there's a CA-11 shield in some old NWA video.
Do you remember which video?
~Fuccboi

AndyMax25

Just saw this on the westbound Santa Monica Freeway.

iPhone

mrsman

I really don't understand why CA-187 should be signed.  CA has decomissioned other state routes over roads that are essentially city streets like CA-19 Lakewood/Rosemead and CA-72 Whittier Blvd.  The CA-187 section of Venice is a lot shorter than those roads.  It should be decomissioned and relinquished to Los Angeles.

emory

Quote from: mrsman on September 22, 2014, 10:49:47 PM
I really don't understand why CA-187 should be signed.  CA has decomissioned other state routes over roads that are essentially city streets like CA-19 Lakewood/Rosemead and CA-72 Whittier Blvd.  The CA-187 section of Venice is a lot shorter than those roads.  It should be decomissioned and relinquished to Los Angeles.

It doesn't appear to be up for grabs, although it does have one lengthy definition:

Quote487.  Route 187 is from Lincoln Boulevard to Route 10 via Venice
Boulevard; provided that, prior to the construction of any portion of
this highway, the City of Los Angeles shall furnish to the State of
California without charge all right-of-way necessary for that portion
and the City of Los Angeles and the County of Los Angeles shall
enter into a cooperative agreement with the department wherein the
city and the county agree to pay one-half the cost of plans and
construction.

487.1.  The title to that portion of the right-of-way acquired by
the City of Los Angeles, and furnished to the State of California,
for Route 187, but not needed for that route upon its construction,
is hereby relinquished to the city. However, before any
relinquishment occurs, the department shall concur that such portion
is not needed for state highway purposes, and the portion being
relinquished shall be precisely described and recorded with the
County Recorder of Los Angeles County.

TheStranger

Quote from: McConaughey on September 23, 2014, 02:48:41 AM

Los Angeles doesn't want to pay to maintain another road. I believe only the Highland Ave portion of 170 has been relinquished to Los Angeles out of all the state routes that run through it.

Haven't portions of PCH reverted to city maintenance?  And the west (north) end of Route 72 has steadily moved eastward away from East Los Angeles over the last couple of decades, too...
Chris Sampang

DTComposer

Quote from: TheStranger on September 23, 2014, 11:23:42 AM
Quote from: McConaughey on September 23, 2014, 02:48:41 AM

Los Angeles doesn't want to pay to maintain another road. I believe only the Highland Ave portion of 170 has been relinquished to Los Angeles out of all the state routes that run through it.

Haven't portions of PCH reverted to city maintenance?  And the west (north) end of Route 72 has steadily moved eastward away from East Los Angeles over the last couple of decades, too...

Yes, but in both cases the portions of the routes that have been relinquished are in other cities, not Los Angeles itself.

As to other routes in Los Angeles, CA-2 has been relinquished between I-405 and La Brea Avenue (which includes portions in the cities of Los Angeles, Beverly Hills and West Hollywood).

TheStranger

Quote from: DTComposer on September 23, 2014, 11:42:55 AM

Yes, but in both cases the portions of the routes that have been relinquished are in other cities, not Los Angeles itself.

Did Route 72 ever reach the City of Los Angeles on its west end, or was that always unincorporated East LA?

As to other routes in Los Angeles, CA-2 has been relinquished between I-405 and La Brea Avenue (which includes portions in the cities of Los Angeles, Beverly Hills and West Hollywood).

Does 2 even have any official segments west of La Brea anymore?  Surprised it still exists from La Brea to the Hollywood Freeway.
Chris Sampang

DTComposer

Quote from: TheStranger on September 23, 2014, 12:13:59 PM

Did Route 72 ever reach the City of Los Angeles on its west end, or was that always unincorporated East LA?

I believe the furthest it got was Downey Road (just west of current I-710) in unincorporated East L.A.; I think Downey Road was one of those short-lived routes that was used as detours/connections between freeway segments that were under construction.

Does 2 even have any official segments west of La Brea anymore?  Surprised it still exists from La Brea to the Hollywood Freeway.

I believe it's still official between the Santa Monica limits and I-405. The recently-replaced signs on I-405 still indicate Santa Monica Blvd. as CA-2.

agentsteel53

Quote from: KG909 on September 14, 2014, 03:52:08 PM

if that is a mockup, then it is a damn good one.  correct bolts and also the "property state of California" box.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

TheStranger

Quote from: DTComposer on September 23, 2014, 01:19:29 PM

I believe the furthest it got was Downey Road (just west of current I-710) in unincorporated East L.A.; I think Downey Road was one of those short-lived routes that was used as detours/connections between freeway segments that were under construction.

1963-1965 Route 245.  I wonder if that route even had postmiles on it (in comparison to say, former Route 163 and Route 159).

Quote from: DTComposer on September 23, 2014, 01:19:29 PM
I believe it's still official between the Santa Monica limits and I-405. The recently-replaced signs on I-405 still indicate Santa Monica Blvd. as CA-2.

Then again, Route 91 is signed (from newer overheads, etc.) off of I-405 as well and I'm not sure if any portion of 91 west of the Harbor Freeway remains as state-maintained road.
Chris Sampang

andy3175

California 187 runs partially along the city limits boundary between Los Angeles and Culver City (generally between I-405 and I-10). I have always suspected that this is why this portion of Venice Boulevard remains in the state highway system.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Culver+City,+CA&hl=en&ll=34.017096,-118.397942&spn=0.041618,0.084543&sll=32.824552,-117.108978&sspn=0.6751,1.352692&oq=culver+city&t=h&hnear=Culver+City,+Los+Angeles+County,+California&z=14

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Occidental Tourist

I drove to Malibu this weekend.  Two of the interchange sequence signs on the 10 west had SR 187 signs added to them for the Venice exit.  The sign assembly at the exit did not.

TheStranger

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on February 08, 2016, 01:34:13 PM
I drove to Malibu this weekend.  Two of the interchange sequence signs on the 10 west had SR 187 signs added to them for the Venice exit.  The sign assembly at the exit did not.

A Google Maps view of one of the interchange sequence signs:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.034371,-118.3503667,3a,15y,253.09h,94.5t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5YQi0Ki-Lr9QuMxYN0YiDg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en
Chris Sampang

andy3175

CA 187 is pretty well signed now at various intervals along Venice Blvd between CA 1 and I-10 ... here are some examples of typical signage, one just east of CA 1 (Lincoln Blvd) and the other just east of Sepulveda and I-405: https://goo.gl/maps/8ZUX4g7z8HQ2 and https://goo.gl/maps/Ehv6qPwH1KM2

It is not signed from I-405 or CA 1 near as I can tell, but it is signed as noted previously along some of I-10's signs for Venice Blvd.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

emory

CA 187 is up for decommissioning, so there won't be any need to add new signs.

Quote487.  (a) Route 187 is from Lincoln Boulevard to Route 10 via Venice Boulevard.

(b) Upon a determination by the commission that it is in the best interest of the state to do so, the commission may, upon terms and conditions approved by it, relinquish to the City of Los Angeles Route 187 within the city between the route's western terminus at Lincoln Boulevard (approximately postmile 3.5) and its eastern terminus at Cadillac Avenue near Route 10 (approximately postmile 8.9), if the department and the city enter into an agreement providing for that relinquishment. The following conditions shall apply upon relinquishment:

(1) The relinquishment shall become effective on the date following the county recorder's recordation of the relinquishment resolution containing the commission's approval of the terms and conditions of the relinquishment.

(2) On and after the effective date of the relinquishment, Route 187 shall cease to be a state highway.

(3) Route 187, as relinquished under this subdivision, shall be ineligible for future adoption under Section 81.

oscar

Quote from: emory on February 18, 2016, 04:35:17 AM
CA 187 is up for decommissioning, so there won't be any need to add new signs.

Any indication that the relinquishment is going to happen? In particular, was the 2015 law authorizing the relinquishment driven by L.A. County's desire to take over the route, or just Caltrans' desire to fob the route onto the county?

I've noticed other relinquishments authorized long ago, but never carried out.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.