News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcarte29

Quote from: Alex on April 02, 2013, 11:34:51 AM
Quote from: bob7374 on April 02, 2013, 10:53:54 AM
I have posted photos taken along the next section of I-140 to open later this year and videos of driving along the Wilmington Bypass and US 74/76 in Brunswick County on my NC Future Interstates I-140 page:
http://www.gribblenation.net/ncfutints/fut140.html Enjoy.

Nice coverage of the newest segment, I had no idea it was even under construction. I surmise that NC 87 will be moved to follow the new freeway segment when it opens and be the sole designation for it until I-140 is connected in 2015 or later. Is that the plan, or will it get signage displaying something like "TO US 17 south" and "TO US 74/76 west"?

Man Alex that's a great point, I never thought of NC 87 as a temp designation (some have speculated that US 17 will be moved again but that would be as stupid as what they did in New Bern a couple years back with their newest by-pass).

I personally think it will be designated "Future I-140" and/or have the "TO 74/76 and "TO US 17" as you also speculated.

The logical think would have been to build the middle segment (between US74/76 and US421) first but I think the "C" segment got GARVEE bonds or somethin to accelerate its construction. 2015 will be a big year for I-140, maybe at that point we will know of I-74 will be drawn closer to it
Interstates I've driven on (Complete and/or partial, no particular order)
------------------
40, 85, 95, 77, 277(NC), 485(NC), 440(NC), 540(NC), 795(NC), 140(NC), 73, 74, 840(NC), 26, 20, 75, 285(GA), 81, 64, 71, 275(OH), 465(IN), 65, 264(VA), 240(NC), 295(VA), 526(SC), 985(GA), 395(FL), 195(FL)

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Mapmikey

Nice coverage of the newest segment, I had no idea it was even under construction. I surmise that NC 87 will be moved to follow the new freeway segment when it opens and be the sole designation for it until I-140 is connected in 2015 or later. Is that the plan, or will it get signage displaying something like "TO US 17 south" and "TO US 74/76 west"?

There is precedent for the NC 87 option in the Wilmington area.  I learned just today that I-40 from Wallace southward was designated as NC 132 from Jan 1983 to Aug 1984.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Route%20Changes/1983_01_01.pdf

https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Route%20Changes/1984_08_01.pdf

I don't know if this was signed or not, though, and the 1984 official showed the freeway as not open yet...

Mapmikey

WashuOtaku

Quote from: Mapmikey on April 05, 2013, 08:25:05 PM

There is precedent for the NC 87 option in the Wilmington area.  I learned just today that I-40 from Wallace southward was designated as NC 132 from Jan 1983 to Aug 1984.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Route%20Changes/1983_01_01.pdf

https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Route%20Changes/1984_08_01.pdf

I don't know if this was signed or not, though, and the 1984 official showed the freeway as not open yet...

Mapmikey

NCDOT sometimes label new sections of freeway as NC Highways before becoming U.S. or Interstate highway sections.  Other examples include current NC 44 covering for future US 70, former NC 752 becoming I-74, and the currently unbannered NC 295 for future I-295.  With exception of the last example, they were bannered.

dfilpus

As a counterexample, the current Sanford Bypass has no number. It will become US 421 (and US 421 connector) once the bypass is completed to current US 421. The segment from NC 42 to US 1 has been open for years without a number and signed TO US 1/TO NC 42. When the last segment was opened to connect to US 421 East and NC 87 East, the signage was changed to indicate control cities ( Lillington eastbound ). IMO, the current bypass should carry NC 87 now, but the current plans are for NC 87 to go through Sanford and US 421 to take the Bypass once completed.

jcarte29

Does Anyone know of details for a signing contract for either or both of these:

Brunswick Co- future I-140 project
Forsyth Co- I-74 (co-signed with US 311) from Guilford Co line to I-40
Interstates I've driven on (Complete and/or partial, no particular order)
------------------
40, 85, 95, 77, 277(NC), 485(NC), 440(NC), 540(NC), 795(NC), 140(NC), 73, 74, 840(NC), 26, 20, 75, 285(GA), 81, 64, 71, 275(OH), 465(IN), 65, 264(VA), 240(NC), 295(VA), 526(SC), 985(GA), 395(FL), 195(FL)

Strider

I can vouch for the I-74 part. No signage changes. The only exception is: they added I-74 mile markers along the road, and there seems to be a widening project going on at Union Cross Rd interchange. Looks like they are making this a folded diamond instead...

Alps

Quote from: bob7374 on April 02, 2013, 10:53:54 AM
I have posted photos taken along the next section of I-140 to open later this year and videos of driving along the Wilmington Bypass and US 74/76 in Brunswick County on my NC Future Interstates I-140 page:
http://www.gribblenation.net/ncfutints/fut140.html Enjoy.
I drove right past there last October (editing photos now). Wish I knew about this, I'd have detoured down US 17 and 74/76!

Urban Prairie Schooner

Found this by chance - apparently some folks in Wilmington have coveted an I-20 extension for quite some time:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1454&dat=19630804&id=p0NjAAAAIBAJ&sjid=MXQNAAAAIBAJ&pg=3147,535385 (scroll up for picture)

Of course, this was before I-40 was planned to be extended, but interesting anyway.

cpzilliacus

TOLLROADSnews: North Carolina's lower house votes 113-0 to limit interstate tolls to added lanes - kills I-95 tolling?

Quote2013-05-20: The North Carolina House of Representatives voted 113 in favor, none opposed May 16 to a bill that limits tolls on interstates to added lanes. This would halt the state DOT's plans to finance $4.5 billion of rebuild of the 182 miles of I-95 from the Virginia to the South Carolina order by fully tolling the interstate. A NCDOT sponsored Cambridge Systematics economic impact study recently released showed stakeholder support for the full toll plan. It did propose, however, to 'mitigate' tolls for local people by 50% to address complaints about the local burden.

QuoteThose who followed the debate in the legislature in Raleigh last week said the amendment that passed unanimously "came from nowhere" and there was little discussion of its implications. I-95 is not mentioned in the bill, but much of the debate was in the context of arguments about the big interstate.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

ARMOURERERIC

Without reading the bill, the wording you mention still seems to allow 95 to be rebuilt as a 2-3-3-2 with tolls on the center lanes.

Strider

I-95 should have been widened a long time ago. Thanks to these unnecessary projects being built in NC (especially the eastern section of the state).

froggie

QuoteWithout reading the bill, the wording you mention still seems to allow 95 to be rebuilt as a 2-3-3-2 with tolls on the center lanes.

Given I-95's traffic volumes, 2-3-3-2 would be some serious overkill and would take a noticeable dent out of some of the towns it passes through (namely Wilson and Lumberton).

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on May 21, 2013, 06:40:59 AM
QuoteWithout reading the bill, the wording you mention still seems to allow 95 to be rebuilt as a 2-3-3-2 with tolls on the center lanes.

Given I-95's traffic volumes, 2-3-3-2 would be some serious overkill and would take a noticeable dent out of some of the towns it passes through (namely Wilson and Lumberton).

I agree.  And the nice people in North  Carolina should "be careful what they ask for, because they just might get it."  If there are 3-3 toll lanes in the middle with 2-2 "free" lanes on the  outside, I think it safe to assume that there will be much less in the way of access and egress to and from those tolled lanes, which means that some businesses in the corridor are likely to lose business - potentially a lot of business.

The impact on Lumberton (especially the retail that faces I-95 on frontage roads between Exits 20 and 22) could be significant (though I think  most of the stores are set back far enough that there would not be any need to tear anything down).  Not sure that the impact on Wilson would be as bad, given that they will have access via I-795/U.S. 264 and probably Alternate U.S. 264 regardless of what alternatives emerge.

I-95 across all of North Carolina needs the following:

At least three lanes each way (and probably four lanes each way between Fayetteville and I-40);
Reconstruction of the substandard "diamond" interchanges (the ones at Selma and Smithfield are (IMO) especially bad);
Perhaps removal of a few interchanges, or the addition of C-D lanes; and
Elimination of the (many) remaining low-overhead-clearance overpasses, especially north of Lumberton.

NCDOT has a pretty good discussion of these and related issues in the Purpose and Need for the project here (Adobe Acrobat .pdf, 4.31 MB).

Mdcastle

Driving NC 12 definitely is a unique experience. Is there some reason only the northern half of the proposed road to Cape Lookout got built. I could also see replacing the Oregon Inlet Bridge with a ferry if it were free. Ocracoke didn't seem to be doing too badly.

formulanone

I found this sign in Fayetteville, North Carolina last year...they look like Virginia's secondary route signs. But I've never seen four-digit routes posted anywhere else in the state, except for those funny little four-digit panels on stop signs.

Something new? Or a one-off?

CanesFan27

Quote from: formulanone on June 06, 2013, 09:44:07 PM
I found this sign in Fayetteville, North Carolina last year...they look like Virginia's secondary route signs. But I've never seen four-digit routes posted anywhere else in the state, except for those funny little four-digit panels on stop signs.

Something new? Or a one-off?

Typical install for 1000-1010 secondary routes (sometimes greater).

Steffora used to have samples of various secondary routes on his page.  I don't think Mike was able to transfer that to the newer ncroads site

formulanone

Ah, thanks. Turns out, it's part of the All-American Freeway, according to wiki.

Mapmikey

North Carolina has been posting their SR 10xx routes this way since about 1960.  They also used to put a number on the front of those signs that  may have denoted which county you were in, such as these photos from aashields:

www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=NC19481000

www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=NC19481606

However, The 1959 Official also shows one of these shields with a 5xxx route number with a 27 which would correspond to Currituck County.  My theory about this is that the secondary numbering scheme as we know it in North Carolina appeared in 1960 (the 1957 County Maps and earlier back to 1930 show NO secondary numbering at all), and the 1959 Official was giving an example of what a secondary posting was going to look like.  I bet somebody decided it would be too expensive to post those signs for ALL secondary routes and they ramped it down to just the major 10xx ones.

Mapmikey

agentsteel53

lovely block fonts on the shields even in the 1959 diagram.  I think they switched, in actual use, to round fonts by ~1952.

do you know when they changed from black background to white on the secondary signs?

I have several of the fully embossed black ones, if anyone wants one.  they're not too rare; I'd let them go for 25 each plus shipping.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Mapmikey

I wasn't aware of the existence of black SR signs until I saw the one on aashields, so I have no idea.

My earliest memories of NC travels are about 1974 and I do not recall anything other than white...

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 07, 2013, 01:54:40 PM
lovely block fonts on the shields even in the 1959 diagram.  I think they switched, in actual use, to round fonts by ~1952.

do you know when they changed from black background to white on the secondary signs?

I have several of the fully embossed black ones, if anyone wants one.  they're not too rare; I'd let them go for 25 each plus shipping.
I've never seen a black one.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: Steve on June 09, 2013, 03:41:48 PM
I've never seen a black one.

I've seen the black ones, but they are very uncommon.  Signs that incorporate secondary highway numbers are either typically on white or green (seen on freeways), though most are incorporated on green street signs.  Keep in mind, the numbers reset in every county and do not traverse through incorporated towns or cities that maintain their own roads.  They are used more for State and County record keeping as oppose to using road names, while most roads highlight the road name for drivers.

DSS5

Random NC question that I didn't think needed its own thread: does anyone know why they've closed two lanes of Rivers Street in Boone, NC. They've torn up the road so I'm assuming they're trying to reach some kind of pipe. But does anyone know what or how long it will take?

HazMatt

Quote from: DSS5 on June 10, 2013, 09:46:20 PM
Random NC question that I didn't think needed its own thread: does anyone know why they've closed two lanes of Rivers Street in Boone, NC. They've torn up the road so I'm assuming they're trying to reach some kind of pipe. But does anyone know what or how long it will take?

They're putting in a new steam tunnel, and the lanes will be closed til late July.

http://physicalplant.appstate.edu/news/rivers-street-lane-closure

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.