News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

This is what today's standard New York shield should look like:

An embossed cutout would be cooler, but fat chance that's going to happen.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

xonhulu

Quote from: Quillz on February 14, 2011, 08:14:18 PM
While I like the standard NYS route shield, the same cannot be said for the wide version, which I assume is being erroneously used in the second pic.

Since using any NY route shield for 62 is erroneous in the first place, can using any version be any more wrong than another?

What I liked about that area was they also has a couple US 104 shields a few of blocks away.  Balancing thing out, I guess.

Kacie Jane

This might just be me, but other than the old-style nonstandard font, I don't see a significant difference between the 157 shield and the 62 shield.

Ian

Quote from: Kacie Jane on February 14, 2011, 08:51:43 PM
This might just be me, but other than the old-style nonstandard font, I don't see a significant difference between the 157 shield and the 62 shield.

I can't explain it very well, but the shaping of the seal is a tad different. I guess to me, the 62 shield has a little more black space.
Youtube l Flickr

Central Avenue

A couple here: First, the exit 35A sign should also mention US 62 WEST, which is concurrent with I-670 at this point.

Secondly, exit 33 is for Easton Way, not Morse Rd--that's exit 32. I kinda understand why they've done this, as drivers coming onto the C/D lanes can't use exit 32, and there are signs on Easton Way guiding traffic to Morse Rd, but there are better ways to indicate this on the guide sign. Also, the letters are too small--you can't tell in the picture, but it appears this was patched over something else, presumably just "Easton".

Also, while it's not quite an error, the other southbound guide signs for exit 33 are inconsistent--the newer signs (installed 4 or 5 years ago when the I-270/OH-161 interchange was completed) say "Easton Way" while the original button copy signs just say "Easton".
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

agentsteel53

the 157 has wider black margins, and a more gradual ascent from the upper left and upper right corners to the top hump.

given that the original two-digit shield is the New York state seal, it makes sense for the three-digit wider version to approximate it as best as they can given that they have a wider blank to work with.  The 157 achieves that much more than the 62.

(then again, nowadays even the two-digit NY shields aren't the right shape anymore!)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Quillz

I still think the standard 2-digit one looks the best. Maybe it's because wide shields are usually the result of stretched proportions, but there are few, if any, wide shields that I think look better than the standard ones.

Ian

Excuse me for bumping an old post, but I found this I-422 sign at the Philadelphia Premium Outlet Mall in Limerick, PA yesterday:
Youtube l Flickr

MDOTFanFB

Quote from: PennDOTFan on March 06, 2011, 12:22:03 PM
Excuse me for bumping an old post, but I found this I-422 sign at the Philadelphia Premium Outlet Mall in Limerick, PA yesterday:

Okay, who extended I-22 into PA, since the sign mentions I-422?

The Premier

Quote from: PennDOTFan on March 06, 2011, 12:22:03 PM

They probably meant U.S. Highway 422. :pan:
Alex P. Dent

froggie

Can't really argue that it's even an "I-422" shield, since the colors are all off.

national highway 1

And I-422 is not even a highway yet!
(It is being planned around Birmingham, AL)
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

codyg1985

It appears that US 20 has been extended way south to Alabama.

Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

6a

Quote from: Central Avenue on February 14, 2011, 09:00:05 PM

Secondly, exit 33 is for Easton Way, not Morse Rd--that's exit 32. I kinda understand why they've done this, as drivers coming onto the C/D lanes can't use exit 32, and there are signs on Easton Way guiding traffic to Morse Rd, but there are better ways to indicate this on the guide sign. Also, the letters are too small--you can't tell in the picture, but it appears this was patched over something else, presumably just "Easton".

You're right as to why they did that.  Before Easton was built, there were only exits for 161 and Morse.  The problem really presents itself when you're northbound, as you see an 'Exit 30 & 33' sign, while Morse is exit 32 (you stay on the mainline for it.)  Everyone was getting confused when the new configuration was opened.

froggie

Couldn't get photos of these because of snow, but two signs I saw on my way back south yesterday fit under "erroneous road signs".

- One is on westbound MA 9 approaching I-91.  In a state long-known for bland square route shields, this one was a circle shield.

- The other was near the north end of the US 7 freeway in Norwalk, CT.  Making the turn from northbount Main Ave to Grist Mill Rd, there's a "TO US 15" trailblazer.

FLRoads

Quote from: codyg1985 on March 10, 2011, 08:08:43 AM
It appears that US 20 has been extended way south to Alabama.

There is actually another erroneous U.S. 20 shield at that intersection (heading northbound on U.S. 43)

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=87.950;num_replies=964

I probably posted this picture on the thread a long time ago but I'm not taking the time to look  :-P

DTComposer

So if you're driving on I-5 north in Orange County and you approach CA-55 you get:

You want to go to Anaheim, so you take CA-55 North. A little while later, you get:

You still want to go to Anaheim, so you take CA-91 East.

Only problem is, here's the route you're taking:

(markers represent Downtown Anaheim, Disneyland, Anaheim Stadium, Honda Center, Anaheim Convention Center....basically any reason any out-of-towner would go to Anaheim)

Why would a control city deliberately lead you away from the center of said city, or away from any destination of note? Ahh, Caltrans.

MDOTFanFB

Isn't a playground sign supposed to be a diamond shape?

This one is actually placed before the road becomes divided:

No "M" at the top:

U.S. 10 dosen't go anywhere near Detroit any more:

agentsteel53

I also note the rather small octagon on the "stop ahead" sign in the background of the playground sign with rather small see-saw.

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

Youtube l Flickr

mightyace

This is the first time, personally, I've seen this kind of mistake in Tennessee.  It is in the construction area for widening I-65 from exit 65 south.

Magically, we now have US 96 in Tennessee.  This is most likely a contractor error.

20110310I-65N @ Exit 65 bad 96 sign-C by mightyace, on Flickr

Sorry about the low quality folks, it was not a good day for photos.  I'll try and get a better one of the sign is still there.

Edit:
My memory was apparently faulty, see agentsteel53's post below.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

agentsteel53

US-255 has shown up as well.  Should be state secondary 255.

jake@aaroads.com

mightyace

^^^
Dang, I had forgotten about that one!
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Rupertus

I found a nice one today, at the stoplight at the end of the ramp from north I-275 to Michigan Avenue. There is a new Clearview guide sign at that location that for some reason has an M-12 shield on it instead of the correct US 12 shield. Not sure where that came from as there is no such road as M-12. Unfortunately the photo I took didn't come out very well...

Quillz

I guess California was jealous of Pennsylvania...

I'm pretty sure this was fixed several years back. And while it's an error shield, at least it's a nice looking one.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.