News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What's a jump bridge?

Started by ixnay, March 24, 2019, 07:53:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ixnay

I ask this because the weekend of Mar. 30/31 will be the first of several weekends when this will happen on MD 213, as reported by the Talbot Star-Democrat and its sister weeklies in Kent and Queen Anne's counties...

https://www.myeasternshoremd.com/kent_county_news/spotlight/route-bridge-in-centreville-to-close-for-weekend-of-march/article_8d83801a-d7a5-5a1e-b4b4-4f1d3c60230f.html

QuoteThe first weekend closure of state Route 213 at Gravel Run on the north end of Centreville is set for March 29, weather permitting.

The closure is necessary to assemble and place the temporary "jump bridge"  that will keep traffic moving while crews repair the bridge substructure and replace the bridge deck this spring, said Bob Rager, SHA community liaison. The March 29-April 1 closure is the first of four possible weekend closures needed at the Gravel Run location.

I've never heard of a "jump bridge", and couldn't find the term on Google, Wikipedia, or aaroads.com.  What is it?

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

rte66man

When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

triplemultiplex

Sounds like a local colloquialism for a temporary bridge.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Max Rockatansky

In Florida it was a common term for bridged people would dive from, especially if there was a dredge channel underneath.  Really the term applied to pretty much any type of bridge, the one I recall off the top of my head was the Sugarloaf Key Jump Bridge I'm old US 1. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.