News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Bad milk in the 1980s/1990s/2000s

Started by bandit957, March 07, 2019, 10:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Anyone remember the era of bad milk?

For a long time, starting around 1981, if you buyed milk at the grocery store, it would often be spoiled - even if it was well within the expiration date. It got progressively worse over the years. I stopped buying milk, because it got to the point where it was spoiled more often than not.

This problem reportedly stopped around 2009. So I started buying milk again, and it hasn't been a problem since.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Brandon

Um, no.  It must just be you, as our milk usually lasted a week after the expiry date.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Beltway

Quote from: bandit957 on March 07, 2019, 10:00:08 PM
Anyone remember the era of bad milk?
For a long time, starting around 1981, if you buyed milk at the grocery store, it would often be spoiled - even if it was well within the expiration date. It got progressively worse over the years. I stopped buying milk, because it got to the point where it was spoiled more often than not.
This problem reportedly stopped around 2009. So I started buying milk again, and it hasn't been a problem since.

How bad was it ... did it ever make you blow groceries?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

bandit957

Quote from: Beltway on March 07, 2019, 10:21:52 PM
How bad was it ... did it ever make you blow chunky?

I didn't throw up, but it tasted bad.

Toothpaste has a similar taste when it's a brand new tube.

DaBigE

I don't ever remember that being an issue. Something like that would have been all over the news around here.

The only milk issue I recall was the one over whether or not cows were treated with the rBGH hormone, and that hubbub only lasted a couple years in the 1990s.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

1995hoo

I've never "buyed"  anything. I've never bought bad milk, either.

The thing I find odd is that the organic milk, such as Horizon brand, which presumably isn't supposed to have preservatives or other such things, often has an expiration date several weeks later than the non-organic store brand. I wonder why that is. Before I got married, I often bought Horizon because of that–I didn't use the milk as quickly, so I wanted the one that lasted longer. I no longer do that because my wife likes to bake, so we go through the milk more quickly.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

abefroman329

Nope.

I've occasionally bought (not "buyed") milk that stayed good after its expiration date, and bought milk that expired before its expiration date.  I'm also the person who will rummage through the milk cooler looking for a gallon with the latest expiration date.

bandit957

What irritates me these days is that Kroger is often out of whole milk, but there's whole shelves full of skim milk staring us in the face. I have hypocobalaminemia, so I need whole milk. People actually buy the whole milk, not the skim milk. Yet Kroger will stock about 5 times as much skim milk, which just gathers dust.

US71

Quote from: bandit957 on March 08, 2019, 10:10:59 AM
What irritates me these days is that Kroger is often out of whole milk, but there's whole shelves full of skim milk staring us in the face. I have hypocobalaminemia, so I need whole milk. People actually buy the whole milk, not the skim milk. Yet Kroger will stock about 5 times as much skim milk, which just gathers dust.

I get my milk here at Aldi or Barum's.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

abefroman329

Quote from: bandit957 on March 08, 2019, 10:10:59 AM
That's weird; whenever I go to a grocery store or convenience store looking for 1% or, if absolutely necessary, 2%, all they have is whole milk.

bandit957

I don't think United Dairy Farmers (a regional convenience store chain) carries whole milk at all anymore. Which is ridiculous, because it's United Dairy Farmers, not United Water Farmers.

abefroman329

Quote from: bandit957 on March 08, 2019, 11:09:50 AM
I don't think United Dairy Farmers (a regional convenience store chain) carries whole milk at all anymore. Which is ridiculous, because it's United Dairy Farmers, not United Water Farmers.
Maybe they don't carry it any more because very few people drink whole milk.

bandit957

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 08, 2019, 11:29:51 AM

Everyone I know drinks whole milk.

hbelkins

Most popular version of milk around here is 2% milk.

Milkfat must be like octane in gasoline, at least around here. In many stores skim milk is usually cheaper than 2%, and 2% is cheaper than whole milk.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bandit957

Quote from: hbelkins on March 08, 2019, 11:38:13 AM
Most popular version of milk around here is 2% milk.

Milkfat must be like octane in gasoline, at least around here. In many stores skim milk is usually cheaper than 2%, and 2% is cheaper than whole milk.

That's because water is cheap.

Rothman

Quote from: bandit957 on March 08, 2019, 11:31:17 AM
Quote from: abefroman329 on March 08, 2019, 11:29:51 AM

Everyone I know drinks whole milk.
Not true around here.  Still, I think I read somewhere that there is some strange geographic patterns as to where people drink whole and where people drink skim.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bandit957

Quote from: Rothman on March 08, 2019, 11:39:50 AMNot true around here.  Still, I think I read somewhere that there is some strange geographic patterns as to where people drink whole and where people drink skim.

I read that suburbs mostly drink skim, while very urban and very rural areas mostly drink whole.

kphoger

Quote from: bandit957 on March 08, 2019, 11:41:47 AM
Quote from: Rothman on March 08, 2019, 11:39:50 AMNot true around here.  Still, I think I read somewhere that there is some strange geographic patterns as to where people drink whole and where people drink skim.

I read that suburbs mostly drink skim, while very urban and very rural areas mostly drink whole.

That sounds right to me.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Brandon

Obviously you don't visit many urban affluent areas.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Brandon on March 08, 2019, 05:48:18 PM
Obviously you don't visit many urban affluent areas.

I imagine those places probably drink garbage like almond "milk."

GaryV

Well here's another title to be struck from the "things you'll never see on AARoads" thread.

jeffandnicole

When I worked at a Wawa convenience store for a short bit, the manager told me that in a cold case, where you can fit 4 jugs of milk across in a row, and where the door opens from the right, people will most often pick the milk from the right-center spot (if you go left to right, 1, 2, 3, 4, they're taking number 3).  And they'll even reach back to grab the next one in the 3 slot, instead of taking the front one from 1, 2 and 4.

And when you actually try to watch it happen, the observation is hilariously correct.  It's just one of those mind-boggling things that humans do. 

Now, for you perfectionists, no, not everyone does it.  But if you had the chance to observe that for a while...or even thing what you do in a store, it's a pattern that happens a higher percentage of time!

(Me, I look for the one with the furthest expiration date!)

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on March 08, 2019, 01:38:49 PM
That sounds right to me.

I would say urban drinks "healthy" non-milks like soy and almond, suburbs drink skim or 1%, rural drinks 2%.

I honestly don't know anyone who drinks whole milk besides babies/young kids. We live in the suburbs, and we usually have both skim and 2% in the house. Skim seems to be the biggest seller at the grocery stores in our area.

webny99

On a semi-related note, I can't drink just a plain glass of milk. I used to, as a young kid, but I haven't in probably close to ten years.

Milk is great with cereal, or in a recipe, but the thought of drinking it plain makes me feel a bit queasy.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.