News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Chicago railroad question

Started by 02 Park Ave, September 18, 2014, 12:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

02 Park Ave

Does anyone know when VIA stopped running from Chicago to Toronto?  Was it a joint operation with AMTRAK?
C-o-H

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Duke87

So if I follow correctly, there used to be one train that ran all the way.

Now, instead, Amtrak and VIA rail each still operate the entirety of their respective portions of the route, but terminating at the last stop before the border rather than crossing it.

That's... rather silly.

I do have to wonder if the issue more than declining ridership was that post-9/11 they would have wanted to make the customs operations more robust in order to keep the route, and it was deemed not worth the expense and effort.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

mgk920

Yea, the USA's Customs guys have not been friendly towards rail travelers, especially since 2001.

:no:

Mike

Brandon

Quote from: mgk920 on September 19, 2014, 01:18:59 AM
Yea, the USA's Customs guys have not been friendly towards rail all travelers, especially since 2001.

Mike

FIFY.  It's high time we had a Schengen-type agreement with Canada.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: Brandon on September 19, 2014, 07:32:47 AM
Yea, the USA's Customs guys have not been friendly towards rail all travelers, especially since 2001.

Mike

FIFY.  It's high time we had a Schengen-type agreement with Canada.
Agreed. I've taken Amtrak between Montreal and New York (The Adirondack) a few times, and the experience crossing the border was pretty much the same as in my car.

It looks like it was run in much the same way as the Maple Leaf is run: Amtrak staff departing Chicago and leaving the train in either Port Huron or Sarnia, then performing a crew change with VIA during the customs inspection. The train is then run as a VIA until Toronto.

Contrast with the Adirondack, which is 100% Amtrak.

AsphaltPlanet

When I went to school in London, ON, you could still take the Amtrak superliner on one of the routes easterly towards Toronto.  VIA trains ran along the southern route between the two cities via Brantford, while Amtrak ran along the northern route through Kitchener.  It's a shame that train service was discontinued between the two cities.  The Superliner's were nice trains.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Duke87

Trains crossing the border without a staff change poses an interesting question: what if customs deems the motorman unfit for entry? Or are all the staff pre-cleared?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

sdmichael

Yea, the USA's Customs guys have not been friendly towards rail travelers, especially since 2001.

Mike

I would have to agree. When I took the train from Vancouver, BC back to the US, they were rather rude. I felt more like I was guilty before being proven innocent. They seemed to be giving me a hard time for no particular reason other than it made them feel more important and powerful. Going to Canada, very friendly.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: sdmichael on September 26, 2014, 02:29:41 AM

Mike

I would have to agree. When I took the train from Vancouver, BC back to the US, they were rather rude. I felt more like I was guilty before being proven innocent. They seemed to be giving me a hard time for no particular reason other than it made them feel more important and powerful. Going to Canada, very friendly.

To be fair, I've never taken the train to or from Canada, but this matches my experience crossing at Blaine by road as well.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.