News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The New Mercedes EQS is a big frickin deal

Started by kernals12, April 01, 2021, 08:33:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kernals12

On April 15, Mercedes will be unveiling a new car meant to do battle with the Tesla Model S. It's called the EQS, and just like its gasoline powered sister, the S Class, it will be very innovative. They say it will have a maximum range of 478 miles (on the optimistic European cycle, probably about 400 miles on the more realistic EPA cycle). That makes it probably the first electric car that has a cruising range comparable to gasoline. One thing that helps is the very aerodynamic shape with a drag coefficient of just .2, the lowest for any production car. That will also help wind noise, a bonus for both passengers and the people who live near freeways.

I am sure that, just like the S class, the EQS will be a very popular choice for titans of industry and heads of state. It will help further mainstream the electric car. It's a sign that the age of internal combustion is rapidly coming to a close, just like the age of steam before it.

hotdogPi

I thought this was real at first. Nice work.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Max Rockatansky

Problem is that this is Mercedes, a high end luxury brand.  That 400 mile range won't be a big deal until it is a regular thing in EVs that are in more of an entry level price range. 

SectorZ

Quote from: 1 on April 01, 2021, 08:36:16 AM

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35957077/2022-mercedes-benz-eqs-interior-revealed/

This is from five days ago, so it's no 4/1 joke. Honestly looks like an amazing vehicle.

kernals12

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 01, 2021, 09:57:14 AM
Problem is that this is Mercedes, a high end luxury brand.  That 400 mile range won't be a big deal until it is a regular thing in EVs that are in more of an entry level price range.

The technology demonstrated in high end luxury sedans tends to trickle down.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SectorZ on April 01, 2021, 10:14:52 AM

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35957077/2022-mercedes-benz-eqs-interior-revealed/

This is from five days ago, so it's no 4/1 joke. Honestly looks like an amazing vehicle.

There is even a Wikipedia page to go along with it.  I searched around for an MSRP but with no luck.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kernals12 on April 01, 2021, 10:19:37 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 01, 2021, 09:57:14 AM

The technology demonstrated in high end luxury sedans tends to trickle down.

Okay, but it isn't anything exciting when the car is probably 100k plus.  I would hope my car had all that high technology it I was paying that much.  It isn't a game changer to until that range is available for someone looking to replace their Toyota Corolla.

kernals12

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 01, 2021, 10:20:27 AM
Quote from: SectorZ on April 01, 2021, 10:14:52 AM

There is even a Wikipedia page to go along with it.  I searched around for an MSRP but with no luck.

It will definitely be 6 digits.

GaryV

^

Given that the S Class starts at 109k, this EV will definitely be over that.

kernals12

Quote from: GaryV on April 01, 2021, 10:25:50 AM
^

The Mercedes website says $94,000

GaryV

Quote from: kernals12 on April 01, 2021, 10:29:25 AM
Quote from: GaryV on April 01, 2021, 10:25:50 AM
^

The Mercedes website says $94,000

Car and Driver now says $110,850.  Whatever.  The EV will definitely be over $100k.

kernals12

Even oil barons and Arab princes won't be able to resist the silence of an electric S class.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kernals12 on April 01, 2021, 10:39:41 AM
Even oil barons and Arab princes won't be able to resist the silence of an electric S class.

Oil barons?  What is this 1911?

kernals12

GM will be selling an electric Chevy Silverado with 400 miles of range by 2023 or 2024

www.caranddriver.com/news/amp36038778/chevy-silverado-electric-pickup-confirmed/

Mind you, it probably won't be much cheaper than this Mercedes

SP Cook

The high price of battery powered cars in only half of the really sad economic reality.  When someone buys a traditionally powered car, he expects there to be residual value.  Everyone is different, from people who trade every couple of years to people that keep cars for decades, but the most basic expectation is of residual value.  He pays $X and gets some %age of that back as a trade.  Thus the next car will actually not cost full price, but rather only the "difference" between that and the trade-in's residual value.

However, the reality of batteries is quite different.  While a well built and well maintained traditional car can be expected to last decades, the battery, representing the bulk of the overall value, will only last a few years. 

Thus, these products are only for those so rich that they can buy a new car "from scratch" every time.  No real application to common folk.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SP Cook on April 06, 2021, 03:13:02 PM
The high price of battery powered cars in only half of the really sad economic reality.  When someone buys a traditionally powered car, he expects there to be residual value.  Everyone is different, from people who trade every couple of years to people that keep cars for decades, but the most basic expectation is of residual value.  He pays $X and gets some %age of that back as a trade.  Thus the next car will actually not cost full price, but rather only the "difference" between that and the trade-in's residual value.

However, the reality of batteries is quite different.  While a well built and well maintained traditional car can be expected to last decades, the battery, representing the bulk of the overall value, will only last a few years. 

Thus, these products are only for those so rich that they can buy a new car "from scratch" every time.  No real application to common folk.

The fact that the battery motor needs to be replaced after a certain amount of time/or miles certainly has been cost prohibitive thus far.  I don't have a lot of data on how much the price has declined for replacement batteries but it has been considerable.  This is even an issue on hybrid cars like the Prius to a degree.

Something that intrigues me is the thought about how/if current electric vehicles will be future collector cars?  I just don't see the amount of OEM and after market parts being available to make that kind of thing realistic like it has been for cars with combustion engines.

1995hoo

Road & Track posted an article about the EQS.

If it can in fact go over 400 miles on a charge, as discussed in the article, that would be a very big deal. The thing that gives me pause about EVs so far is precisely their shorter range compared to gas- or diesel-powered vehicles and the nuisance that poses on longer trips. Put differently, most EVs so far are fantastic cars for commuting and local driving, but if I'm going to spend the kind of money the automakers are asking for EVs, I want it to be my primary car that I can use for everything, including longer trips. The idea of having to stop for 45 minutes to an hour every three or four hours (210 to 280 miles) to charge the battery is a non-starter for me. Right now, depending on which car I'm driving, I can go 450 to 550 miles on a tank of gas, then make a combined gas and lunch stop, then get back on the road. While my current gas and lunch stop will usually be less than 45 minutes to an hour, extending it to that amount of time wouldn't be a big problem provided the charging station is in a good location.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kernals12

I'm not really impressed with the styling. It looks too much like a Hyundai Sonata.

1995hoo

Quote from: kernals12 on April 16, 2021, 01:49:12 PM
I'm not really impressed with the styling. It looks too much like a Hyundai Sonata.

I found myself wondering about the practicality of the entire dashboard being a screen. That seems like a way to use more battery power than is really needed. Nice visual, no doubt, but likely unnecessary on the whole.

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 16, 2021, 11:35:55 AM
Road & Track posted an article about the EQS.

Quote from: kernals12 on April 16, 2021, 01:49:12 PM

One comment seems to agree with you about that.

Quote from: ton9583
Take away the 3 point star, it can be any car. Nothing said MB about the design.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

nexus73

EV's do not have the range needed for Western US driving.  Cities can be 400 or more miles apart over here.

The needed spec: 1500 miles plus 10 minute recharge at a minimum with a price point of $20K to $25K.  Wake me up when this is achieved.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

kernals12

Quote from: nexus73 on April 17, 2021, 09:42:15 AM
EV's do not have the range needed for Western US driving.  Cities can be 400 or more miles apart over here.

The needed spec: 1500 miles plus 10 minute recharge at a minimum with a price point of $20K to $25K.  Wake me up when this is achieved.

Rick

Wait what? Gasoline cars don't nearly do 1500 miles on a tank.

SP Cook

Quote from: kernals12 on April 17, 2021, 12:11:12 PM

No, but they can be refilled (recharged) in about 10 minutes literally anywhere in the world from a standard device that exists well within the range of the vehicles, many dozens of times over.  Electric cars, not so much.  LOOOOOOOOOOOONG charging times, a extremely limited number of charging devices, and these are not even to a industry standard, meaning an even more extremely limited number that fit a particular brand of car. 

Rothman

Quote from: SP Cook on April 17, 2021, 12:48:44 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on April 17, 2021, 12:11:12 PM

No, but they can be refilled (recharged) in about 10 minutes literally anywhere in the world from a standard device that exists well within the range of the vehicles, many dozens of times over.  Electric cars, not so much.  LOOOOOOOOOOOONG charging times, a extremely limited number of charging devices, and these are not even to a industry standard, meaning an even more extremely limited number that fit a particular brand of car.
It still seems the idea of 1500 miles per charge AND a ten minute charge is a bit extreme.  It would be awesome, but not a minimum requirement for me to buy a car.

I'd be happy with 300 miles per charge with charges taking as long as a fillup (a few minutes).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

Per Car and Driver, the Hyperscreen is an option and if you skip that, you get a more conventional center screen about the size of an iPad Pro (the largest iPad).

Regarding the exterior styling, one thing to consider with any EV is coefficient of drag being a major consideration.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.