Philadelphia National Weather Service listing highway mileposts in advisories

Started by bzakharin, September 04, 2019, 07:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bzakharin

So this is interesting. Over the last few weeks I've noticed that the Philadelphia / Mount Holly National Weather Service office is now listing highway mileposts (exit numbers for NJ Turnpike) in their advisories in addition to the list of cities that has always been there. Here's an example from today:
At 712 PM EDT, a strong thunderstorm was located near Wrightstown, or
16 miles southeast of Trenton, moving east at 25 mph.

Wind gusts up to 50 mph are possible with this storm.

Locations impacted include...
Toms River, Lakewood, Jackson, Beachwood, Lakehurst, Wrightstown,
Leisure Village, Holiday City South, Pleasant Plains, Cedar Glen
West, Leisure Village East, Woodruff, Holiday City-Berkeley, Cedar
Glen Lakes, Whiting, Pine Ridge At Crestwood, Leisure Village
West-Pine Lake Park, Bamber Lake, Browns Mills and South Toms River.

This includes Garden State Parkway between mile markers 76 and 91.
Personally I like it. Even as a local I only know 6 of those 20 locations, while the mile markers 76 to 91 present a clear well-defined area. I hope other local offices take up the practice as well.

froggie

Several NWS offices do this, not just in the Northeast but in the Midwest as well.

PAHighways

NWS Pittsburgh and NWS State College also provide mile markers in warnings.

SM-G965U

SteveG1988

I guess the weather service is more efficent than the postal service in this day and age.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

machias

Quote from: froggie on September 04, 2019, 07:46:29 PM
Several NWS offices do this, not just in the Northeast but in the Midwest as well.

I second noticing this in the Midwest.

Since PA switched to distance-based exit numbering back in the earliest part of the century, I've noticed more emphasis on mileposts in both weather forecasts and VMSes for construction. It's a good practice. That's one of the reasons they're there.

KEVIN_224

I've never seen or heard mile markers in weather advisories here in central CT. Hartford County is served by the Boston region NWS office in Taunton, MA while the southern 4 counties get served by the office in Upton, NY. Litchfield County, CT is served by the Albany NWS office. I-84 mile markers would've helped on Wednesday, as there was a report of hail close to an inch in diameter.

roadman

Quote from: PAHighways on September 04, 2019, 07:51:45 PM
NWS Pittsburgh and NWS State College also provide mile markers in warnings.

SM-G965U

Yep.  I first noticed the practice when monitoring NOAA while traveling through PA in 2005.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadman

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on September 05, 2019, 02:33:34 PM
I've never seen or heard mile markers in weather advisories here in central CT. Hartford County is served by the Boston region NWS office in Taunton, MA while the southern 4 counties get served by the office in Upton, NY. Litchfield County, CT is served by the Albany NWS office. I-84 mile markers would've helped on Wednesday, as there was a report of hail close to an inch in diameter.

NOAA broadcasts from the Taunton MA and Gray ME offices do not include highway mile markers in their advisories.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.