News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Philadelphia

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 03:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: Tonytone on October 16, 2019, 01:51:18 PMAs in all trolleys. Like have they been improved into which they would be more efficient compared to other modes of transportation. Compared to the older trolleys that have been around since god knows when.
At present, the newest of SEPTA's trolley cars, used for all other lines except the Route 15 line, are circa 1981.  I, personally, don't know if there any plans in the foreseeable future to replace those.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

ekt8750

SEPTA plans to order 80 modern articulated low floor light rail vehicles and leading up to their delivery will be overhauling the streets they run on to accommodate the new cars. They're 10 years out I believe.

SEPTA and the DVRPC came out with an extensive PDF laying out their plan for rebuilding the surface streets:

https://www.dvrpc.org/Reports/15014.pdf

Tonytone

Quote from: ekt8750 on October 16, 2019, 02:34:38 PM
SEPTA plans to order 80 modern articulated low floor light rail vehicles and leading up to their delivery will be overhauling the streets they run on to accommodate the new cars. They're 10 years out I believe.

SEPTA and the DVRPC came out with an extensive PDF laying out their plan for rebuilding the surface streets:

https://www.dvrpc.org/Reports/15014.pdf
WOAH! If they do this. This will be a BIGGG improvement in philly & on the streets, the trolleys are good to have & I always thought how you board the trolley was pretty unsafe.

The plans to create that curb bump-out & dedicated bike/Trolley lanes will make using the trolley safer & easier. While also making the intersection/area better.

This will definitely improve trolley times & maybe even bring life back to trolleys in other cities *Cough Wilmington De Cough*

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Tonytone on October 16, 2019, 01:04:38 PM
Have there been advances in trollys? They dont build them anymore & im sure the older ones would run better if all updated. Or would there be no difference.

iPhone

Trolleys are still built, but usually go under the name of light rail.

Tonytone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 16, 2019, 03:57:53 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on October 16, 2019, 01:04:38 PM
Have there been advances in trollys? They dont build them anymore & im sure the older ones would run better if all updated. Or would there be no difference.

iPhone

Trolleys are still built, but usually go under the name of light rail.
Ooooooh shitt. So after this update to phillys trolleys & surrounding area. Will it make it a light rail? The updates are pretty big & make it a separate entity from the road.

iPhone

Tonytone

Does anyone know of the abandon subway stops in Philly, as well as cancelled or planned construction?

Also will the KOP Line connect to the subway system? and is the Benjamin Franklin Bridge the only one with the subway train tracks? very interesting because that part of Philly gives NYC vibes.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Tonytone on November 01, 2019, 10:19:13 PM
Does anyone know of the abandon subway stops in Philly, as well as cancelled or planned construction?

Also will the KOP Line connect to the subway system? and is the Benjamin Franklin Bridge the only one with the subway train tracks? very interesting because that part of Philly gives NYC vibes.

Only bridge in Philly? Yes.  Only bridge in the country? Not by a long shot.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Also will the KOP Line connect to the subway system?

Unless the King of Prussia line connects to 69th St Station or 30th Street Station, the answer will be no.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

MASTERNC

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on November 02, 2019, 09:47:15 PM
Also will the KOP Line connect to the subway system?

Unless the King of Prussia line connects to 69th St Station or 30th Street Station, the answer will be no.

It would connect to the Norristown High Speed Line, which meets the subway at 69th Street

PHLBOS

Edit below in blue:
Quote from: Tonytone on November 01, 2019, 10:19:13 PMDoes anyone know of the abandon subway stops in Philly, as well as cancelled or planned construction?
On the PATCO line, there is the Franklin Square station at 7th & Race in Philly that's been closed since Sept. 1979.  There are plans to rehab & reopen it sometime in 2023... if one takes what's listed in PATCO's website as gospel.  There has been a long history of off & on plans to reopen the station.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 04, 2019, 09:25:18 AM
Quote from: Tonytone on November 01, 2019, 10:19:13 PMDoes anyone know of the abandon subway stops in Philly, as well as cancelled or planned construction?
On the PATCO line, there is the Franklin Square station at 7th & Race in Philly that's been closed since Sept. 1979.  There are plans to rehab & reopen it sometime in 2023 every random 2 or 3 years.

Fixed.

This subway stop's reopening has been mentioned so many times, with each upcoming time supposedly being more realistic than the last, that even three or four years from now it won't be able to reopen unless they start working on it within the next year due to all the necessary upgrades that station will need.

Beltway

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 04, 2019, 09:31:07 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on November 04, 2019, 09:25:18 AM
On the PATCO line, there is the Franklin Square station at 7th & Race in Philly that's been closed since Sept. 1979.  There are plans to rehab & reopen it sometime in 2023 every random 2 or 3 years.
Fixed.
This subway stop's reopening has been mentioned so many times, with each upcoming time supposedly being more realistic than the last, that even three or four years from now it won't be able to reopen unless they start working on it within the next year due to all the necessary upgrades that station will need.

Would the Ridge Avenue Spur carry enough ridership to even justify that?

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 04, 2019, 09:31:07 AM
FWIW, the listed 2023 date was taken directly from PATCO's website; and I've since edited my original post to reflect such. 

While I agree with you in principle regarding the multiple off-again/on-again regarding plans for the station reopening; now that the Square is no longer the derelict vacant lot it was for many decades since the station's closing, there is now more of an incentive to reopen/re-establish the station there.  Whether or not DRPA ultimately goes through with such is anyone's guess.

Quote from: Beltway on November 04, 2019, 09:51:50 AMWould the Ridge Avenue Spur carry enough ridership to even justify that?
The Ridge Ave Spur serves a different purpose/mission/clientele than the PATCO line.

Besides, the Tonytone's original question was regarding stations that were either abandoned or proposed but not built, not ones that are currently open & active (Ridge Ave. Spur's Chinatown station with respect to Franklin Square).  My answer was an example of the former.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Beltway

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 04, 2019, 10:02:30 AM
Quote from: Beltway on November 04, 2019, 09:51:50 AMWould the Ridge Avenue Spur carry enough ridership to even justify that?
The Ridge Ave Spur serves a different purpose/mission/clientele than the PATCO line.
Besides, the Tonytone's original question was regarding stations that were either abandoned or proposed but not built, not ones that are currently open & active (Ridge Ave. Spur's Chinatown station with respect to Franklin Square).  My answer was an example of the former.
Oh ok ... I got the two mixed up.  I see the Chinatown station on the map.

The PATCO line as I am well aware runs near a segment of the Ridge Avenue Spur and that station, but is an entirely separate line.  The Franklin Square station would be very near to the Chinatown station, but would have its utility in being at least 5 blocks from the 8th and Market Street PATCO station and would serve its own urban residential and business sector.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Tonytone

Quote from: Beltway on November 04, 2019, 11:51:22 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on November 04, 2019, 10:02:30 AM
Oh ok ... I got the two mixed up.  I see the Chinatown station on the map.

The PATCO line as I am well aware runs near a segment of the Ridge Avenue Spur and that station, but is an entirely separate line.  The Franklin Square station would be very near to the Chinatown station, but would have its utility in being at least 5 blocks from the 8th and Market Street PATCO station and would serve its own urban residential and business sector.

From this map I found on Google. This shows all the transportation modes. I guess what the subway doesn't cover, other modes do. Kinda sad to see the subway not fully completed & reallly serving the philly area.

What stopped the subway from going into North Philly. Or cough Delaware cough. 

I found a map that really shows the itinerary proposed systems & damn its massive. (No pun intended)

iPhone

PHLBOS

Note the dotted lines on Google Maps showing the PATCO corridor on the right, through Franklin Square; as well as the faint lines showing SEPTA's Broad-Ridge Spur west of 8th Street on the left.

This concrete block along 7th St. was where the stairwell down to the closed PATCO station was.

Quote from: Tonytone on November 04, 2019, 12:52:50 PMWhat stopped the subway from going into North Philly. Or cough Delaware cough.
SEPTA's Broad Street Line serves North Philadelphia & has done such for decades.  Do you, by any chance mean Northeast Philadelphia... particularly the upper/northern part of it beyond the Frankford Terminal of the Market-Frankford Line?  IIRC, there was a long-range, long since-abandoned plan to extend the Market-Frankford Line beyond Frankford and run along the center of the Roosevelt Blvd. (US 1) corridor.  It likely went nowhere due to lack of available funds.

As far as extending any subway to Delaware is concerned; SEPTA's Market-Frankford Line barely serves Delaware County (69th St. Transportation Center & Milbourne are the only Delco stations on the line) let alone the State of Delaware.  Two of the four Subway-Surface Routes (11 & 13) from Center City serve Darby Borough.  Trolley Routes 101 & 102 are the only ones that are completely in & serve Delco up to Media & Sharon Hill.

As far as train service between Philadelphia & Wilmington served by SEPTA & its predecessors are concerned; this Wiki account of the Marcus Hook/Wilmington/Newark line (once known as the R2 line) gives the history in a nutshell.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Tonytone

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 04, 2019, 01:28:58 PM
Note the dotted lines on Google Maps showing the PATCO corridor on the right, through Franklin Square; as well as the faint lines showing SEPTA's Broad-Ridge Spur west of 8th Street on the left.

This concrete block along 7th St. was where the stairwell down to the closed PATCO station was.

Quote from: Tonytone on November 04, 2019, 12:52:50 PMWhat stopped the subway from going into North Philly. Or cough Delaware cough.
SEPTA's Broad Street Line serves North Philadelphia & has done such for decades.  Do you, by any chance mean Northeast Philadelphia... particularly the upper/northern part of it beyond the Frankford Terminal of the Market-Frankford Line?  IIRC, there was a long-range, long since-abandoned plan to extend the Market-Frankford Line beyond Frankford and run along the center of the Roosevelt Blvd. (US 1) corridor.  It likely went nowhere due to lack of available funds.

As far as extending any subway to Delaware is concerned; SEPTA's Market-Frankford Line barely serves Delaware County (69th St. Transportation Center & Milbourne are the only Delco stations on the line) let alone the State of Delaware.  Two of the four Subway-Surface Routes (11 & 13) from Center City serve Darby Borough.  Trolley Routes 101 & 102 are the only ones that are completely in & serve Delco up to Media & Sharon Hill.

As far as train service between Philadelphia & Wilmington served by SEPTA & its predecessors are concerned; this Wiki account of the Marcus Hook/Wilmington/Newark line (once known as the R2 line) gives the history in a nutshell.
Thank you for the info. I did mean Northeast Philly. & from reading it seems that world war I is the cause for many of Americas projects to be canceled due to inflation from the war.

The Wilmington-Newark wiki is interesting. I never knew Namans & Edgemoor had stations. They were closed a long time ago. I guess they were all pretty close together. Im surprised they didnt put a station ins New Castle. Since that is between Wilmington & Newark. What was the Broad loop gonna look like? I see the fashion center is what keeps the Broad/Ridge spur alive.

I noticed upper darby & west Philly is serviced pretty damn well. From a lil bit of subway to hella trolleys. Do they have more transportation in west philly?

iPhone

PHLBOS

Quote from: Tonytone on November 04, 2019, 01:43:18 PMDo they have more transportation in west philly?
West Philadelphia was largely served by all five branches of the Subway-Surface trolleys that originate from Center City as well as the western portion of the Market-Frankford Line.  The Market portion of the name is derived from the fact that such runs along Market St.; be it above (46th to 63rd St. stations) or below (40th to 2nd St. stations) depending on location.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Tonytone

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 04, 2019, 01:49:49 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on November 04, 2019, 01:43:18 PMDo they have more transportation in west philly?
West Philadelphia was largely served by all five branches of the Subway-Surface trolleys that originate from Center City as well as the western portion of the Market-Frankford Line.  The Market portion of the name is derived from the fact that such runs along Market St.; be it above (46th to 63rd St. stations) or below (40th to 2nd St. stations) depending on location.
That's interesting I didnt know that. Just yesterday while in West Philly on S 40th & Walnut. I was shocked to see a trolley come down the tracks! I thought that line was abandoned.

Also I found these pretty interesting videos on Youtube about Septa

https://youtu.be/BkWxbAoOK2o /

https://youtu.be/zcxezjtw1Ak

iPhone

Tonytone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 02, 2019, 02:28:29 PM

Only bridge in Philly? Yes.  Only bridge in the country? Not by a long shot.
Was there plans for other train bridges in Philly & the surrounding area? Why was the Ben Frank built so Newyorker & all the other bridges are built just for cars? Seems to be a big mess up for intergrated transportation systems.

iPhone

PHLBOS

Regarding PATCO's abandoned Franklin Square Station discussed earlier:

PATCO's Franklin Square Station awarded $12.6M federal grant toward reopening

Quote from: Philadelphia Inquirer articleThe long-anticipated reopening of PATCO's "ghost"  station is getting the help of $12.6 million from the Trump administration.  The money intended for the PATCO Franklin Square Station Reopening Project comes as a part of a $900 million investment in 55 infrastructure projects across 35 states through a federal discretionary grants program, the Department of Transportation announced Tuesday.
The Franklin Square Station is the only project in the Philadelphia area to receive an award. The estimated total cost of the Franklin Square Station's reopening is about $25.2 million, according to the DOT.
The station, near Sixth and Race Streets, opened in 1936 and closed in 1979. The Delaware River Port Authority has talked about reopening the stop for more than a decade with it becoming a priority in 2016.

But the decision meant more than just cosmetic changes: The station needs to undergo structural, mechanical, and electrical improvements, and also to become compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Construction is expected to begin next year, with completion slated for 2023, according to PATCO's website.

The DRPA did not immediately respond to an request for comment.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 12, 2019, 06:39:56 PM

Quote from: Philadelphia Inquirer articleThe long-anticipated reopening of PATCO's "ghost"  station is getting the help of $12.6 million from the Trump administration.  The money intended for the PATCO Franklin Square Station Reopening Project comes as a part of a $900 million investment in 55 infrastructure projects across 35 states through a federal discretionary grants program, the Department of Transportation announced Tuesday.
The Franklin Square Station is the only project in the Philadelphia area to receive an award. The estimated total cost of the Franklin Square Station's reopening is about $25.2 million, according to the DOT.
The station, near Sixth and Race Streets, opened in 1936 and closed in 1979. The Delaware River Port Authority has talked about reopening the stop for more than a decade with it becoming a priority in 2016.

But the decision meant more than just cosmetic changes: The station needs to undergo structural, mechanical, and electrical improvements, and also to become compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Construction is expected to begin next year, with completion slated for 2023, according to PATCO's website.

I have to admit that is a very significant development.

And yet...I'm a bit surprised the DRPA didn't jump out praising the news!!

Tonytone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 12, 2019, 08:58:46 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on November 12, 2019, 06:39:56 PM

I have to admit that is a very significant development.

And yet...I'm a bit surprised the DRPA didn't jump out praising the news!!
Wow that is very interesting. Philly reddit is talking about it. So the words getting around, cant wait to see it when its finished. Also. Other philly projects that are moving along or just getting started

https://philly.curbed.com/2017/9/18/16227724/philadelphia-top-transportation-infrastructure-projects

iPhone

Tonytone

Alps

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.