News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

PA Turnpike News

Started by mightyace, February 16, 2009, 05:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crown Victoria

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Crown Victoria on December 28, 2019, 09:58:04 AM
Just a friendly reminder that our annual toll increase is upon us:

https://triblive.com/news/pennsylvania/pennsylvania-turnpike-tolls-increasing-for-12th-straight-year/

Getting a lot of news all over being the toll will be over $50 now!

Crown Victoria

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 28, 2019, 12:49:37 PM

https://triblive.com/news/pennsylvania/pennsylvania-turnpike-tolls-increasing-for-12th-straight-year/

Getting a lot of news all over being the toll will be over $50 now!

Indeed.  I did a quick check to see what the cash/Toll By Plate tolls will be for regular passenger vehicles going across PA:

Westbound from the Delaware River Bridge to Ohio will be $61.20  (EZ Pass $44.10)
Eastbound from Ohio to the Delaware River Bridge will be $65.70  (EZ Pass $44.30)
Eastbound from Ohio to Mid-County, then north to Clarks Summit (why anyone would do this I have no idea!) will be $78.60!  (EZ Pass $52.30)

MASTERNC

The question becomes at what point does 81/70/68 make sense versus the Turnpike west of Carlisle?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: MASTERNC on December 28, 2019, 05:47:25 PM
The question becomes at what point does 81/70/68 make sense versus the Turnpike west of Carlisle?

All depends where you're coming from. For many 80 makes sense.

SteveG1988

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 28, 2019, 06:24:25 PM

Here are the variables i use when in a car, PHL-OHIO

1: Weather. Is it spring/summer/Fall or Winter. If winter, is a snow storm approaching? If so, take 76, the snow clearing on it seems to be overall better. If any other season, 476-80.

2: Am i in a hurry, or can i take slightly more time. The Northern Route adds 30 minutes.

3: Am i splitting the cost of a trip? Am i taking people with me to something out west, like a furry convention or a car show. IF so, take the toll road and just charge em a few extra bucks with the gas money, or have them fill up the gas tank for the entire trip, and you handle the toll.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

wanderer2575

Clearly stated at the beginning of the article, but probably ignored by many, is that the toll increases are at least partially due to legislatively-mandated payments to PennDOT for projects that have no connection whatsoever to the turnpike.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: wanderer2575 on December 29, 2019, 10:42:24 AM

Clearly stated at the beginning of the article, but probably ignored by many, is that the toll increases are at least partially due to legislatively-mandated payments to PennDOT for projects that have no connection whatsoever to the turnpike.

Because, honestly, its irrelevant.  A motorist paying a toll doesn't have any say where that money goes, just like when you buy any other product anywhere. When you buy a candy bar, or a new sofa, your money is going to advertising, salaries, development, cleaning the parking lot, the CEO's private jet, etc. Because the news ain't reporting that doesn't mean it's not happening.

Quote from: SteveG1988 on December 29, 2019, 09:50:07 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 28, 2019, 06:24:25 PM

Here are the variables i use when in a car, PHL-OHIO

1 other for me...Boredom. theres onlyvso many times I can take the same route. If I use 80 it adds a little time to my trip, but at least it's a change of scenery.

wanderer2575

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 29, 2019, 11:23:37 AM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on December 29, 2019, 10:42:24 AM

Because, honestly, its irrelevant.  A motorist paying a toll doesn't have any say where that money goes, just like when you buy any other product anywhere. When you buy a candy bar, or a new sofa, your money is going to advertising, salaries, development, cleaning the parking lot, the CEO's private jet, etc. Because the news ain't reporting that doesn't mean it's not happening.

Your last sentence, exactly.  That the news ain't reporting it doesn't make it irrelevant.  You confuse irrelevancy with ignorance or apathy.

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

Hwy 61 Revisited

I wonder how the interchanges between I-70 and the mainline will be affected by the going cashless (I might call it the "Plating" or "EZ-Passing"). Would the Bedford intersection finally be eliminated?

And how would I-76 leave the mainline turnpike under this Cashless system? Actually, how would any freeway-freeway connections be made?
And you may ask yourself, where does that highway go to?
--David Byrne

PAHighways

Quote from: Hwy 61 Revisited on January 25, 2020, 07:23:43 PM
I wonder how the interchanges between I-70 and the mainline will be affected by the going cashless (I might call it the "Plating" or "EZ-Passing"). Would the Bedford intersection finally be eliminated?

I doubt the PTC would eliminate any interchanges, especially Bedford which is the only connection to I-99 and north from the Turnpike.  If anything, with AET, more interchanges can be added like simple slip ramps such as Exit 340/Virginia Drive up to full ones like Exit 320/PA 29.

Quote from: Hwy 61 Revisited on January 25, 2020, 07:23:43 PMAnd how would I-76 leave the mainline turnpike under this Cashless system? Actually, how would any freeway-freeway connections be made?

The interchanges would be the same, except there would just be a gantry with E-ZPass readers and cameras where the toll plazas are currently located.

SM-G965U

famartin

Quote from: PAHighways on January 26, 2020, 11:19:05 AM

I doubt the PTC would eliminate any interchanges, especially Bedford which is the only connection to I-99 and north from the Turnpike.  If anything, with AET, more interchanges can be added like simple slip ramps such as Exit 340/Virginia Drive up to full ones like Exit 320/PA 29.

Quote from: Hwy 61 Revisited on January 25, 2020, 07:23:43 PMAnd how would I-76 leave the mainline turnpike under this Cashless system? Actually, how would any freeway-freeway connections be made?

The interchanges would be the same, except there would just be a gantry with E-ZPass readers and cameras where the toll plazas are currently located.

SM-G965U

Yeah if anything, they could more cheaply build interchanges without the need for trumpets, just adding standard ramps and toll readers.

Hwy 61 Revisited

Quote from: famartin on January 26, 2020, 11:36:34 AM
Quote from: PAHighways on January 26, 2020, 11:19:05 AM

SM-G965U

Yeah if anything, they could more cheaply build interchanges without the need for trumpets, just adding standard ramps and toll readers.

By "Bedford," I meant "Breezewood." As in, I-70 would actually leave onto the I-70 mainline and eliminate the US 30 overlap. The existing segment on 70 WB to US 30 could be designated as BS-70 or something.

But about Bedford, a cloverleaf at I-99 would be nice, or at I-81 (though that might not happen due to development).

I ask this because of a website I found regarding a hypothetical all-electronic NYS Thruway: http://www.nysroads.com/fic-thwy-aet.php
--David Byrne

DrSmith

It seems like the setup MassDOT went with for the Mass Pike is a good option for cashless on a ticketed system. It went it well. And as a user, there was a good plan once the conversion occurred with traffic passing through the booths for a couple of weeks at 15 mph while outer lanes were demolished and prepared for temporary usage at 35 mph and then the inner portions converted into normal travel lanes and all completed within 1 year.

Also, for where major updates would help traffic things can be designed and implemented. Major updates are planned now for the 495 interchange and Allston-Brighton interchange that can be implemented much easier without the booths or trying to funnel traffic through single points.

seicer

Quote from: Hwy 61 Revisited on January 26, 2020, 12:06:05 PM
By "Bedford," I meant "Breezewood." As in, I-70 would actually leave onto the I-70 mainline and eliminate the US 30 overlap. The existing segment on 70 WB to US 30 could be designated as BS-70 or something.

But about Bedford, a cloverleaf at I-99 would be nice, or at I-81 (though that might not happen due to development).

I ask this because of a website I found regarding a hypothetical all-electronic NYS Thruway: http://www.nysroads.com/fic-thwy-aet.php

It's not hypothetical; it's being implemented right now.

PHLBOS

Quote from: DrSmith on January 26, 2020, 04:07:08 PMIt seems like the setup MassDOT went with for the Mass Pike is a good option for cashless on a ticketed system. It went it well. And as a user, there was a good plan once the conversion occurred with traffic passing through the booths for a couple of weeks at 15 mph while outer lanes were demolished and prepared for temporary usage at 35 mph and then the inner portions converted into normal travel lanes and all completed within 1 year.
One reason why MassDOT's AET conversion along the Pike went fairly smoothly was because its toll collection system, Allston/Brighton, Weston & Newton mainline toll plazas aside, completely changed from a closed-system (payment at the exiting interchange) to AET gantries placed only along the Turnpike mainline... i.e. a toll-barrier system.  Had the Pike's prior toll collection system been all mainline plazas from its inception similar to what the Garden State Parkway has; the AET transition IMHO would not have been as smooth. 

Personally, the PTC (and even the NJTPA for that matter) should look at MassDOT's AET transition as a possible model for their respective proposed AET conversions.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cl94

Quote from: seicer on January 27, 2020, 09:04:20 AM
Quote from: Hwy 61 Revisited on January 26, 2020, 12:06:05 PM

It's not hypothetical; it's being implemented right now.

The AET conversion is not hypothetical. Any interchange conversions are hypothetical. At this point, nothing is being changed, though I expect major changes to occur at Exit 24 within the next decade, because that's the interchange with the most issues right now. They can channelize WB/SB to keep through traffic on I-87 and I-90 separate, but there's no way to avoid "crossing streams" in the other direction unless you block access from I-90 EB to US 20.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Roadsguy

If the PTC not even immediately removing toll plazas is any indication, actually reconfiguring any interchanges is still a long way off.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Hwy 61 Revisited

Quote from: Roadsguy on January 27, 2020, 11:31:55 AM
If the PTC not even immediately removing toll plazas is any indication, actually reconfiguring any interchanges is still a long way off.

I think they're so in debt that immediate removal is not feasible at all.
--David Byrne

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Hwy 61 Revisited on January 27, 2020, 01:23:57 PM

They are in debt but that's different from broke poor. They can still undertake hundreds of millions in constuction projects.

qguy

Quote from: Hwy 61 Revisited on January 27, 2020, 01:23:57 PM

They're in debt by legislative fiat, not because they spend or spent more than they take in.

Crown Victoria

ARMOURERERIC

Upon my regular review of the projects listed on the PTC website, a few projects that had their schedule status changed to TBD over the last 3 years now have rescheduled dates shown such as mainline reconstruction near New Bethlehem.  It will be interesting  to see if any more projects start sporting realistic schedules due to this ruling.

Crown Victoria

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on January 28, 2020, 09:25:52 PM
Upon my regular review of the projects listed on the PTC website, a few projects that had their schedule status changed to TBD over the last 3 years now have rescheduled dates shown such as mainline reconstruction near New Bethlehem.  It will be interesting  to see if any more projects start sporting realistic schedules due to this ruling.

New Bethlehem is quite a distance off the Turnpike...did you mean New Baltimore?  Looks like 2022 for the first part of that project, which will include removal of the steps to the church there.

The resolution of the Act 44 lawsuit will provide some clarity, but the Turnpike's debt load will continue to ensure a slow pace as far as reconstruction goes. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.