The New Mercedes EQS is a big frickin deal

Started by kernals12, April 01, 2021, 08:33:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

I'm got a Toyota Solara vibe from how the EQS looked.  It's weird to see the whole four door coupe/CLS thing incorporated into an otherwise boring looking front facade.

kernals12

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 17, 2021, 01:40:08 PM
I'm got a Toyota Solara vibe from how the EQS looked.  It's weird to see the whole four door coupe/CLS thing incorporated into an otherwise boring looking front facade.
It's not really a 4 door coupe. It's more like the cab forward design Chrysler pioneered in the 90s.

Also, I think EQS concept, with its wide shoulders and flat hood, was very good looking

kernals12

Quote from: Rothman on April 17, 2021, 01:05:23 PM
Quote from: SP Cook on April 17, 2021, 12:48:44 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on April 17, 2021, 12:11:12 PM

Wait what? Gasoline cars don't nearly do 1500 miles on a tank.

No, but they can be refilled (recharged) in about 10 minutes literally anywhere in the world from a standard device that exists well within the range of the vehicles, many dozens of times over.  Electric cars, not so much.  LOOOOOOOOOOOONG charging times, a extremely limited number of charging devices, and these are not even to a industry standard, meaning an even more extremely limited number that fit a particular brand of car.
It still seems the idea of 1500 miles per charge AND a ten minute charge is a bit extreme.  It would be awesome, but not a minimum requirement for me to buy a car.

I'd be happy with 300 miles per charge with charges taking as long as a fillup (a few minutes).

Also, you can plug in your electric car at home and it will be fully charged the next morning. Most people would find it very inconvenient to go to a gas station every day.

kernals12

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 17, 2021, 01:26:40 PM
Per Car and Driver, the Hyperscreen is an option and if you skip that, you get a more conventional center screen about the size of an iPad Pro (the largest iPad).

Regarding the exterior styling, one thing to consider with any EV is coefficient of drag being a major consideration.

But the Lucid Air and Tesla Model S are only slightly less aerodynamic but are way better looking.

Also, I wonder if this is the beginning of a great aerodynamic arms race like the one the Ford Taurus started in 1986. We might see enclosed wheel arches and, if the government allows it, cameras replacing sideview mirrors.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kernals12 on April 17, 2021, 04:33:57 PM
Per Car and Driver, the Hyperscreen is an option and if you skip that, you get a more conventional center screen about the size of an iPad Pro (the largest iPad).

Regarding the exterior styling, one thing to consider with any EV is coefficient of drag being a major consideration.

But the Lucid Air and Tesla Model S are only slightly less aerodynamic but are way better looking.

Also, I wonder if this is the beginning of a great aerodynamic arms race like the one the Ford Taurus started in 1986. We might see enclosed wheel arches and, if the government allows it, cameras replacing sideview mirrors.

Hopefully not, cars got incredibly boring looking during the jelly bean era in styling.  If I recall correctly Tesla was actually pushing NHSTA to approve cameras in place of mirrors on the front doors. 

1995hoo

I'm not familiar with the Lucid Air, but I do agree with you about the Tesla being a nicer-looking car than the Mercedes.

Irrelevant for me anyway. I can't afford either, and I'm sure the Mercedes will run more than the Tesla. I'm quite happy with my current cars anyway (and you can't get an EV with a manual transmission, as far as I know).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kernals12

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 17, 2021, 06:00:44 PM

I'm not familiar with the Lucid Air, but I do agree with you about the Tesla being a nicer-looking car than the Mercedes.

Irrelevant for me anyway. I can't afford either, and I'm sure the Mercedes will run more than the Tesla. I'm quite happy with my current cars anyway (and you can't get an EV with a manual transmission, as far as I know).

You can't get an EV with any sort of transmission.

CoreySamson

Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

1995hoo

Quote from: kernals12 on April 17, 2021, 08:57:00 PM

If that were true, you'd be agreeing with me: you can't get an EV with a manual transmission.

Technically, the auto industry views what Teslas have as a one-speed "direct drive" transmission.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 18, 2021, 08:28:33 AM
Quote from: kernals12 on April 17, 2021, 08:57:00 PM

If that were true, you'd be agreeing with me: you can't get an EV with a manual transmission.

Technically, the auto industry views what Teslas have as a one-speed "direct drive" transmission.

The Taycan has a second gear likely due to the buying demographics of Porsche tending to have people who actually race.  So that being the case top speed would be a concern for some Taycan buyers, I'm to understand it is around 150 MPH.  I suspect as time goes on performance EVs will have more gears to help them hit 200 MPH plus.  I believe most Tesla Models (including the old Roadster) topped out at about 120 MPH. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.