News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

New Jersey does it with US 46 on I-280.  They sign Exit 1 for TO US 46 (as that is the best way to get to it as there are no direct ramps at the west terminus at I-80) however, at the end, the ramp leading from I-280 to the I-80 local lanes for I-287 traffic has also a TO US 46 shield in the same manner.  The I-287 exit off of I-80 W Bound does have access to US 46 via Littleton Road. 

So this concept at I-4's end is not played out.   Plus the new I-95 N Bound ramp I think ties into a c/d roadway that also is the NB I-95 ramp to US 92 as well.  Also in the 1990's Daytona Beach was signed via I-95 N Bound to US 92 E Bound as the former left US 92 ramp had no control city on it.  The pull through for I-4 E Bound there was signed for Daytona Beach and Jacksonville and everyone (this was pre GPS) followed that into I-95 for US 92 instead of that direct exit then. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

RG407

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on September 22, 2019, 08:54:39 AM
FL Tpk study the possibility to add an interchange at Sand Lake Rd/FL-482. I don't know if it'll be a traditionnal diamond or a DDI. http://www.floridasturnpike.com/sandlakeinterchange.html

They also study for future upgrades of the Orlando South interchange (US-17/92/441/FL-528). http://www.floridasturnpike.com/orlandosouth.html

A Turnpike interchange with Sand Lake Rd. or John Young Parkway would have been a good idea 20 years ago.  Now, I don't think Sand Lake needs the additional traffic.  This sounds like a "hey, what do you think about this?" trial balloon.  The Turnpike folks floated one several years ago at Hiawassee Road in Southwest Orlando.  It got shot down fairly quickly by nearby residents.

The Orlando South interchange is long overdue for an upgrade.  The double trumpet and use of surface roads for connections to FL 528 is extremely outdated.

Great Lakes Roads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBm-c7dEdTk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifFS4_AeXvs

Here is a video of the proposed improvements at the I-275/I-4 interchange in Tampa.

roadman65

Sand Lake has enough headaches to warrant this. Walmart is right next to it built on land originally planned for office parks.  If that development along John Young became corporate offices instead of shared retail and offices, it would be feasible.

The Orlando south needs more direct ramps as traffic bottlenecks there from substandard ramps and overzealous politicians and get rich quick development in Central Florida.

Sheryl Crowe

D-Dey65

More I-75 stuff.

As I mentioned on another thread, the northbound I-75 Marion County truck weigh station is under reconstruction. The northbound off-ramp to FL 44 (Exit 329), has been officially relocated and opened, and is joined by northbound Exit 307 on Florida's Turnpike, making this the new last exit on the turnpike. The southbound on-ramps from FL 44 are still being worked on though.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 01, 2019, 11:11:13 PM
More I-75 stuff.

As I mentioned on another thread, the northbound I-75 Marion County truck weigh station is under reconstruction. The northbound off-ramp to FL 44 (Exit 329), has been officially relocated and opened, and is joined by northbound Exit 307 on Florida's Turnpike, making this the new last exit on the turnpike. The southbound on-ramps from FL 44 are still being worked on though.

So, does this mean that I should extend the Turnpike on TM?  Or how does this all work now?  Is there a layout as to how what/will change?

Eth

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 02, 2019, 04:13:48 AM
More I-75 stuff.

So, does this mean that I should extend the Turnpike on TM?  Or how does this all work now?  Is there a layout as to how what/will change?

The only thing I can come up with is Street View, where signage suggests that this is probably roughly where the northbound gore point is. OSM doesn't seem to be updated here, and the only satellite imagery I can find is from before construction even started.

jdb1234

More I-75 stuff.

I noticed some of that on my way home from Marco Island back in August (I detoured through The Villages and then to Orland on my way down).  The bad thing is this is going to cause a bottleneck north of FL 44 where 3 lanes of I-75 Northbound and 2 lanes of the Turnpike Northbound merge into 3 lanes of I-75.

VTGoose

Quote from: jdb1234 on October 02, 2019, 02:47:30 PM

The bad thing is this is going to cause a bottleneck north of FL 44 where 3 lanes of I-75 Northbound and 2 lanes of the Turnpike Northbound merge into 3 lanes of I-75.

And that will be different how? In our 4 years of traveling between Virginia and Tampa, that section of I-75 has typically been where we will hit a snag (along with Charlotte, but that's just Charlotte). We have been in some monumental slowdowns/backups because of a wreck somewhere around exit 329.

The upside is that progress has been made and the long section of two-lane traffic was sharply reduced when we came through back in early August. The other good news is that after years of "work" on the project, the Starke bypass is complete. We can only hope that it doesn't take as long to finish the Baldwin bypass.

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

edwaleni

Project Details
Project Start:   March 2017
Expected Completion:   Summer 2020
Cost:   $60 million
Roads   U.S. 301
Counties   Duval
Cities   Baldwin
Contact
Bianca Speights
904-360-5471

D-Dey65

Is Marion County going to add a County Road designation for the Belleview Loop (SE 132nd St. Rd. and SE 92 Loop), or not?

Also, does anybody remember those artistic looking road signs I mentioned in DeLand?

Here they are:
https://ibb.co/f44pc99
(I hate it when you try to insert images and they don't show up.)

D-Dey65

Quote from: jdb1234 on October 02, 2019, 02:47:30 PM
More I-75 stuff.

I noticed some of that on my way home from Marco Island back in August (I detoured through The Villages and then to Orland on my way down).  The bad thing is this is going to cause a bottleneck north of FL 44 where 3 lanes of I-75 Northbound and 2 lanes of the Turnpike Northbound merge into 3 lanes of I-75.
I just though I saw a major flaw with this project that I never anticipated. It's obvious that the whole purpose of the reconstruction project is to prevent weaving between traffic coming off of Florida's Turnpike and entering FL 44 northbound and vice versa southbound. However, I was concerned that the current plan simply moves the weaving from the main northbound lanes to the extended off-ramp from I-75. You could have people weaving from the new Exit 307 on the turnpike to go eastbound at FL 44, and drivers leaving I-75 will be weaving to go west on FL 44.

A simple solution; extend and split Exit 307, so that eastbound and westbound ramps can only be on one side of the new northbound off-ramp from I-75.

Looking closer at the vicinity made me realize this might not be necessary.

Brian556

1995hoo

Quote from: DeaconG on September 22, 2019, 12:32:43 PM
Brevard County's first DDI has been up and running for about a month now at I-95 and Viera Blvd. Of course, it took two months to actually, you know, finish the punch list items before they opened it, but that's a minor peccadillo. The local traffic is starting to use the interchange, it'll be a blessing for me to get to the VA Clinic without having to fight the entire length of Stadium Parkway.

We drove through the Viera DDI tonight on Viera Boulevard for the first time on our way to dinner at the Mexican place outside Publix on Stadium Parkway. I haven't been here since last Christmas. Main thing I noted is the annoying speed limit drop–40 mph on either side but 30 mph through the DDI. I couldn't help but wonder if they think people would fly in at 50+ and not make the curve where you cross over to the left side.

I also thought the ramp from NB I-95 to Viera Boulevard should have been designed so right-turning traffic to EB Viera wouldn't have to wait at a red light that prohibits turns on red, but I understand there were some environmental issues that constrained the ramps' design.

Either way, a huge improvement.....and now that it's there, my sister-in-law no longer lives right across Stadium Parkway from Publix. We're here to visit her because she's been diagnosed with cancer that's almost certain to be terminal, and she's in an assisted-living facility nearby because of the effects it's having on her.

Unrelated to the DDI: What are they doing on the Bee Line east from 417? It was dark by the time our flight landed, so all I could see was a long parade of orange barrels on the right side of the eastbound carriageway. I guess I might get a better look later this week on the way back to MCO because that'll be during the afternoon.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Brian556

Found a Turnpike Route Marker Assembly with a diagonal down arrow like California. Also the I-75 arrow plaque is the wrong style, and the turnpike sign should be next to it
https://www.google.com/maps/@28.8375775,-82.0454407,3a,20.3y,344.56h,89.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1slYD7h7HOYuw1T6DBo89a2w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

ozarkman417

According to This article, the St. John's Heritage Parkway exit from I-95 (#166) should now be open, after two months of delays. I missed the opening by only a few days when I went down to Lake Okeechobee.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: ozarkman417 on December 03, 2019, 11:06:28 PM
According to This article, the St. John's Heritage Parkway exit from I-95 (#166) should now be open, after two months of delays. I missed the opening by only a few days when I went down to Lake Okeechobee.

Nope, projected to be the 8th now.

NE2

The construction on 528 is for the rail line to Miami (forget what they're calling it now).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

formulanone

Quote from: NE2 on December 04, 2019, 08:10:19 AM
The construction on 528 is for the rail line to Miami (forget what they're calling it now).

I think it's the Brightline. > https://www.gobrightline.com

I thought they'd renamed Tri-Rail, but they're separate. Of course, there's Virgin sponsorship, which makes it a little more confusing.

1995hoo

Thanks. It was just too dark to see anything other than the barrels last night.

Looking out the hotel window, I'm struck by the order of "South I-95"  (rather than "I-95 South" ) on this BGS; its companion on the other side of the highway likewise has "North I-95."  Always strikes me as odd when it's like this.

emory

This apparently happened late last year, but it appears Las Olas Boulevard in Fort Lauderdale has been dropped from the books, terminating SR 842 at US 1 according to SLDs. The portion of Las Olas between US 1 and SE 16th Ave was already relinquished to the city long ago, creating a gap in the road.

GSV confirms 842 shields on Las Olas are gone. It also shows an erroneous EAST SR A1A sign that was erected, clearly meant to be a "TO" trailblazer.

1995hoo

Thanks again. I got a better look at it on the way back to MCO this afternoon, but I still wouldn't have guessed what they were doing. A fellow at the place where my sister-in-law lives confirmed it's a high-speed rail project.

TimQuiQui

roadman65

Was on 528 earlier and initial work is at Narcoosee Road as the ramps to and from the EB side are being redone to accommodate the rail line.  Also at the Econ River, International Corporate Park Blvd (which is closed to traffic now under the freeway), and at Dallas Blvd. sees the progress of future bridges for the rail grade.  In addition work is underway at the Orlando Airport as the line will run between Jeff Fiqua Blvd. and the apron (what the FAA calls the plane's parking area) or the tarmac and signs of clearing are visible.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadsguy

Did FDOT ever apply for the I-795 designation on SR 9B? The whole thing has been open for a while now, but I haven't heard of it getting signed as an Interstate.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.