Ontario Exit Tabs

Started by 7/8, October 11, 2017, 10:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7/8

Driving down the 401 from Montreal made me realize that Ontario isn't as consist as I thought with exit tabs. I thought all (or at least the vast majority) of Ontario's exit tabs were rectangular with only the number.

For example:

However, I noticed several signs with exit tabs different from this style. Did Ontario used to write "EXIT" and use rounded corners for their exit tabs?

Here's some that say "EXIT" and have rounded corners

Here, the word "EXIT" is greened-out

"EXIT" with sharp corners

A left-aligned tab for a right-hand exit

Not an exit tab, but notice the round corners

AsphaltPlanet

that's just the evolution of signage styles in Ontario.  Before the late 80's or so, Ontario rounded sign corners like most other jurisdictions.  Starting in the early to mid 90s (it depended on the exact region within the MTO), the word 'exit' on exit tabs was phased out for bilingual reasons.

Specifically in the Kingston area, for the signs where the word 'exit' has been blanked out was done fairly recently (within the last five or so years) when Kingston was added to the list of communities covered under the French Language Services Act.

Just for interests sake, the City of Markham was recently added as a designated community within the French Language services act, and accordingly, the signage on the short section of Highway 7 that remains under provincial jurisdiction was recently replaced with new bilingual signage.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

7/8

^ Thanks for the quick response. I've driven the 401 to Montreal many times, but I never noticed the "EXIT" tabs until now. These are the types of things I pay more attention to after joining aaroads. :)

AsphaltPlanet

I think the sign is gone now, but the advanced signage for the exit to Franklin Boulevard in Cambridge had an 'exit' tab as well.  It was one of very few that remained in southwestern Ontario:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_401_images/401_dv_283-5_east_Oct15_24x16.jpg

There is (or at least was when I was last through there in February), an old style angled exit sign for North Agusta Road in Brockville.  Angled signs such as this were once the norm for turn-off signs in Ontario:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_401_images/401_dv_698_west_Jul12_24x16.jpg
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

7/8

I can confirm that first sign is gone.

I got a photo of the second sign and it still looks like it's in great condition.

Here's two older signs with round corners on the 400 northbound

And here's an "EXIT" tab on the 400

AsphaltPlanet

Thanks for posting.  I saw those signs last week on a drive up to Sault Ste. Marie for work.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.