News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Tennessee

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freebrickproductions

Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 03, 2018, 12:13:11 PM
Do my eyes deceive me, or is there a right-of-way for a proposed or abandoned frontage road along I-275 at Exit 2 in Knoxville?

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.9911723,-83.951231,3a,75y,335.54h,98.74t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sy7gi23TN0dWB6NZsqJu_qg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Looks like it's due to a creek there.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

D-Dey65

Quote from: freebrickproductions on May 03, 2018, 02:33:38 PM
That was my other thought.

Now to Metro-Chattanooga; Any plans to replace that two-lane mini-tunnel under the railroad line over US 11-41-64-72 at the foot of Lookout Mountain?

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.0206445,-85.364,3a,75y,77.51h,94.33t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9112Gk2gzod5LFVlMSvTVw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Brooks

Today I thought I could try to get some pictures of Memfix 4 from the Hilton right next to it.  I hadn't thought of the view from there, but it was a great one from the elevators and the adjoining hallway.

This picture includes most of the construction zone, with the ramp from EB 240 to WB Poplar in the foreground. Note the demolished concrete median barrier.

This shows the rest of the construction area not visible in the first picture. The bridge is WB Poplar over 240.

The two bridges visible in the middle foreground are the Norfolk Southern rail bridge and Park Avenue (with NS being the closer one to my vantage point). You can see some of the support columns going up; however, I'm not sure if they're for the temporary shoofly or the new structure.

This shot is a closer look at the second picture's area - the bridges are being prepared for demolition, I am assuming.

Despite claims by TDOT that the closures will start in June, I have yet to hear anything via them or Kiewit regarding the exact dates of these closures. If they want to ensure this ABC process going smoothly, they need to start communicating with the public. This is already one of the busiest spots in Memphis traffic wise without factoring in construction.

bigdave

Looks like TnDOT has been out raising a few speed limits. The speed limit on I-75 approaching Knoxville from the South no longer drops to 65 for the last 14-16 miles South of the merge with I-40. It stays at 70, and then drops to 65 on I-75N/I-40E after the merge. Going South, it goes back up to 70 mph after the split when you are back on I-75 South.

Nice little adjustment by TnDOT. I just wish they would do something about the truck control lanes in Knoxville and Chattanooga. The existing truck control lanes must date back to the 80s before a lot of the widening was done in both cities. There's not even truck control lanes in Chattanooga going over the mountain next to the VW plant - that's four lanes and I have seen 18 wheelers going up that grade in the left lane.  :banghead:

amroad17

Quote from: freebrickproductions on May 03, 2018, 02:33:38 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 03, 2018, 12:13:11 PM
Do my eyes deceive me, or is there a right-of-way for a proposed or abandoned frontage road along I-275 at Exit 2 in Knoxville?

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.9911723,-83.951231,3a,75y,335.54h,98.74t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sy7gi23TN0dWB6NZsqJu_qg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

I believe there used to be an entrance ramp.  TNDOT got rid of the cloverleaf interchanges along I-275 about 12-15 years ago.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Tom958

Modification of the trumpet interchange of I-24 and Hickory Hollow Boulevard in Nashville into a DDI to extend the latter across the former to serve the site of a new Ikea. The Ikea was canceled (along with several others across the nation) a few months ago, and so was the interchange, but now the interchange is back on the books. The layout of the interchange is quite bizarre: not the DDI itself, but the tunneled half-SPUI connecting to Ikea Boulevard and the partial retention of the existing loop ramp to feed it, even at the cost of an additional bridge. Tennessee is known for providing fairly elaborate extra ramps for shopping centers, but this one's over the top, IMO. https://www.tn.gov/tdot/projects/region-3/interstate-24-hickory-hollow-pkwy-interchange.html

bigdave

Quote from: Tom958 on July 29, 2018, 06:07:04 AM
Modification of the trumpet interchange of I-24 and Hickory Hollow Boulevard in Nashville into a DDI to extend the latter across the former to serve the site of a new Ikea. The Ikea was canceled (along with several others across the nation) a few months ago, and so was the interchange, but now the interchange is back on the books. The layout of the interchange is quite bizarre: not the DDI itself, but the tunneled half-SPUI connecting to Ikea Boulevard and the partial retention of the existing loop ramp to feed it, even at the cost of an additional bridge. Tennessee is known for providing fairly elaborate extra ramps for shopping centers, but this one's over the top, IMO. https://www.tn.gov/tdot/projects/region-3/interstate-24-hickory-hollow-pkwy-interchange.html

I love it. TN spends a lot of money on HH Parkway which carries the former name of a half dead mall, and will go ahead and build Ikea Blvd which carries the name of a retailer that bailed before even breaking ground.

The work may be needed, but perhaps some renaming is in order?

David

triplemultiplex

"Late Capitalism Blvd"
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Tom958

Brooks

Another picture of the Memfix 4 Project on I-240 in East Memphis. This was taken on 8/18 during the full weekend closure. The bridge being demolished in this picture was the old Poplar Avenue westbound bridge, which has since been replaced along with the old eastbound bridge (left background) as of this past weekend. Note the bridge deck pieces waiting to be lifted into place. The new norfolk southern bridge has also been built; however, the old one has yet to be demolished.

Brooks

New exit on Interstate 40 in Fayette County at SR 196/Hickory Withe Rd. I believe it is signed as exit 29. It is a diamond interchange with enought ROW provided to add loop ramps at any quadrant. It'll now be the first point you can exit in Fayette County and it'll give access to the east side of Arlington, which is growing steadily. Photos taken 12/5/18.

froggie

^ Oscar posted a photo in another forum that shows it signed as Exit 28.

roadman65

What is the portion of the freeway between I-55 S Bound and I-240 E Bound called through the I-55 and 240 Interchange?

I noticed there is more than a half a mile of neither route number between where 55 exits to go south and where 240 merges to go east.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

triplemultiplex

Quote from: roadman65 on October 16, 2019, 11:14:18 PM
What is the portion of the freeway between I-55 S Bound and I-240 E Bound called through the I-55 and 240 Interchange?

I noticed there is more than a half a mile of neither route number between where 55 exits to go south and where 240 merges to go east.

Technically, the designations continue to the center of the interchange and "teleport" in a 90 degree fashion onto the perpendicular freeway.  At least according to TNDOT nomenclature.  As far as the signs and the average traveler are concerned, you're on the next interstate once you pass the gore where 55 or 240 exit off themselves.

sparker

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 17, 2019, 04:48:57 PM
Technically, the designations continue to the center of the interchange and "teleport" in a 90 degree fashion onto the perpendicular freeway.  At least according to TNDOT nomenclature.  As far as the signs and the average traveler are concerned, you're on the next interstate once you pass the gore where 55 or 240 exit off themselves.

That's the same delineation used in CA; this is particularly evidenced in the East Los Angeles interchange, where "Route 5" (e.g. I-5) abruptly stops where the ramps from SB 5/WB 10 cross the original Santa Ana Freeway (US 101) alignment underneath; that original alignment SE of that point is "5"; that point indicates the southern terminus of US 101; milepost signage begins there.  The ramps to the Santa Monica (westward I-10) freeway are part of "Route 10", while the ramps actually carrying the continuous traffic for I-5 are simply auxiliary ramps of Route 5. 

If the same applies to TN, then the actual "shift" point is where the exact median of the N-S facility intersects the same for the E-W freeway, the ramp system notwithstanding.

triplemultiplex

I can illustrate this more precisely for this junction in TN using some shapefiles I have access to:

The magenta lines are the official paths of I-55 and I-240 in the "postitive" or "increasing mile-marker" direction.
The blue lines are what TNDOT considers ramps.  So you can see how the official route, according to TNDOT, makes that abrupt turn that is not physically possible while the path that traffic actually takes is a separate ramp route.

This is in contrast to the eastern I-40/I-240 junction where, because the mainline of I-40 doesn't exit itself anymore, the ramps following 40 through the interchange are not considered ramps:

(The ramps will all appear to start/end short because TNDOT considers the ramp to end at the physical gore.  The painted gore and accel/decel zone is considered part of whatever route the ramp is merging onto.)

Brian556

Brian556

Tom958

The new interchange at I-65 and relocated TN 109 is now open. Google Maps routes travelers along the old route because it's shorter in distance and presumably in time.
https://www.theportlandsun.com/news/new-i--interchange-opens-in-portland/article_7813516e-1b80-11ea-9e97-bf7a1a923944.html

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Tom958 on December 11, 2019, 06:07:26 AM
The new interchange at I-65 and relocated TN 109 is now open. Google Maps routes travelers along the old route because it's shorter in distance and presumably in time.
https://www.theportlandsun.com/news/new-i--interchange-opens-in-portland/article_7813516e-1b80-11ea-9e97-bf7a1a923944.html

'Bout time!  That seemed to take forever.

I-39

With the I-65/Buckner Road interchange set to be built within the next few years, this made me wonder if TDOT will expedite plans to widen I-65 from I-840 to Saturn Parkway.

While there are long range plans to do so, there are no immediate plans as of right now, which is honestly surprising. Traffic is already horrendous along this stretch and will only get worse if they build that mixed used development off the future I-65/Buckner Road interchange. It would essentially create a mini Cool Springs on the north side of Spring Hill.

I'm thinking the eight lane section of I-65 north of I-840 ought to be extended to Saturn Parkway.

Buck87

Quote from: bigdave on May 31, 2018, 08:56:17 AM
Looks like TnDOT has been out raising a few speed limits. The speed limit on I-75 approaching Knoxville from the South no longer drops to 65 for the last 14-16 miles South of the merge with I-40. It stays at 70, and then drops to 65 on I-75N/I-40E after the merge. Going South, it goes back up to 70 mph after the split when you are back on I-75 South.

That's great to hear! That 65 section was a really annoying speed limit that made no sense.

On that topic, any news on the way too long 55 mph section of I-75 approaching Knoxville from the north? 

Buck87

^ the answer to that is no, it still drops to 55 right at the Knox County line despite no real change in the road quality. I set my cruise at 65 and was getting passed by 75% of the traffic.

On the plus side, the 75/640 and 75/40 concurrencies have both been bumped up to 65 from 55.

VS988

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.