News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Norway: E39 Rogfast sub-sea road-tunnel

Started by cpzilliacus, October 04, 2012, 12:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

E39 Rogfast sub-sea road-tunnel

E39 Rogfast is the name given to a possible crossing of Boknafjorden and Kvitsøyfjorden north of Stavanger in the southwestern part of Norway with a sub-sea road-tunnel.

The tunnel starts in Harestad in Randaberg and ends at Arsvågen in Bokn. The tunnels length will be approximately 25,5 km. In addition to the main tunnel there will be an arm up to Kvitsøy with a length of approximately 4 km. E39 Rogfast will be the world's longest sub-sea road-tunnel. It will also be the deepest sub-sea road-tunnel in the world, the deepest point is approximately 385 m beneath the sea level.

E39 from Stavanger and further north is the main trunkway in the western part of Norway. E39 Rogfast will be a fast and ferryless connection between the two cities Stavanger and Haugesund, and it will also shorten down the travel time between Stavanger and Norways 2nd largest city, Bergen.

We have now started the planning of this project to see whether it is feasible, technical and financial, to develop it. When the plans are ready at the end of 2013 the project will be evaluated. If the results are positive it will be possible to start construction in approximately 2015.

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

agentsteel53

this map appears not to be available in English:

for those wondering - Kyststamvegen is the name for E39, Rogfast is the new tunnel, and T-forbindelsen is a project consisting of various bridges and tunnels which is set to open in 2013.

("Stam- og riksveger" is approximately trunk route, or other national highway, and a "ferjer" is a ferry.)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Chris

It will also be the longest road tunnel overall, the record of which is already in Norway with the 24.5 kilometer Lærdal Tunnel.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 04, 2012, 01:25:03 PM
this map appears not to be available in English:

for those wondering - Kyststamvegen is the name for E39, Rogfast is the new tunnel, and T-forbindelsen is a project consisting of various bridges and tunnels which is set to open in 2013.

("Stam- og riksveger" is approximately trunk route, or other national highway, and a "ferjer" is a ferry.)

You did very well!  I speak Swedish and understand written and spoken Norwegian pretty well (I can read Danish, but have a very hard time comprehending spoken Danish).

TEGENFORKLARING - Key or legend
Kyststamvegen - Coastal primary highway (or, as you correctly called it, E39)
T-forbindelsen - Tunnel connection or link (a separate system of tunnels linking Karmøy and Fosen to highway E39 north of the proposed Rogfast crossing)

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Chris on October 04, 2012, 02:23:40 PM
It will also be the longest road tunnel overall, the record of which is already in Norway with the 24.5 kilometer Lærdal Tunnel.

Chris, when I hear or read anti-highway groups and activists in the U.S. claim "it can't be built," I intend to remind them of the many projects in other parts of the world that "couldn't be built" ... but were anyway. 

agentsteel53

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 04, 2012, 03:05:57 PM
You did very well!  I speak Swedish and understand written and spoken Norwegian pretty well (I can read Danish, but have a very hard time comprehending spoken Danish).

Google.  My knowledge of Scandinavian languages is very limited past the obvious cognates to English.  occasionally, my not-too-good knowledge of German helps guess some obvious cognates to that language.

now that I look at it, "Kyststamvegen" is indeed coast-stem-way, or Coast Trunk Route.  Had not noticed that before. 

how's your Icelandic, btw?  I had a bit more trouble understanding the signs in that country than I did in Norway and Sweden, but it still wasn't too bad.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

cpzilliacus

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 04, 2012, 03:27:24 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 04, 2012, 03:05:57 PM

Google.  My knowledge of Scandinavian languages is very limited past the obvious cognates to English.  occasionally, my not-too-good knowledge of German helps guess some obvious cognates to that language.

The Scandinavian languages are related to German, of course, but are definitely not German.

now that I look at it, "Kyststamvegen" is indeed coast-stem-way, or Coast Trunk Route.  Had not noticed that before.

In Swedish, it would be written as "Kuststamvägen," which is not that different from Norwegian.

how's your Icelandic, btw?  I had a bit more trouble understanding the signs in that country than I did in Norway and Sweden, but it still wasn't too bad.

Inoperable.  ;-)

Though I can understand a few words, just like you.

I probably would do better in Finnish (a Finno-Ugric tongue totally unrelated to Swedish (except the character set)) than Icelandic.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.