News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Traffic lights on roads with high speed limits

Started by webny99, January 17, 2018, 08:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Quote from: froggie on May 27, 2019, 09:42:19 AM
^ The one signal on US 209 between PA 33 and I-80 is in a 55 zone.

Regarding the earlier point, Virginia will often (but not always) lower the speed limit on a 4-lane highway through a signal.  That said, there are a number of examples of keeping it at 55 along US 13 on the Eastern Shore.
You have not been to Texas yet.  They will post roads the same on two lanes as for freeways thus resulting in even higher than 55 mph speed zones through at grade signalized intersection.

55 being high is nothing unusual except for the Northeast and particularly CT and VT where only freeways (I-89 and 91 to be specific) have a speed limit higher than 50.  In fact the jury is out on the former as I do not think non freeways in CT go above 45.  US 7 from MA to Norwalk only had 55 on the freeway parts and most of it was 40 even in rural NW CT.

In Florida I have seen as high as 60 through signals as generally 65 is kept in non signalized rural stretches, though in the 90's Cypress Gardens Blvd. in Winter Haven was 65 with heavy sprawl on both sides and signals at some driveways specifically State Farm Insurance Headquarters.  Now FDOT lowered it to 45 and not even 55 is allowed.  US 27 is another one that went from 65 to  45 when the road widened and several new lights all went up in the late 2000's as part of Lake and Polk with their development boom.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

froggie

Quote from: roadman65You have not been to Texas yet.

Actually yes I have.  A number of times.  Whether I'd been to Texas or not is not relevant to my comment or who I was replying to.

You are also very incorrect in saying that "only freeways have a speed limit higher than 50" in Vermont.  A number of non-freeway roadways in Vermont have a 55 limit.  One of them (US 7 south of Rutland) even has two traffic signals in the 55 zone.

Roadsguy

Quote from: roadman65 on May 27, 2019, 10:06:01 AM
In fact the jury is out on the former as I do not think non freeways in CT go above 45.

I recall seeing a post somewhere about one surface road in CT with a 55 mph limit, including a Street View link, but I can't remember which one it was or if it was four lanes divided or just two lanes undivided.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

1995hoo

^ The one signal on US 209 between PA 33 and I-80 is in a 55 zone.

Regarding the earlier point, Virginia will often (but not always) lower the speed limit on a 4-lane highway through a signal.  That said, there are a number of examples of keeping it at 55 along US 13 on the Eastern Shore.

I can think of some places on US-29 where it remains 60 mph through signals. Two examples that come to mind (not meant to be an exhaustive list!) are the intersection with VA-28 and just south of there at Route 651 at the light where that small parking lot is. But then, much further south on Route 29, you have the example at the light at Tightsqueeze where it drops from 60 to 45 through the light and the immediate surrounding area; same thing also happens further north at the light at Lovingston outside McDonald's.

I suspect part of it (not the only consideration, but surely a relevant one) may have to do with whether there are businesses or residences or other such things resulting in more access points around the traffic light. The first two examples I just gave don't have much other access to either side of the light, whereas Tightsqueeze and Lovingston have a fair number of businesses, Tightsqueeze has at least one church with access from Route 29, etc.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

Quote from: froggie on May 27, 2019, 10:34:15 AM
Quote from: roadman65You have not been to Texas yet.
Actually yes I have.  A number of times.  Whether I'd been to Texas or not is not relevant to my comment or who I was replying to.

It wasn't relevant to anything in this thread at all. So totally random that it was amusing.

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 27, 2019, 05:19:49 PM
I suspect part of it (not the only consideration, but surely a relevant one) may have to do with whether there are businesses or residences or other such things resulting in more access points around the traffic light. The first two examples I just gave don't have much other access to either side of the light

I would say undivided highways are the ones that warrant a reduced limit. If all cross traffic must pass through a stoplight, I don't see an issue with 55 or even 60. But when you start getting people turning left out of (and into) businesses and unsignalized side streets, a lower limit is in order.

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on May 27, 2019, 10:06:01 AM
You have not been to Texas yet.  They will post roads the same on two lanes as for freeways thus resulting in even higher than 55 mph speed zones through at grade signalized intersection.

Which ones are those?

We've already discussed Texas on this thread and had a hard time coming up with any instances of stoplights along a stretch signed above 55 mph.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MarkF

Here's street view of a 60mph stretch, the south end of Antonio Pkwy near San Juan Capistrano, CA.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.5209208,-117.6198596,3a,75y,349.03h,106.72t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4y5MVOkZpR0ZcbSNN_nH8Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

When the CA76 expressway in Oceanside first opened, it was posted for 65, but that only lasted a few months.

RoadMaster09

Quote from: jakeroot on May 26, 2019, 01:41:56 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on March 03, 2018, 04:44:07 PM
Quote from: roadfro on March 03, 2018, 01:46:50 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on March 01, 2018, 10:06:41 PM
^^
I'm not sure I've ever seen an arterial posted at 60 before. 45 and 50, sure. Maybe even 55. But not 60. I'm not even sure Texas does that.

60mph arterial and it has a bike lane? I've definitely never seen that either (50 with a bike lane I have seen: McCarran Blvd in Reno).

A tell-tale sign that a committee was involved in the design process, but not the speed limit selection.

IIRC, speed limits in California aren't necessarily enforceable if the limit is posted below the design speed. Could be that Irvine Blvd was designed for 60 mph, and they decided just to post the design speed as the limit until they know otherwise.
Quote from: Tarkus on March 04, 2018, 04:49:59 AM
The 60mph zone on Irvine Blvd was actually the result of an engineering review, based on the 85th percentile speeds.  65mph is the default, apparently, and while I don't actually see any signs on the stretch indicating that fact on Street View, apparently, there still is a bit of a 65mph zone on part of it, per this 2017 ordinance file from the city, which appears to be the most up-to-date set I can find.  The actual 85th-percentile speeds look to be 58 both WB and EB at the part north of Pusan, and the part south (that's apparently still a 65) had 64mph EB/66mph WB.  The 60 zone on Alton was the result of an 85th-percentile speed of 64mph.

Sorry to quote this ancient post.

I did a bit of digging. Irvine Blvd was posted at 65(!!) as recently as 2013, according to that survey you linked to, however, I can only find Street View evidence as recently as 2011. Judging by this Street View image from 2015, the limit was reduced prior to Irvine being upgraded with a median. Note that the "65" has been bagged.

This has to have been the highest posted arterial, ever.

Interesting, that seems overkill for an arterial like that. I'd have probably posted it at 55, although a case for 50 could be made.

kphoger

Quote from: US 89 on June 14, 2018, 10:47:27 AM

Quote from: Duke87 on March 05, 2018, 12:24:23 AM

Quote from: kphoger on January 22, 2018, 01:50:18 PM

Quote from: bassoon1986 on January 20, 2018, 06:24:00 PM
Texas ... I'm sure there many areas that would have 70 and 75 mph and stoplights.

I haven't run across any.

Yeah, neither have I. While Texas is not shy about posting two lane roads at 70 or 75, they are also not shy about dropping the speed limit lower when safety concerns warrant it.

Also, these two-lane roads posted at 70-75 are all in rural areas, and Texas tends not to install traffic signals in rural areas. Any rural intersection that warrants more than a stop sign usually becomes an interchange.

Here's a signal at US 84 and TX 388 in Shallowater, TX. It appears the speed limit on US 84 is 75 mph, at least in the westbound direction.

Cross-posting from another thread:

Quote from: bwana39 on May 04, 2020, 10:15:28 PM
there are indeed some rural intersections with traffic signals on roads posted at 75 MPH. Lots of warning in advance too.
https://goo.gl/maps/1HYWnoVdeJDfutag8
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on May 05, 2020, 12:03:03 PM
Cross-posting from another thread:

Quote from: bwana39 on May 04, 2020, 10:15:28 PM
there are indeed some rural intersections with traffic signals on roads posted at 75 MPH. Lots of warning in advance too.
https://goo.gl/maps/1HYWnoVdeJDfutag8

The signs leaving the intersection from both directions have "70" posted. Still, that's impressive for a five-lane road with a two-way left turn lane and permissive lefts. I assume most states would tap out at 60 or 65 for similar roads.

NWI_Irish96

The non-freeway portion of US 31 between Kokomo and Peru has a few stoplights (for a while yet) and is 60mph.  This is the highest possible in Indiana as only freeways are 65 or 70 mph.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

deathtopumpkins

My experience living in Hampton Roads was the opposite - VDOT and even local cities very rarely dropped the limit below 55 through a signal.

Just off the top of my head (and confirming my memory via streetview), VA 134, US 17 (Gloucester, York, IOW), Hampton Roads Center Pkwy, LaSalle Ave, VA 171, VA 199, US 258 (Smithfield), Dam Neck Rd, Oceana Blvd, US 13 (Northampton Blvd) are all posted at 55 through signals.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

sprjus4

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on May 06, 2020, 10:43:24 AM

My experience living in Hampton Roads was the opposite - VDOT and even local cities very rarely dropped the limit below 55 through a signal.

Just off the top of my head (and confirming my memory via streetview), VA 134, US 17 (Gloucester, York, IOW), Hampton Roads Center Pkwy, LaSalle Ave, VA 171, VA 199, US 258 (Smithfield), Dam Neck Rd, Oceana Blvd, US 13 (Northampton Blvd) are all posted at 55 through signals.
VA-168 remains at 55 mph through two traffic signals in southern Chesapeake near the NC State Line.

US-17, however, drops to 45 mph through two traffic signals south of VA-165.

IMO, if one route should drop to 45 mph, it should be VA-168 since it's a narrower alignment with a decent amount of curvature. US-17 has a wide right of way, wide median, and is a straight line to the point you can easily a mile ahead without obstruction. Reasonably though, both should remain 55 mph.

Before 2012, this segment of Business VA-168 used to be posted at 55 mph through this developed area, though was lowered to 50 mph and then to 45 mph around 2016 in a failed effort by the city to try to attract more traffic to the toll road by lowering the speed limit on most of Business VA-168 instead of increasing the speed limit to 65 mph on VA-168 as originally proposed.

London Bridge Rd in Virginia Beach also has 55 mph posted through at least one signal.

IIRC, there's a few examples in the state where 60 mph is maintained through at least one signal, not sure about multiple in a short period.

ari-s-drives

There's a suburban industrial connector between Pleasanton and Livermore, CA called Stanley Boulevard which has a 55mph speed limit and has traffic lights for quarry access and for access to a regional park.

milbfan

Quote from: bassoon1986 on January 20, 2018, 06:24:00 PM
There are PLENTY of these across Texas. A stretch I remember is US 380 between Denton and McKinney. Long sections of 65 mph and can get very congested with 6 lanes of traffic and built up subdivisions.

iPhone

Add insult to injury: some of those traffic lights (maybe it's Prosper?) had camera-enforced lights.  About the only damn thing that governor ever did that had any sense was killing the camera-enforced lights.

Also: US 280 south of 459 is traffic light hell and has a speed limit of 55.

Roadwarriors79

A few examples in Arizona:

Southeast of Prescott Valley, AZ 69 has a speed limit of 55 (then 65) and traffic lights.

US 60 (Grand Ave) has 50 and 55 areas NW of Thunderbird Rd. Also going through Gold Canyon, the limit is 55.

RobbieL2415

Has someone already mentioned I-790s old temporary lights for the New York State Fair?  That's at 55.

vdeane

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on May 26, 2020, 12:40:40 AM
Has someone already mentioned I-790s old temporary lights for the New York State Fair?  That's at 55.
I wasn't aware the Fair moved to Utica, so no.  Back when the Fair was in Syracuse, I-690 had a light that went up during the Fair.  The normal speed limit there is 65, but it was lowered to 55 during the Fair at least once.

Now they're building a flyover, so we won't be seeing it again.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

55 through a light in New York isn't notable. I can't think of a single place in the state that will lower the speed limit for a light unless there's a settlement around the light. Definitely several dozen cases, if not hundreds, in the state.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

1995hoo

Quote from: cl94 on May 26, 2020, 01:21:43 PM
55 through a light in New York isn't notable. I can't think of a single place in the state that will lower the speed limit for a light unless there's a settlement around the light. Definitely several dozen cases, if not hundreds, in the state.

The OP seemed to think otherwise when he started this thread.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cl94

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 26, 2020, 01:34:44 PM

Let's see how many of these I can come up with, because I'm curious now...

Albany County (10):
- US 9 at NY 9R and Fonda Rd (2)
- NY 32 at Kenwood Ave, Bender Ln, NY 335, Murray Ave, Elm Ave (5)
- US 9W at NY 396
- US 20 at NY 158 and NY 397 (2)

Saratoga County (21):
- US 9 at Crescent Rd, Kinns Rd, Ushers Rd, George Ave, NY 9P, Malta Ave, Old Post Rd, Saratoga Spa SP South Entrance, Ballard Rd (9)
- NY 29 at Fish House Rd, NY 147, and Rowland St (3)
- NY 50 at Charlton Rd, Saratoga Spa SP x2, Ballard Rd (4)
- NY 67 at NY 147 and Middleline Rd (2)
- Ballard Road at Traver Rd and I-87 x2 (3)

That's just 2 counties and it's quite likely that I missed a few in each. Without even thinking about it, I know Erie County has at least a dozen lights on 55 roads, likely closer to or above 2 dozen.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

jakeroot

Quote from: cl94 on May 26, 2020, 02:31:17 PM

[clipped]

Do you know, roughly, how many of those use permissive left turns? Random question, I know, but some places do have rules about not having them above certain speed limits.

On my last visit upstate, I seem to recall few intersections using protected only turns.

cl94

Quote from: jakeroot on May 26, 2020, 02:56:21 PM
Do you know, roughly, how many of those use permissive left turns? Random question, I know, but some places do have rules about not having them above certain speed limits.

On my last visit upstate, I seem to recall few intersections using protected only turns.

The NY 32 examples are protected-only. Most of the others have permissive-only or protected-permissive on at least one 55 approach. Several examples are on 2-lane roads, where you will generally not find protected-only signals in this state. We're not like New Hampshire, where all left turns must be protected.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jakeroot on May 26, 2020, 02:56:21 PM
Quote from: cl94 on May 26, 2020, 02:31:17 PM

[clipped]

"Permissive light or Protected light in a 55 zone?  How about neither, and we're not even going to give you a left turn lane." - NJDOT.

NJ 72 at CR 539: https://goo.gl/maps/peVJcjDT1WpS2YWy8
NJ 70 at CR 2: https://goo.gl/maps/eFUmnHufUFuwCkD2A

cl94

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 26, 2020, 05:03:54 PM
"Permissive light or Protected light in a 55 zone?  How about neither, and we're not even going to give you a left turn lane." - NJDOT.

NJ 72 at CR 539: https://goo.gl/maps/peVJcjDT1WpS2YWy8
NJ 70 at CR 2: https://goo.gl/maps/eFUmnHufUFuwCkD2A

That's the rural normal in NY. Not even worth giving examples because there are so many. You're lucky to get a turn lane.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.