Cannabis dispensaries named after roads

Started by bugo, December 30, 2018, 11:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

If you have been living underneath a rock for the last 6 months, Oklahoma just legalized medicinal marijuana in June. The state question that passed by a margin of 57%-43% required the program to be put in place very quickly and as of the end of the year, there are dispensaries everywhere. It's been insane. This is an exciting time to live in Oklahoma. After the question was approved, the state legislature tried to gut the law but the voters and cannabis activists stood up to the state and told them that that wasn't the way they were going to do things and surprisingly, the state backed down and the program that was put in place that respects the will of the voters. It's not just a medicinal marijuana program, but it is one of the 2 or 3 best programs in the country and the best program in a state that hasn't legalized medicinal cannabis. I feel bad for the voters of Utah. They voted to legalize medicinal marijuana but the Mormon Church complained to the government and bitched and whined and moaned and the legislature severely crippled the program, making it virtually useless. Oklahoma stood up for itself. What if Utah had?

There are more dispensaries than Quik Trips in Tulsa. They are everywhere. Some are already open and some are opening soon. The dispensaries have a wide variety of names and their marketing strategies are diverse. At least two dispensaries are named after highways. There is a dispensary called Route 66 Clones and Cannabis on 11th Street in Tulsa which was US 66 from 1932-1959 and another in Okmulgee called Beeline Buzz. Beeline Buzz is named after the Okmulgee Beeline which is the US 75 expressway between Tulsa and Okmulgee. The Okmulgee Beeline was originally US 169 north of OK 67 (yes, a US highway ended at a state highway) and OK 138 south of Glenpool. US 75 was quickly rerouted to the new expressway leaving Alt US 75 behind and US 169 was dropped. 169 ended at the I-44/US 75 interchange for years. It is unknown whether US 75 and 169 were signed on the Beeline at the same time. It was called a beeline because it was a straight shot between Tulsa and Okmulgee as opposed to the old routing through Sapulpa and Kiefer.

Are there any other dispensaries named after roads?

bandit957

Might as well face it, pooing is cool

bugo

Quote from: bandit957 on December 30, 2018, 11:33:19 PM
We need to allow this in Kentucky.

It should be an allowed cloud everywhere in the world.

bandit957

Quote from: bugo on December 30, 2018, 11:36:18 PM
It should be an allowed cloud everywhere in the world.

Unfortunately, there's always a few whiners out there who try to stop it from happening.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

nexus73

In an unincorporated urban section just south of the Coos Bay OR city limits on US 101,  Way High 101 peddles its pot.  The neighboring city of North Bend OR has Coastal High Ways but it is not on US 101.  SR 540, the route to Charleston and the trio of state parks along the ocean, gets honored by the purveyor of puffing material.

Go to the border of OR/CA on US 101 and you will see Stateline Cannabis on the OR side.  What makes this funny is that in past years, Oregonians would cross the border to get their liquor at the First/Last Chance Liquor Store since their prices were better than the OLCC stores in Oregon.  What comes around gets turned around...LOL!  By the way, that liquor store is now closed AFAIK.

In the CB-NB area you can get an ounce of MJ for as low as $60 according to an ad I recently read. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

kphoger

Quote from: bugo on December 30, 2018, 11:28:54 PM
If you have been living underneath a rock for the last 6 months don't live in Oklahoma and don't follow the state politics of a place you don't live, Oklahoma just legalized medicinal marijuana in June.

FTFY.   :awesomeface:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Buck87

Would be funny if one was built on and themed to a route or road numbred 420

(perhaps it's already been done)

kphoger

Quote from: Buck87 on December 31, 2018, 02:42:26 PM

The closest thing I can find is 420 Main Dispensary in Muskogee, but that's the address rather than a route number.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

I presume a prescription from a licensed doctor is required to purchase weed at these dispensaries?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on December 31, 2018, 02:53:31 PM
I presume a prescription from a licensed doctor is required to purchase weed at these dispensaries?

But crayon on notebook paper is sufficient.
Male pronouns, please.

Buck87

Quote from: kphoger on December 31, 2018, 02:47:42 PM

The closest thing I can find is 420 Main Dispensary in Muskogee, but that's the address rather than a route number.

I thought they don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee  :D

kphoger

Quote from: Buck87 on December 31, 2018, 03:32:21 PM

Quote from: kphoger on December 31, 2018, 02:47:42 PM

I thought they don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee  :D

Apparently, the song lyrics don't qualify as binding legislation.
Male pronouns, please.

hbelkins

Quote from: kphoger on December 31, 2018, 03:02:37 PM

If this is supposed to be medicine, why do there need to be dispensaries separate from pharmacies? Seems to me that if a doctor's prescription is required, the appropriate place to get that prescription filled would be the place where you get all other prescriptions filled.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on December 31, 2018, 03:37:55 PM
If this is supposed to be medicine, why do there need to be dispensaries separate from pharmacies? Seems to me that if a doctor's prescription is required, the appropriate place to get that prescription filled would be the place where you get all other prescriptions filled.

I assume it has something to do with the fact that marijuana is neither FDA-approved nor legal under federal law.
Male pronouns, please.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on December 31, 2018, 03:43:42 PM

I assume it has something to do with the fact that marijuana is neither FDA-approved nor legal under federal law.
It could also be that the pharmacies don't want to touch medical marijuana with a 10-foot pole.

The only state I'm aware of where the prescription is a mere formality is California prior to full legalization. Most states only offer it as treatment for a limited number of ailments, and just because you have the ailment doesn't mean your doctor is interested in writing the prescription (this is how it was for my FIL when he lived in Michigan).

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 31, 2018, 04:02:45 PM
It could also be that the pharmacies don't want to touch medical marijuana with a 10-foot pole.

I'm sure they don't want to touch any non-FDA-approved drug with a 10-foot pole.
Male pronouns, please.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on December 31, 2018, 04:08:31 PM

I'm sure they don't want to touch any non-FDA-approved drug with a 10-foot pole.
I mean I'm sure I've seen some of that herbal "the statements made have not been evaluated by the FDA"  crap they sell in infomercials for sale in drugstores, but it's not nearly as controversial as marijuana.

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 31, 2018, 04:31:42 PM

I mean I'm sure I've seen some of that herbal "the statements made have not been evaluated by the FDA"  crap they sell in infomercials for sale in drugstores, but it's not nearly as controversial as marijuana.

The FDA still regulates herbal supplements and can pull them from drugstore shelves if they determine the products are unsafe.  I'm not so sure that's true when it comes to marijuana (though I could be wrong about that).
Male pronouns, please.

Kacie Jane

There was a dispensary named "Highway 7" on Pacific Avenue (SR 7) in Tacoma until very recently, but they moved around the corner onto 72nd and changed their name to something non-road related.

bugo

A doctor's recommendation is required to obtain a medical marijuana license. A license is required to purchase medical marijuana products from a dispensary. You can't even get into the dispensary itself without a license. Contrary to what  some have complained, this is not recreational. This is a medical program. Legalization is a wonderful thing to happen to the state because medical marijuana treats dozens of ailments better than anything else. Cannabis is an extremely safe form of medicine and is quite effective while producing few side effects.

Medical marijuana is a non-partisan issue in Oklahoma and is quite popular among Democrats and Republicans alike. These aren't your stereotypical stoners. They have jobs and lives. There are medical marijuana patients from every walk in life. I've smoked with doctors, lawyers, nurses, teachers, corporate bigwigs and police officers. They are not criminals. They don't use marijuana to get high. They use it because it is safe and effective. A lot of older conservative rural types are trying cannabis for the first time and finding that it works and works well. They get angry when they were lied to all those years. You, H.B., have also been lied to. Hopefully one day you will accept the fact that cannabis is medicine. Would you rather a person be addicted to opiates or to be a responsible user of medical cannabis? I don't understand why you are so gung ho against it.

bugo

Quote from: kphoger on December 31, 2018, 03:02:37 PM

In Oklahoma, to get a medical marijuana license, you have to have a "recommendation" and not a "prescription". I'd rather talk to a knowledgeable budtender than a know-nothing pharmacist.

Duke87

Quote from: kphoger on December 31, 2018, 03:43:42 PM

That's exactly it. No doctor in any state is allowed to write a prescription for any drug that is not FDA approved, nor are pharmacies allowed to distribute drugs that are not FDA approved.

So the workaround is that doctors do not write prescriptions for cannabis - they simply certify that the patient has a condition warranting its use, which said patient then can then use to purchase as much as they deem fit within the state-established limit, of whatever variety they deem fit, from a dedicated state-licensed dispensary.

Federal law about cannabis would need to be changed in order for it to be prescribed and distributed like normal medication.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

kphoger

Quote from: bugo on December 31, 2018, 06:42:13 PM
Would you rather a person be addicted to opiates or to be a responsible user of medical cannabis?

This is exactly the argument I just heard on Christmas from my mother-in-law's boyfriend.  He has opiate pain-killers in the house but doesn't like to take them and puts off doing so for as long as he can, because he fears becoming addicted to them.  But, if smoking some marijuana could help alleviate pain in a similar way, he'd rather do that.

Quote from: kphoger on December 31, 2018, 04:44:13 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on December 31, 2018, 04:31:42 PM
It could also be that the pharmacies don’t want to touch medical marijuana with a 10-foot pole.

I mean I’m sure I’ve seen some of that herbal “the statements made have not been evaluated by the FDA” crap they sell in infomercials for sale in drugstores, but it’s not nearly as controversial as marijuana.

The FDA still regulates herbal supplements and can pull them from drugstore shelves if they determine the products are unsafe.  I'm not so sure that's true when it comes to marijuana (though I could be wrong about that).

I forgot to point out that, even though drugstores do carry herbal supplements, they do not carry them as "medicine" any more than they carry chocolate bars, iced tea, and loose-leaf tobacco as "medicine".  In order for them to dispense medicine, it must be FDA-approved, but that is not true for other categories of merchandise.
Male pronouns, please.

bugo

Now there is a strain called "Highway 412" which is sure to give certain road guys indigestion. There's also a CBD hemp strain called "Hwy 77".

Joe The Dragon

there is an cultivator of medical cannabis on Greenleaf Avenue.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.