News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Steepest streets in the World

Started by bing101, June 03, 2019, 04:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

bing101

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/62907-steepest-street-road

Baldwin Street in Dunedin, New Zealand has been listed as the most steepest street in the world.

TheHighwayMan3561

There's a section of 5th Avenue W in Duluth between 4th St and 6th St that has a 26% grade. It's steep enough to need handrails along the sidewalk.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Max Rockatansky

^^^

Duluth in general has a ton of steep roads.  Other US Cities with frequent steep roads that come to mind off the top of my head include; Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles and Pittsburgh. 

As far as steepest goes, it really depends on what definition you're using.  Take away the 10 meter requirement and the list varies greatly:

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/steepest-streets-in-the-world.html

vdeane

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on June 03, 2019, 04:43:14 PM
There's a section of 5th Avenue W in Duluth between 4th St and 6th St that has a 26% grade. It's steep enough to need handrails along the sidewalk.
Meanwhile, the New Zealand example is steep enough to replace the sidewalk with stairs.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: vdeane on June 03, 2019, 09:08:05 PM
Meanwhile, the New Zealand example is steep enough to replace the sidewalk with stairs.

That's not too uncommon for any grade 20% plus.  Even Lombard Street in San Francisco has stairs in place of a sidewalk now.  In that particular case the curved lower the incline from 27% to 17%. 

D-Dey65

Oh, you know I want to bring up Adirondack Drive between Farmingville and Selden, New York, even if that doesn't qualify.

kphoger

Probably the steepest street I've personally used is this one in Parras, Coahuila.  I don't know the grade, but I'm certain it would have stairs if they ever built a sidewalk next to it.  Several years ago, there was a 15-year-old boy who decided to drive his dad's pickup truck down the street, the brakes gave out, and he ran into a metal gate at the bottom of the hill.  Somehow, he ended up OK.  It's possible I've only walked up this street, but it's also possible I've driven up or down it once.

Perhaps just as steep was Mountain Street in Eureka Springs, Arkansas (signed 'LOCAL TRAFFIC ONLY' at the bottom).  I peeled rubber by simply driving up the hill.  Probably should have used 4WD but didn't think of it ahead of time.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

wphiii

Canton Avenue in Pittsburgh claims a 37% grade which would make it the steepest in the world, but who knows what kind of yinzer math they're using since Guinness doesn't recognize it.

1995hoo

Quote from: wphiii on June 04, 2019, 01:07:37 AM
Canton Avenue in Pittsburgh claims a 37% grade which would make it the steepest in the world, but who knows what kind of yinzer math they're using since Guinness doesn't recognize it.

My brother attempted to ride a bike up that hill. I don't believe he made it all the way.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Kulerage

Waipio Valley Road in Hawaii might be the steepest road in the USA.

1995hoo

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 04, 2019, 09:57:17 AM

My brother attempted to ride a bike up that hill. I don't believe he made it all the way.

I asked him about it and he replied as follows:

QuoteNo. Made it 2/3 of the way on my best attempt. I had the legs and wind for it, but the balance is just as, or even more, tough. I got slightly off-balance each time and the back wheel would spin out on the grass growing between the cobblestones. Brutal challenge. Only one guy in our group made it.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

thspfc

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 04, 2019, 04:41:24 PM

QuoteNo. Made it 2/3 of the way on my best attempt. I had the legs and wind for it, but the balance is just as, or even more, tough. I got slightly off-balance each time and the back wheel would spin out on the grass growing between the cobblestones. Brutal challenge. Only one guy in our group made it.
I can imagine trying to balance while going that slow and working that hard, must be difficult. Why is it cobblestone anyway?

SectorZ

Quote from: thspfc on June 04, 2019, 05:05:40 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on June 04, 2019, 04:41:24 PM

I can imagine trying to balance while going that slow and working that hard, must be difficult. Why is it cobblestone anyway?

A few times, I rode up Granite St in Fitchburg MA when I lived there. 25% grade, and probably about 60' of vertical climbing. That climb, once you got going on, you just had to find the easiest gear and sprint like hell until you got to the top.

SSR_317

Quote from: webny99 on June 03, 2019, 09:11:18 PM
Quotemost steepest

Choice! :sombrero:
That's like the height of epitome, man.  :bigass:

Mrt90

A view from the top from Google streetview.

https://www.google.com/maps/@46.7862321,-92.1109255,3a,90y,127.39h,67.95t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swez8BJ91YcP6x5dRicLUHg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

During college I walked up and down Bascom Hill in Madison, WI many times--- I believe Bascom is just under a 10% grade and that climb is a little tough even for an 18 years old.  I can only imagine how much more difficult walking up this street would be if it's 26%.

Chris

This is the steepest road I've ever driven - and I wasn't aware it was this steep as the sign was only installed in the downhill direction. I first went uphill and became steeper and steeper, eventually going up in 2nd gear and hoping I didn't have to come to a full stop. There was an old Volkswagen van that didn't make it up the hill.

It's near Cassis, France.

D141 Route des Cretes-5 by European Roads, on Flickr

thspfc

Quote from: Mrt90 on June 05, 2019, 01:16:33 PM

A view from the top from Google streetview.

https://www.google.com/maps/@46.7862321,-92.1109255,3a,90y,127.39h,67.95t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swez8BJ91YcP6x5dRicLUHg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

During college I walked up and down Bascom Hill in Madison, WI many times--- I believe Bascom is just under a 10% grade and that climb is a little tough even for an 18 years old.  I can only imagine how much more difficult walking up this street would be if it's 26%.
Is the street in such bad shape because the road maintenance crews are scared of the drop?  :hmmm:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.