News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Uncommon Street Name Suffixes

Started by Alex, July 29, 2009, 01:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: skluth on March 31, 2019, 07:14:46 PM
There is even an Calle El Segundo which means Second Street.

Actually, it means "El Segundo Street," as El Segundo is the name of a city, which in turn was named after a Standard Oil refinery, which in turn was named after its being the second such refinery in that part of the country.

"Second Street" would instead be either "Calle Segundo" or just "Calle Dos".
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: oscar on March 31, 2019, 10:57:18 PM
Quote from: skluth on March 31, 2019, 07:14:46 PM
Other Spanish street names close by include Calle Palo Fierro, Calle Bravo, Via Carisma, Via Lazo, Avenida Granada, and Avenida Palmera. I could go on but again, you get the idea. There is even an Calle El Segundo which means Second Street.

And, to follow up on a few examples upthread, "Alameda" means "tree-lined avenue". It can be used as a complete street name, or "The Alameda" (which really should be "La Alameda", to keep it all in Spanish), or as part of a longer name such as "Alameda Padre Serra" (Father Serra Avenue, even though he is now a saint) in Santa Barbara.

Or, if you're in Norman, we have "Alameda Street"...tree-lined avenue street. Whoops.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

sandwalk

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 13, 2019, 03:09:43 AM
Or, if you're in Norman, we have "Alameda Street"...tree-lined avenue street. Whoops.

We have Alameda Avenue in Denver.  :D

US 89

IMO, one of the worst Spanish road name screwups is in Albuquerque, and it's "Paseo del Norte Blvd". Paseo del Norte by itself means something like "North Drive" or "North Avenue".

This wasn't really an issue until recently, since traditional signage in Albuquerque didn't include street suffixes and most people from there leave them off when speaking. But since around 2010 or so, new street blades have included suffixes, so you get stuff like this.

kphoger

Quote from: US 89 on April 16, 2019, 05:07:54 PM
IMO, one of the worst Spanish road name screwups is in Albuquerque, and it's "Paseo del Norte Blvd". Paseo del Norte by itself means something like "North Drive" or "North Avenue".

This wasn't really an issue until recently, since traditional signage in Albuquerque didn't include street suffixes and most people from there leave them off when speaking. But since around 2010 or so, new street blades have included suffixes, so you get stuff like this.

It happens occasionally in Spanish-speaking countries as well.  Think that sign is a fluke?  Well, here is the official website of a local government office, which lists the address as "Boulevard Paseo Rio Sonora Sur 189".
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

mrsman

Quote from: kphoger on March 31, 2019, 03:26:29 PM
Quote from: 1 on March 30, 2019, 08:26:47 PM

Quote from: kphoger on March 30, 2019, 07:11:04 PM
Calle 16 de Septiembre

What is the point of streets named after days of the year? I know they are everywhere, but I don't know why they exist.

The dates are significant.

16 de Septiembre, for example, is Independence Day in Mexico.  So, instead of the street being called Ca. Independencia, it's called Ca. 16 de Septiembre instead.

Another street nearby is named in commemoration of the Battle of Puebla:  instead of being called Ca. Batalla de Puebla, it's called Ca. 5 de Mayo instead.

Surprisingly there are only a handful of 4th of July Roads out there, and they are all in very small towns.

mrsman

Quote from: kphoger on April 16, 2019, 07:05:23 PM

It happens occasionally in Spanish-speaking countries as well.  Think that sign is a fluke?  Well, here is the official website of a local government office, which lists the address as "Boulevard Paseo Rio Sonora Sur 189".

Even in the US we have that problem in some places:

There is Street Road in the Philadelphia area.

Broadway in NYC (and L.A. and Denver and many other towns) does not need any other suffix.  Yet there is Broadway Ave in Pittsburgh and Broadway Street in Myrtle Beach.

plain

Tarleton Bivouac in James City County, VA

Image from GSV

SM-S820L

Newark born, Richmond bred

TheGrassGuy

If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

TheGrassGuy

kphoger

Terrace is a completely normal generic to me.
Male pronouns, please.

ipeters61

Quote from: mrsman on May 30, 2019, 04:48:44 PM

Broadway in NYC (and L.A. and Denver and many other towns) does not need any other suffix.  Yet there is Broadway Ave in Pittsburgh and Broadway Street in Myrtle Beach.
I read on Wikipedia that actually Street Road's name is one of those archaic holdovers to when "Street" referred to the fact that the road was paved, predating when "street" was synonymous with "road."
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: ipeters61 on November 27, 2019, 02:56:26 PM
Quote from: mrsman on May 30, 2019, 04:48:44 PM

I read on Wikipedia that actually Street Road's name is one of those archaic holdovers to when "Street" referred to the fact that the road was paved, predating when "street" was synonymous with "road."
That would explain why there are like 10 different Street Roads in the Philly area.

There is a Charles Street Avenue in Baltimore:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Charles+St+Ave,+Towson,+MD+21204/@39.4015545,-76.6224599,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x89c80fc88ac0ae91:0xd5efda72018a3888!8m2!3d39.4015504!4d-76.6202712

EDIT: There is also one in Waltham, MA, along with a Prospect Street Avenue!
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Charles+St+Ave,+Waltham,+MA+02453/@42.3732802,-71.2488671,18.08z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x89e38325a83d9637:0x9c1bf389c1de30b!8m2!3d42.3734013!4d-71.2488381

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: plain on May 30, 2019, 10:15:26 PM

Image from GSV

SM-S820L
Nah, it looks to me that the road originally had a suffix, but it somehow got rubbed off over time. It also seems to me that there is a chance that Google Maps might have actually made a mistake, though I can neither confirm nor disprove this without consulting official sources, which I'm not sure how you can find this stuff out.

(Link to Google Maps: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Tarleton+Bivouac,+Roberts,+VA+23185/@37.2137484,-76.618731,15.33z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x89b07d61493aea45:0x1fc2a3ce40d32f54!8m2!3d37.2106014!4d-76.6129841)

plain

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on November 27, 2019, 04:43:58 PM
Quote from: plain on May 30, 2019, 10:15:26 PM

Image from GSV

SM-S820L
Nah, it looks to me that the road originally had a suffix, but it somehow got rubbed off over time. It also seems to me that there is a chance that Google Maps might have actually made a mistake, though I can neither confirm nor disprove this without consulting official sources, which I'm not sure how you can find this stuff out.

(Link to Google Maps: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Tarleton+Bivouac,+Roberts,+VA+23185/@37.2137484,-76.618731,15.33z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x89b07d61493aea45:0x1fc2a3ce40d32f54!8m2!3d37.2106014!4d-76.6129841)

It's always been just Tarleton Bivouac (I have several friends on this loop). The blades were just made that way for some reason.
Newark born, Richmond bred

Techknow

In Gilroy, CA, there is a road parallel to US 101 called "No Name Uno". There's even an hospital on the road with its address on an entrance sign that can be seen from the freeway!

The story behind it is here: https://gilroydispatch.com/2007/06/07/former-worker-says-he-coined-no-name-uno/

Someone in this thread already mentioned Bethany Curve in Santa Cruz, CA. There's also "Arroyo Seco", a residential street that is next to a canyon with the same name.

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: Techknow on November 27, 2019, 10:55:06 PM
In Gilroy, CA, there is a road parallel to US 101 called "No Name Uno". There's even an hospital on the road with its address on an entrance sign that can be seen from the freeway!

The story behind it is here: https://gilroydispatch.com/2007/06/07/former-worker-says-he-coined-no-name-uno/

Someone in this thread already mentioned Bethany Curve in Santa Cruz, CA. There's also "Arroyo Seco", a residential street that is next to a canyon with the same name.
Not a road, but one of the Florida Keys is named "No Name Key". https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Name_Key

TheGrassGuy

bing101

Sacramento, CA has Capitol Mall as a name of a Downtown Street and this has to be one of a rare cases where mall gets used as a street suffix name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitol_Mall

midwesternroadguy

In suburban Dakota County, MN the street naming grid includes suffixes such as "Path" .  Diamond "Path"  is a 4-5 lane thoroughfare with no historical basis for the name.  Seriously?

Nearby Woodbury, MN has suffixes as "Cove" .  Doesn't cove refer to a body of water typically?

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: midwesternroadguy on December 04, 2019, 05:34:07 AM
In suburban Dakota County, MN the street naming grid includes suffixes such as "Path" .  Diamond "Path"  is a 4-5 lane thoroughfare with no historical basis for the name.  Seriously?

Nearby Woodbury, MN has suffixes as "Cove" .  Doesn't cove refer to a body of water typically?

"Path" is not so uncommon. There are six to seven Deer Paths in the area where I grew up.

kphoger

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on December 04, 2019, 07:26:38 AM

Quote from: midwesternroadguy on December 04, 2019, 05:34:07 AM

"Path" is not so uncommon. There are six to seven Deer Paths in the area where I grew up.

"Cove" is also not so uncommon but highly location-dependent.  It's used extensively in Memphis as a generic for culs-de-sac, for example.
Male pronouns, please.

TheGrassGuy

And "Close" seems to be common in Great Britain.

roadman65

Kenilworth, NJ has Via Vitale.
New York City has Grand Concourse and Bowery with no suffix at all.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.