News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

How much are you willing to pay for a watch?

Started by roadman65, May 07, 2023, 10:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MATraveler128

I have a Swiss Army watch. I really don't see the point of Apple Watch since it's basically just an iPhone you wear on your wrist and I already have an iPhone.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

epzik8

I used to be pretty cheap when I did wear them, and it would be no more than $30.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

JayhawkCO

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on May 09, 2023, 10:55:58 AM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 07, 2023, 10:47:17 PM
I have an altimeter watch I use for climbing mountains and backpacking and such. It's not cheap.

Just out of idle curiosity, what watch do you have?

Coros Vertix 2. I used to have a Garmin Instinct, but the Vertix is much nicer looking for day to day wear.

SectorZ

$40 is what I last spent on a watch. I only wear one cycling because it's way too many button presses on my cycle computer to get the time. I feel like anywhere else (car, home) I've got multiple things staring me in the face telling me the time.

abefroman329

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on May 09, 2023, 11:10:32 AMI really don't see the point of Apple Watch since it's basically just an iPhone you wear on your wrist and I already have an iPhone.
It's incredibly useful to have when you get a text or email when you're unable to reach your phone due to the fact that (a) you're holding a sleeping baby or (b) you're riding public transit and can't reach it.  If you don't do either of these things on a regular basis, then there's probably no need for one.

GaryV

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 09, 2023, 01:07:10 PM
Quote from: BlueOutback7 on May 09, 2023, 11:10:32 AMI really don't see the point of Apple Watch since it's basically just an iPhone you wear on your wrist and I already have an iPhone.
It's incredibly useful to have when you get a text or email when you're unable to reach your phone due to the fact that (a) you're holding a sleeping baby or (b) you're riding public transit and can't reach it.  If you don't do either of these things on a regular basis, then there's probably no need for one.
Or (c) you're in a state that doesn't allow you to pick up your smart phone when you're driving, but forgot all about smart watches.

Seriously, in all the news stories I've seen about distracted driving and banning use of phones, I've never seen reference to a watch. Did lawmakers and rule writers forget they existed? Or are they just that far behind the times?

JayhawkCO

Quote from: GaryV on May 09, 2023, 01:10:35 PM
Or (c) you're in a state that doesn't allow you to pick up your smart phone when you're driving, but forgot all about smart watches.

Seriously, in all the news stories I've seen about distracted driving and banning use of phones, I've never seen reference to a watch. Did lawmakers and rule writers forget they existed? Or are they just that far behind the times?

What I see on my watch for a text is no different than what I see using Android Auto on my main display. It's way less distracting than needing to do passwords, fingerprints, etc. to get into the phone.

abefroman329

Quote from: GaryV on May 09, 2023, 01:10:35 PM

It's no more dangerous to check your smartwatch while driving than it is to check your dumbwatch while driving.  And if you're trying to respond to a text on your smartwatch by drawing each individual letter, all while driving, then you're too stupid to live anyway.

J N Winkler

I've found this an interesting thread to read through from the standpoint of economics.

My own answers:

Ordinary wristwatch:  Nothing.  I don't like to wear a watch, and gave up doing so about 20 years ago.  I don't like the feel of one on my wrist, or the fact sweat never dries underneath the bezel and eventually starts to smell.

Keyfob watch:  Also nothing.  I used to have one, but realized I was not willing to pay what it would cost (not just in money, but also in search effort) to procure one that lasts acceptably long with the other pocket litter I carry.

Smartwatch:  Again, nothing.  None of the reported advantages (such as not having to unlock to see notifications) outweigh the loss of insulation from distractions.

Watch as investment good:  It depends on risk and return, taking into account the potential difficulties of liquidation.  For example, I have been told that a Rolex watch is considered far less valuable if it cannot be sold in the original case with the original manufacturer's documentation.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Pete from Boston

I paid $180 for a gently-used Garmin 645. As a distance runner it's pretty standard equipment to have a tracking watch, and this one is a little nicer looking and more compact than some of their lower-end ones. I'm very happy with it. Before I had it I'd pull out my phone to pause, check time, etc., and it was very distracting.

jakeroot

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 09, 2023, 02:04:00 PM
Ordinary wristwatch:  Nothing.  I don't like to wear a watch, and gave up doing so about 20 years ago.  I don't like the feel of one on my wrist, or the fact sweat never dries underneath the bezel and eventually starts to smell.

I've been able to [largely] overcome the sweat issue by reversing the wrist that I wear my watch on. I used to wear my watch exclusively on my left wrist, as I'm primarily right-handed and operation is easier, but I've adapted to using my watch with my left hand on my right wrist. I started doing this quite recently, as I now live in a very hot, humid location where sweat is a normal part of being outside no matter what you're doing.

JayhawkCO

I'm a moderately sweaty guy, but I've never felt like my watch was causing me any extra perspiration outside times of extreme exertion. And when I have that going on, I'm likely to either a) take a shower right after (if I went for a run or hike) or b) not care (if I'm climbing a mountain and fully expect to feel gross and smelly all over, not just on my wrist).

jakeroot

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 09, 2023, 07:49:39 PM
I'm a moderately sweaty guy, but I've never felt like my watch was causing me any extra perspiration outside times of extreme exertion. And when I have that going on, I'm likely to either a) take a shower right after (if I went for a run or hike) or b) not care (if I'm climbing a mountain and fully expect to feel gross and smelly all over, not just on my wrist).

More often than not, when I remove my watch, there is some sweat build-up. Though very minor. This was the case even before I moved to Japan; unfortunately the situation has just been exacerbated since I moved, as it's even more hot and humid here.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 09, 2023, 10:37:35 AM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 09, 2023, 10:34:55 AM
I don't wear jewelry.

I wouldn't define a watch, personally, as jewelry. Jewelry has no function other than fashion. A watch, even the most basic ones, at least does a job.

Anything more elaborate than a plastic Casio digital watch is jewelry then.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kalvado

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 10, 2023, 11:19:28 AM
I don't wear jewelry.

I wouldn't define a watch, personally, as jewelry. Jewelry has no function other than fashion. A watch, even the most basic ones, at least does a job.

As well as anything more elaborate than a bicycle for moving around...
Cheap watches used to last about 1 month on my hand... YMMV though. 

JayhawkCO

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 10, 2023, 11:19:28 AM
I don't wear jewelry.

There are other functions a watch can perform other than just telling time.

ZLoth

Quote from: roadman65 on May 07, 2023, 10:42:09 PMhttps://torgoen.com/products/t18-black-ionic-yellow-carbon-fiber-45mm-stainless-steel-bracelet
To me this is excessive. Though nice watch, still half a grand is way too much.

I've seen more expensive watches and very functional watches sold on a cruise ship. No thank you. I am known as a destroyer of watches.

I stopped wearing watches and used my smart phone exclusively for over a decade. One season is that it's accurate and does not suffer from time drift that occurs with regular time pieces. I also would be afraid of losing the watch due to forgetfulness.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

gonealookin

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 09, 2023, 11:51:01 AM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on May 09, 2023, 10:55:58 AM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 07, 2023, 10:47:17 PM
I have an altimeter watch I use for climbing mountains and backpacking and such. It's not cheap.

Just out of idle curiosity, what watch do you have?

Coros Vertix 2. I used to have a Garmin Instinct, but the Vertix is much nicer looking for day to day wear.

That looks nice.  It's quite a bit more than I need for (mostly) day hiking in the mountains.  My watch is a Casio Pathfinder, which it looks like I paid $159 for when I bought it in 2016.  The altimeter function on that (20-foot increments; I'm not using the thing to land an airplane in fog) plus the walk-tracking app on the phone gives me as much info as I need.

I think the answer to the OP's question in most cases is:  decide exactly which functions you're actually going to use and then find something low-end that has those functions with little to no other clutter.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.