News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Atlanta

Started by Chris, January 28, 2009, 10:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomahawkin

2 words for a outer perimeter: Pipe Dream.

armadillo speedbump

Quote from: Tom958 on January 23, 2020, 07:53:18 PM
Do you not realize that the northwest corridor express lanes are one way and reversible?

Obviously not.  Oops.  Thanks for the explanation.

Tomahawkin

What is average toll rate for the Toller-Coaster? The 2.00 toll on the 75 toll lanes south of Atlanta is great and saved me 30 minutes of being in rush hour traffic on route to Macon

sprjus4

Quote from: Finrod on January 24, 2020, 11:22:50 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on January 24, 2020, 09:29:12 AM
How about that Outer Perimeter?

I'd be happy if they just build expressways that don't go to Atlanta, since as is every expressway in the state save I-95 is designed to funnel traffic to Atlanta.  E.g.:

Calhoun to Rome to Carrolton to Newnan.

Columbus to Macon/Warner Robins to Augusta.

Rome to Cartersville to Canton to Cumming to GA 316 east of Lawrenceville to Athens to Augusta.

I'll stop here since this is turning fictional.
Expressway or freeway?

For expressway, I would define that as a 4-lane divided highway with limited or no traffic signals, and high quality design.

In that case, the Fall Line Freeway (not freeway) was recently completed between Columbus and Augusta, largely 4-lane divided 65 mph highway, with limited 55 mph segments and limited traffic signals. I've never tried it, but if I'm ever approaching Atlanta near rush hour heading to I-85 south from I-20 or vice versa, I may try it.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: Buck87 on January 21, 2020, 08:58:02 AM
I find exit 90 on I-20 in Covington to be pretty interesting. When was this configuration built?

In most cases a loop ramp takes you around roughly 270 degrees to make a left turn, but here there's a loop that takes you around 360 degrees to continue straight (relative to the direction you were going) / make a slight right turn (relative to the freeway)

VS988

I have also always found that interchange to be incredibly fascinating. The way all of those ramps are configured is endlessly intriguing to me.

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on January 21, 2020, 01:45:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyHoyGsn9FQ

Here is a visualization of the I-285 Top-End express lanes in Atlanta.

That looks absolutely amazing. I wasn't aware of those plans up until now, but that is very exciting. Hopefully it will do some good work in alleviating traffic congestion.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Georgia

Camp Creek DDI opened up this morning and seemed to be flowing decently at 7am and 11am when I drove the project. 

Tomahawkin

At the Camp DDI is it 2 main lanes, and 2 turn lanes in each direction??? I dont think it's going to help much at peak times with all the 18 wheeler traffic. The one on Jimmy Carter has been done for almost 10 years, and traffic still sucks there! Because of all the red light signals nearby on both sides if the interchange.

Finrod

Sandy Springs is finally planning on doing something about Hammond Drive between Roswell Road and Glenridge Drive; there will be an open house in two weeks, Wednesday Feb. 26.  What I don't see is any definite assurances that they will actually add any lanes.  Reversible lanes just do not cut it, IMHO.

https://patch.com/georgia/sandysprings/sandy-springs-hosting-open-house-feb-26-hammond-dr

https://www.reporternewspapers.net/2019/11/09/sandy-springs-buys-another-house-for-hammond-drive-widening-project/

http://www.sandyspringsga.gov/Home/Components/FacilityDirectory/FacilityDirectory/186/202

http://www.sandyspringsga.gov/home/showdocument?id=20690
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

Tomahawkin

With all the rain Since November: I have a feel that the 285/400 interchange wont be done til summer of 2021. And I only seeing it open at 1 section at a time. I think the 400 south to 285 east overhead will be the first to open? Followed by the 400 north to 285 east over peachtree/Dunwoody road. I believe they will prolong the project to incorporate the future 285/400overhead Express lanes flyover ramps 5 years from now? Anyone have any thoughts or have heard anything from town meetings???

Tomahawkin

Just found out that the 285/20 interchange flyover project in DeKalb county is not supposed to begin until 2022, and will take 3 years to complete. I was hoping that this would start sooner because that interchange starts the traffic backup on 285 SB at 230 in the afternoons. So no 285 traffic relief until the 400/285 interchange is completed and that's just a temporary band aid, IMO

SSF

Quote from: Tomahawkin on June 27, 2020, 09:20:49 AM
Just found out that the 285/20 interchange flyover project in DeKalb county is not supposed to begin until 2022, and will take 3 years to complete. I was hoping that this would start sooner because that interchange starts the traffic backup on 285 SB at 230 in the afternoons. So no 285 traffic relief until the 400/285 interchange is completed and that's just a temporary band aid, IMO

every road project is a temporary band aid.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: SSF on June 30, 2020, 03:35:31 PM
Quote from: Tomahawkin on June 27, 2020, 09:20:49 AM

every road project is a temporary band aid.
With this mentality then so is every other piece of infrastructure as it will eventually have to be replaced and/or upgraded in the future.

Tomahawkin

I agree because there are so many badly needed bridge/interchange improvements needed along IH 285, it might might be 10 years before traffic is feasible on that whole 60 mile perimeter. I only know of 5 bridges that have had major work done to them or rebuilt altogether. The Roswell Road Bridge is outdated by 25+ years IMO

SSF

Macland Road widening from Powder Springs to Dallas is going to start next week with the usual clearing and grubbing and force account utility relocates. 

Slated to take 3 years according to the GDOT news release.

https://mailchi.mp/dot/state-route-360macland-rd-widening-and-reconstruction-project-to-begin-next-week-in-cobb-and-paulding-counties

Finrod

Quote from: Tomahawkin on June 30, 2020, 04:55:48 PM
I agree because there are so many badly needed bridge/interchange improvements needed along IH 285, it might might be 10 years before traffic is feasible on that whole 60 mile perimeter. I only know of 5 bridges that have had major work done to them or rebuilt altogether. The Roswell Road Bridge is outdated by 25+ years IMO

In recent years they've been replacing a lot of the bridges over I-85 from I-985 to South Carolina, and maybe south of Atlanta, but I don't drive that way often.  From what I understand it's part of 6-laning I-85 through Georgia.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

Tomahawkin

I not certain if I asked this on here a few years ago but has anyone noticed that the overhead HOV Lane signs on both IH 75 and IH 85 have been removed throughout the city? I'm sensing that those HOV lanes will be converted into toll lanes in the not to distant future. IMO...

Tomahawkin

Does anyone know a ETA of the 400/285 interchange completion? My Big Boy Gut tells me that it maybe next Summer??? I think that they are doing preliminary work to tie in the 400 toll lanes into it which has delayed completion, IMO.

Eth

Quote from: Tomahawkin on August 08, 2020, 11:55:19 AM
Does anyone know a ETA of the 400/285 interchange completion? My Big Boy Gut tells me that it maybe next Summer??? I think that they are doing preliminary work to tie in the 400 toll lanes into it which has delayed completion, IMO.

GDOT's FAQ for the project, last updated just a couple weeks ago, suggests late 2021 or early 2022.

Tomahawkin

Cheesewhiz! I think it's going to continue onto the 400 Express lane project. Hence the delay. In other words IMO Both projects are tied in together as well as adding a MARTA Rail extension up to Alpharetta...

Ian1182

Quote from: Tomahawkin on August 08, 2020, 02:31:12 PM
Cheesewhiz! I think it's going to continue onto the 400 Express lane project. Hence the delay. In other words IMO Both projects are tied in together as well as adding a MARTA Rail extension up to Alpharetta...

From what I've seen on MARTA and GDOT's websites, the rail extension has been shelved in favor of a "bus rapid transit" system. The buses would presumably use the 400 express lanes and run north from the North Springs MARTA station. This video is a good visualization of what it will look like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpY1Hbx3raI&feature=youtu.be

With 400 planned to be 14 lanes wide in some places, it really makes me wonder why it was never given an interstate designation (such as I-385 or I-585). My best guess is that it was originally tolled ITP, but that didn't happen until the 90s anyway and has since been removed.
NC -> GA

Grzrd

This article is about a group trying to gather momentum for an Atlanta version of the Big Dig, which would put a deck above I-75/I-85:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc.com/news/atlanta-news/midtown-interstate-deck-supporters-seek-public-input/JUDOGF5ZKREMDJPVI7ZJDAM25U/%3foutputType=amp

Great Lakes Roads

Here is a video from GDOT of the proposed rendering of the I-20/I-285 West interchange in Atlanta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2esu2SRIKM

Tomahawkin

Thanks for the upload. That interchange improvement is 25 years past due!

Tomahawkin

Watched the video! I love this interchange improvement! I hope they add more lighting to both interstates in that area! I'm guessing this will be a 3 year construction project. Also I wonder if some of the funding for these projects are coming from the revenue collected from the toll lanes? If so, those 13+ dollar rates on IH85 during both AM and PM rush hours are starting to pay dividends...

SSF

Thank god all the left hand exits are gonna be eliminated, i know all tractor trailer drivers will be thrilled. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.