News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Austin to Kansas City (and to Wisconsin)

Started by texaskdog, July 20, 2014, 11:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texaskdog

We're leaving Thursday and we always take I-35.  We're thinking about going through Dallas and east of Tulsa and up I-49 now that it's done through there.  What do y'all think?

AplikowskiTheMinnesotan

What part of Wisconsin are you heading to first of all? Now do you want to avoid I-35 completely or do you mind taking part of it? But anyways, if you want to avoid it completely, I would recommend taking I-35 to Hillsboro, and then get on I-35E heading to Dallas, then head onto US 75 North and take that into Oklahoma. When you pass the Indian Nation Turnpike, keep going straight and head onto US 69 North and take that through McAlester and Muskogee. US 69 will then run into I-44, and then get on I-44 Eastbound into Missouri and then get on I-49 North going to Kansas City. (If you want to avoid tolls, I would recommend continuing following US 69 to Miami, OK and then take ALT. US 69 into Kansas, and then head north towards Fort Scott, once you're there, US 69 will become freeway all the way up into Kansas City, KS, if you're going to Missouri, US 69 will run into I-35 and you can take that into the Missouri side. Now heading to let's say, Milwaukee, you can take I-35 to Des Moines and then I-80 to Rochelle, IL. Then head up I-39 through Rockford (there is a toll in South Beloit, which is $1.90 for passenger vehicles), and then take I-43 east to Milwaukee. If you want to avoid tolls, then take I-35 to Des Moines, then I-80 to Iowa City, and then up I-380 to Cedar Rapids, and then take US 151 to Madison, and then get on I-94 going east to Milwaukee.
Rush is the best band! Case closed.

Scott5114

If you're doing it just to see something different, sure, why not. Otherwise, your route through Oklahoma is a mess of almost-but-not-quite-freeways with a smattering of speed trap towns in between.

If you just really want to see I-49, I'd suggest doing something like I-35 to I-44 to I-49, or take I-40 to Alma, AR to pick it up there (I-49 in Arkansas is quite scenic). If time is no object, take I-35 to OK-66 (i.e. old US-66) and take that all the way to Vinita. You could also do something like I-30 to US-71 at Texarkana and take that up to I-540 in Fort Smith, which is probably the most scenic but slowest option.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

texaskdog

Quote from: AplikowskiTheMinnesotan on July 21, 2014, 03:01:53 AM
What part of Wisconsin are you heading to first of all? Now do you want to avoid I-35 completely or do you mind taking part of it? But anyways, if you want to avoid it completely, I would recommend taking I-35 to Hillsboro, and then get on I-35E heading to Dallas, then head onto US 75 North and take that into Oklahoma. When you pass the Indian Nation Turnpike, keep going straight and head onto US 69 North and take that through McAlester and Muskogee. US 69 will then run into I-44, and then get on I-44 Eastbound into Missouri and then get on I-49 North going to Kansas City. (If you want to avoid tolls, I would recommend continuing following US 69 to Miami, OK and then take ALT. US 69 into Kansas, and then head north towards Fort Scott, once you're there, US 69 will become freeway all the way up into Kansas City, KS,

This is the current plan.  Figured it's a little longer and even with tolls it's cheaper than the $6 in Kansas, plus we're so tired of Kansas. We're heading 20 miles east of Tomah so there aren't many good alternate routes on the north half.

texaskdog

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 21, 2014, 03:46:41 AM
If you're doing it just to see something different, sure, why not. Otherwise, your route through Oklahoma is a mess of almost-but-not-quite-freeways with a smattering of speed trap towns in between.

If you just really want to see I-49, I'd suggest doing something like I-35 to I-44 to I-49, or take I-40 to Alma, AR to pick it up there (I-49 in Arkansas is quite scenic). If time is no object, take I-35 to OK-66 (i.e. old US-66) and take that all the way to Vinita. You could also do something like I-30 to US-71 at Texarkana and take that up to I-540 in Fort Smith, which is probably the most scenic but slowest option.

We're trying to go almost as fast as possible, no time really for sightseeing besides some madison county chick bridge thing she wants to see.

US71

Traffic in NW Arkansas can be a clusterduck at rush hour, even on 49. Then you have 5-6 traffic signals on 71 between Bella Vista and Pineville. If time is of the essence, 49 in NW Arkansas might be best to wait until another time (IMO)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Scott5114

Quote from: texaskdog on July 21, 2014, 11:45:32 AM

We're trying to go almost as fast as possible, no time really for sightseeing besides some madison county chick bridge thing she wants to see.

In that case, US-69 is a reasonable route. I would still recommend I-35 to I-44 though, because it's only 20 minutes longer according to Google and less frustrating: Muskogee and Wagoner are a real slog to get through. If you use I-44, you can take the Creek Turnpike to neatly bypass Tulsa.

You could also do I-35 to 44 to 55 to 39 but I-39 is so bland that you'll wish you had just gone through Kansas.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

texaskdog

we have to come back on 39..Necedah, WI to Pell City, AL.  Well I'll get to see 3 new states: KY, AL, MS.  Just missing Arkansas again

Looks like we might stay in Muskogee OK tonight

bugo

US 69 is a full freeway from north of McAlester to south of Muskogee.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.