News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What would you claim to be the most severe weather event you survived?

Started by Hurricane Rex, January 06, 2018, 04:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

dvferyance

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

US 89

I don't think that my life has ever been in real danger from weather, but on a family road trip in Montana this summer we drove into a storm with at least quarter-sized hail. When it splashed into the puddles in the median of the interstate, the splashes were at least 2 feet high. Once we were out of that, we stopped at the next town and inspected the car for hail dents (there weren't any).

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: roadguy2 on January 17, 2018, 06:46:26 PM
I don't think that my life has ever been in real danger from weather, but on a family road trip in Montana this summer we drove into a storm with at least quarter-sized hail. When it splashed into the puddles in the median of the interstate, the splashes were at least 2 feet high. Once we were out of that, we stopped at the next town and inspected the car for hail dents (there weren't any).

(emphasis mine)

I find that hard to believe, if it really were quarter-sized.

US 89

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 17, 2018, 10:28:54 PM

(emphasis mine)

It was definitely quarter sized. I took a picture and sent it to the NWS, and they put it on the national storm reports page as a 1-inch hail event.

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 17, 2018, 06:27:57 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on January 16, 2018, 09:45:10 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 06, 2018, 09:51:34 PM
Quote from: NE2 on January 06, 2018, 02:16:22 PM
[image snipped]
How old are you?
It dosen't matter anyways the last Titanic survivor died in 2009.
What? Why does that matter?
He was inferring that he survived. That's why you asked, right? Or are you still trying to figure out how old he is just cuz you want to know?  :-D

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on January 17, 2018, 10:33:57 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 17, 2018, 06:27:57 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on January 16, 2018, 09:45:10 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 06, 2018, 09:51:34 PM
Quote from: NE2 on January 06, 2018, 02:16:22 PM
[image snipped]
How old are you?
It dosen't matter anyways the last Titanic survivor died in 2009.
What? Why does that matter?
He was inferring that he survived. That's why you asked, right? Or are you still trying to figure out how old he is just cuz you want to know?  :-D
If the last survivor died in 2009, he must be very old. Actually, this is inferring that he is a ghost.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: roadguy2 on January 17, 2018, 10:31:25 PM
(emphasis mine)

It was definitely quarter sized. I took a picture and sent it to the NWS, and they put it on the national storm reports page as a 1-inch hail event.

My disbelief was more on the no dents part... I've driven through half-inch (at least) hail before and my car got all kinds of dented up. I guess it depends on the vehicle (and how fast you were going, I suppose). :confused:

US 89

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 17, 2018, 10:35:46 PM
Quote from: roadguy2 on January 17, 2018, 10:31:25 PM
(emphasis mine)

My disbelief was more on the no dents part... I've driven through half-inch hail before and my car got all kinds of dented up. I guess it depends on the vehicle. :confused:

We were surprised as well. It was a newer model (2016 I think?) Subaru Outback.

DeaconG

Hurricane Jeanne (so far) was the worst weather I've had to deal with (though Matthew got a little too close to home for comfort). The President's Day Blizzard in the DC Metro area in 1983 comes a very close second (I was snowbound for two days) and Tropical Storm Fay would be third (tons of rain flooded the major streets in my area for a couple of days).
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

vdeane

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 17, 2018, 10:35:27 PM
If the last survivor died in 2009, he must be very old. Actually, this is inferring that he is a ghost.
Maybe he was on the Titanic in a prior reincarnation.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: vdeane on January 18, 2018, 01:55:50 PM
What else could he have done in that past life?

formulanone

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 19, 2018, 04:53:29 PM

Posted in an AARoads thread from 1912, that's what. Or perhaps he subscribed to AARoasts, because his fingers were waterlogged.

We're talking about NE2 and ghosts, none of this needs to make sense.

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 19, 2018, 04:53:29 PM
Ask him that  :D

brownpelican

Beltway

I've been through lots of severe weather, but I don't recall ever feeling that my life was in danger from weather.

The worst would be hurricanes Donna in 1960 and Cleo in 1965, category 1 hurricanes when they came thru our town in central Florida.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

US71

Driving though a major snowstorm trying to get to Springfield, MO.  Christmas 1983, I think.

I left home early to try to beat the storm and hit the center of it around Monett.  What was normally a 3 hour drive took close to 6. I was snowbound at my parents house for close to a week.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Takumi

Isabel in 2003. Lots of fallen trees due to the rain on already saturated ground after a wet summer.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

KeithE4Phx

Tornado, Franklin Park IL (Chicago suburb just south of O'Hare Airport), 3/12/1976.  It directly hit my workplace, and the back wall collapsed about 20 feet in front of my workbench.  One man was killed.  It also hit my apartment building a couple of blocks away, tearing the roof off one corner of the building.  One apartment was destroyed but nobody was hurt.

I survived unscathed, but had to evacuate my building for the weekend since other buildings in the neighborhood were severely damaged.  That evacuation almost got me fired.  I couldn't return until Sunday night (March 12 was a Friday), and as it turned out, the company temporarily relocated to the warehouse next door to my building.  My boss couldn't find me, and the phones didn't come back on-line for another couple of days.  To say he was pissed about me not working to get the new location set up was an understatement.  He started screaming at me until I showed him my building.  Only then did he say OK.  I had no idea what was going on until Monday morning when I saw coworkers entering the warehouse.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

JMoses24

I have had a couple tornadoes pass over a vehicle I was in. That would be the worst.

If you want to look at instances where I was physically exposed to the wind (not protected by a vehicle), then Hurricane Ike in 2008 easily takes over that top spot. 50 mph sustained winds with 74 mph gusts, easily one of the worst windstorms to impact Ohio.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.