News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Dandelions

Started by Roadgeekteen, May 16, 2021, 08:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

I'm definitely in agreement with you there. I don't understand why anyone would want a yard with full sun in Oklahoma. In the summer with our 100° temperatures and tendency to not get rain for the entire months of July and August, yards with no trees look like the surface of the Moon. The grass goes dormant and dry like it's winter, and the soil turns hard as bricks with huge stress cracks running through it. Shady yards are much more tolerable under those conditions.

There aren't a whole lot of shady neighborhoods here, but I think much of that's is just because the city is just too new. My house was built in 1976, so that's probably about how old my Bradford pears are. Norman hasn't existed long enough for widespread proliferation of really big trees; about the only place you see that is in the very oldest parts of the city around the university and downtown.

I'm fortunate to not live in a HOA, and I think many of my neighbors rent, so I don't really have to worry about anyone getting onto me for my yard maintenance. I do the bare minimum to skate by–keep it mowed–and do try to keep the branches trimmed back enough that they don't cause an inconvenience for anyone passing by on the sidewalk. But other than that, whatever!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

webny99

Personally, I think no shade at all is a bit too desert-like (as it can lead to parched lawns, especially in this area), but at least some sun is good.

kphoger

Quote from: thspfc on May 16, 2021, 09:06:58 PM
I like the yellow dandelions, but the gray ones are annoying.

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 16, 2021, 10:44:18 PM
Dandelion flowers are ok, the seedy white/grey ones are awful.

They're the same ones, just at different points in time.

* mind blown *
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Bruce

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 16, 2021, 11:15:38 PM
What I think would be really cool would be if I could get moss to grow on my yard.

My yard does this quite well, thanks to our climate. Moss is nicer to lay on than grass.

Also, lawns are such a waste of time.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on May 18, 2021, 04:41:30 PM
Quote from: thspfc on May 16, 2021, 09:06:58 PM
I like the yellow dandelions, but the gray ones are annoying.

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 16, 2021, 10:44:18 PM
Dandelion flowers are ok, the seedy white/grey ones are awful.

They're the same ones, just at different points in time.

* mind blown *
I know.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

What do you call a lion that likes to dress up fancy?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on May 19, 2021, 12:55:46 PM
I didn't laugh.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

index

Raises hand, waving it in the air, WRIGGLING my grubby little fingers, frantically shouting "Ooh, pick me! Pick me! I know! I know the answer!"
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

kphoger

Quote from: index on May 19, 2021, 03:10:02 PM

Raises hand, waving it in the air, WRIGGLING my grubby little fingers, frantically shouting "Ooh, pick me! Pick me! I know! I know the answer!"

Yes.  You, in the front, with the flashing lights.  Do you have the answer?
Male pronouns, please.

index

Quote from: kphoger on May 19, 2021, 03:12:11 PM
Quote from: index on May 19, 2021, 03:10:02 PM

Yes.  You, in the front, with the flashing lights.  Do you have the answer?
Dandy lion.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Concrete Bob

Semi on-topic.....I can get dandelion greens in the produce section of my local grocery stores.  The greens thrive in the late winter/early spring in California. They make for a very tasty salad, when accompanied by a dressing made of olive oil, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper, crushed garlic and a touch of dijon mustard.  The greens are slightly bitter, but they have a nice earthy taste and finish.  A dandelion green salad is a great pair with a nice steak or a grilled fish.  It beats iceberg lettuce in a heartbeat.

Anyway, back to the levity.  I am trying to walk the fine, dandy line between keeping the thread intact, while sharing information about one of my favorite salads.       

Scott5114

Wikipedia mentions that dandelion greens can be blanched to remove some of the bitterness.

Rothman

Paying for dandelion greens sounds like paying for bottled water to me. 
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Rothman on May 20, 2021, 06:55:57 AM
You can guarantee that the greens are in good condition I guess?

webny99

Paying for bottled water makes sense for car trips.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on May 20, 2021, 12:05:37 PM

Bringing your own travel mug and just filling it up in the gas station bathroom sink makes sense for car trips, too.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on May 20, 2021, 12:09:50 PM
Bringing your own travel mug and just filling it up in the gas station bathroom sink makes cents for car trips, too.

FTFY.

A public bathroom sink? Yuck.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on May 20, 2021, 01:07:26 PM

What is less sanitary about filling your cup at a gas station bathroom sink than filling it up at your own kitchen sink?
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on May 20, 2021, 01:09:57 PM

What is less sanitary about filling your cup at a gas station bathroom sink than filling it up at your own kitchen sink?

Uh... everything? You have no idea who or what has used that sink or how often it's been cleaned. I wouldn't want anything that I'm going to drink out of to be in a public bathroom, period. Much less under the actual sink.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on May 20, 2021, 01:19:52 PM

Uh... everything? You have no idea who or what has used that sink or how often it's been cleaned. I wouldn't want anything that I'm going to drink out of to be in a public bathroom, period. Much less under the actual sink.

1.  I don't really care who else has used the sink, considering the water would be going straight from the tap into my cup.  All that really matters is how sanitary the water supply is.  And, in that regard, why should I think my own house's water is any better?  Heck, I never test my own household water.

2.  A lot of places, especially big truck stops, post the cleaning schedule on the door or wall of the bathroom.  So yes, often I know the exact frequency the bathroom has been cleaned with.  And I guarantee they're cleaned more often than my own faucets at home.  In fact, you know what?  I have three kids, and my wife operates a licensed home daycare.  How many snot-nosed, grubby-fingered little ones have used my home sinks?  Besides, I'd wager that the products the bathroom staff uses to clean with are also more effective than what I have at home.

3.  If you think the water from a gas station bathroom sink is so unsanitary, then why do you wash your hands with it?  I assume that, when you wash your hands in that sink, you consider your hands to be clean enough to eat with.  Or do you always use hand sanitizer after washing your hands at a gas station?

But OK, fine.

Bringing your own travel mug jug of water, filled from your kitchen sink, and just filling it up in the gas station bathroom sink your own travel mug as needed makes sense for car trips, too.

Is that better?
Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on May 20, 2021, 12:09:50 PM
Quote from: webny99 on May 20, 2021, 12:05:37 PM

Bringing your own travel mug and just filling it up in the gas station bathroom sink makes sense for car trips, too.
I would try to look for those water bottle fillers.

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on May 20, 2021, 01:19:52 PM

I never do anything to the actual faucet whenever I clean the sink. I've taken the aerator off of the bathroom sink twice to clean out random junk from the pipes that caused a low flow rate. I just pulled it off with a pair of pliers, and once I let it soak in CLR for a few hours. The second time I just knocked the junk out of it and put it back on. Neither time I sanitized it. As far as I know nobody has gotten sick from using the faucets in our house. (Although we don't drink out of them; Norman water has an icky taste so we drink out of a 5-gallon water dispenser that I do sanitize with bleach about once a year or so.)

Does anyone actually do anything special to their faucet to keep it clean, other than periodically removing calcium or lime buildup?

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 20, 2021, 02:35:50 PM

What are those, and how would I look for them?
Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on May 20, 2021, 03:19:59 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 20, 2021, 02:35:50 PM

What are those, and how would I look for them?

If not, just a normal water fountain would be better than a sink.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.