News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 17, 2019, 03:59:39 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on July 17, 2019, 02:51:40 PM
An interchange at 276th and US 31 will be built in the coming years. There will be one at 236th soon.

Pixel 2 XL

236th makes sense, but why 276th?  266th goes to Arcadia so I'd think that road gets more traffic.
It's because Hamilton County considers 276th as the next major corridor like 146 and 236. It's part of their thoroughfare plan.

Pixel 2 XL

tdindy88

I don't see anything special about 276th Street, 266th does seem far more important, going east to Arcadia and continuing east across the rest of the county, I can very much see the next interchange being there. Likewise I could see a small exit at 296th Street (though there is a very small town right at that point.) This could see exits at 236th, 266th and 296th, neat three mile intervals in between exits and SR 28 looks like it's about four miles north of 296th as well.

silverback1065

Quote from: tdindy88 on July 17, 2019, 07:51:48 PM
I don't see anything special about 276th Street, 266th does seem far more important, going east to Arcadia and continuing east across the rest of the county, I can very much see the next interchange being there. Likewise I could see a small exit at 296th Street (though there is a very small town right at that point.) This could see exits at 236th, 266th and 296th, neat three mile intervals in between exits and SR 28 looks like it's about four miles north of 296th as well.
Unfortunately Hamilton county begs to differ, they recently upgraded 276th as well. I agree this location makes no sense to me either

silverback1065

Also 146th street in a few yrs will become an expressway, every signal from us 31 to SR 37 will be replaced with an interchange, with one metered roundabout at Oak Road. Allisonville will be first, then 37

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 17, 2019, 08:26:37 PM
Unfortunately Hamilton county begs to differ, they recently upgraded 276th as well. I agree this location makes no sense to me either

Only thing I can figure is that the owner of the John Deere store has some pull with someone in the county government and/or INDOT.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

silverback1065

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 18, 2019, 07:52:13 AM

Only thing I can figure is that the owner of the John Deere store has some pull with someone in the county government and/or INDOT.
There's also great harvest organics and Beck's hybrids that are at the East end of the road, that's why they upgraded it east of 31 last year.

bmeiser

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 17, 2019, 08:28:10 PM
Also 146th street in a few yrs will become an expressway, every signal from us 31 to SR 37 will be replaced with an interchange, with one metered roundabout at Oak Road. Allisonville will be first, then 37

http://www.youarecurrent.com/2019/07/16/in-a-jam-amid-improvements-county-seeks-additional-funds-to-upgrade-146th-street-in-carmel/

I wouldn't say "will", as only a feasibility study has been completed and funding sources haven't been determined for the vast majority of this proposed project, other than interchanges at Allisonville and 37.  If funding is found, Hazel Dell will be the first priority and they may go ahead and do preliminary engineering and environmental work ahead of time.

silverback1065

I wish they'd sign this as a county highway with a shield. Also SR 32 should be 4 lanes from 31 to white River.

tdindy88

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 18, 2019, 08:05:20 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on July 18, 2019, 07:52:13 AM

There's also great harvest organics and Beck's hybrids that are at the East end of the road, that's why they upgraded it east of 31 last year.

I guess the only good thing with 276th Street, providing the new road connects to SR 19 is it can serve both Arcadia and Atlanta from a single roadway. And they can save up from having to have two new exits in the far northern part of the county, leaving only one exit north of 236th Street until Tipton County.

nwi_navigator_1181

This portion of this post will be dated rather quickly, but heads up to those visiting the Northwest Indiana area next week.

The ramp connecting I-80/94 westbound (and Central Avenue) to I-65 south (the flyover ramp) will close for a bridge deck overlay. The official detour calls for westbound traffic to use Broadway (exit 10) to connect to I-80/94 eastbound and double back to I-65 south.

The I-65 bridge immediately north of that interchange appears to be nearing completion, if the traffic cameras are any indication. Deck pours appear to be complete, with only guardrail pouring and mesh fencing (over the railroad portion of the bridge only) left to be done. Slated for fall completion, it appears well ahead of schedule, with the possibility of opening before the vaunted Labor Day travel weekend. Equally as important: all current restrictions will be lifted once the road reopens.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

silverback1065

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 25, 2019, 02:37:44 PM
Good news everyone!

https://www.kokomotribune.com/news/local_news/indot-purchasing-houses-along-u-s-in-tipton-co-to/article_e99f39bc-ae4b-11e9-892c-07f4a6bdbcdb.html

Indot is buying property on 31 in Tipton county. 28 up to the county line.

That would leave about 12 miles between IN 28 and IN 38 and then there would be full freeway from Indy to Kokomo.

tdindy88

Are there any interchanges planned in Tipton County between SR 28 and SR 931, out of curiosity?

silverback1065

No. Division Road could get one in the far future, but as of now nope.

silverback1065

I-65 in whitestown will soon be improved.  The 267 exit will be a DDI and will tie into Albert S. White Dr. better.  A new DDI at CR 550 will be built and this is where Ronald Reagan Parkway will eventually terminate into in the future.  Whitestown parkway will have the ramp from NB 65 fixed slightly to correct the deflection angle. And the 3rd lane on 65 south will be extended just south of the 865 interchange to allow for easier merging and cut down on weaving between the entrance ramp to SB 65 and the exit ramp to EB 865. 

silverback1065

thought this may be interesting to you all:

IMUTCD Indiana's version of the MUTCD https://www.in.gov/dot/div/contracts/design/mutcd/2011rev3MUTCD.htm
IDM Indiana design manual, Indiana's version of the AASHTO Green Book: https://www.in.gov/indot/design_manual/design_manual_2013.htm#

nwi_navigator_1181

New work developments going on this month.

First, the Indiana Toll Road (with little warning) closed off the ramp to Cline Avenue (Indiana 912, exit 10) for pavement and bridge repairs, which will last until the end of the month. The official detour requires traffic to use the Lake Station interchange (exit 21) and I-80/94 to connect to and from Cline Avenue. Speaking of Lake Station...

Traffic on I-94 is reduced to two lanes just east of the Toll Road for bridge joint repair over US 20. This project is scheduled to last 10 days.

You may have also noticed no activity on the Indiana 51 bridge just north of I-80/94. INDOT explains that the project requires a redesign due to an unexpected discovery of soil erosion and shifting on the underside of the structure, which could cause major problems in the long term. When a redesign is determined, INDOT will announce when the project will resume.

Next week, southbound traffic on I-65 between US 30 and US 231 will be shifted to the northbound side for continuation of that area’s concrete restoration project. This will result in a closure of the southbound entry and exit ramps of 109th Avenue. The detour will suggest using US 30 and Indiana 53 (Broadway), though it may be quicker to use US 231 and double back.

It’s looking increasingly likely that the northbound I-65 bridge over Central Avenue and the CSX line will be open well ahead of schedule. Traffic cams today showed construction vehicles crossing the new structure, including one vehicle doing a pour for the retaining walls. I’ll predict that it will be open in time for Labor Day weekend.

EDIT: Northbound I-65 traffic is now driving on the new bridge and is no longer crossing over to the southbound bridge. All remaining work involves the removal of crossovers, striping, guardrail installation, and equipment removal.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

silverback1065

Down here in the Indy metro area:

465 is closed EB/NB from 65 to 70 on the southeast side.  massive delays for 70 and 65 approaching the south split.  65 from 29th to lafayette road has some concrete repairs going on. 865 is having its bridge over eagle creek replaced.  and all asphalt portions of the interstates are being resurfaced and all concrete portions patched.  It's a mess down here!    :-(

silverback1065

This is likely why the exit will be at 276th, with this connection, you have a road going straight across the county. https://www.hamiltoncounty.in.gov/1175/276th-St-Extension

ysuindy

Quote from: silverback1065 on August 15, 2019, 12:10:03 PM

465 is closed EB/NB from 65 to 70 on the southeast side.  massive delays for 70 and 65 approaching the south split.  65 from 29th to lafayette road has some concrete repairs going on. 865 is having its bridge over eagle creek replaced.  and all asphalt portions of the interstates are being resurfaced and all concrete portions patched.  It's a mess down here!    :-(

Adding to the mess, the 465 EB/NB closure / repair extends about a half mile north past the on ramps from 70.  The result is that the left lane of the on ramp from 70 EB to 465 NB is closed beginning in about the middle of the ramp. 

Just seems like an evil touch to put more traffic on 70 and on that ramp system, then close one of the lanes on the ramp.  The real jam is before where the on ramp from Shadeland comes up to EB - the ramp is already down to two lanes there. 

That said, once you clear the construction zone heading north on 465, it is smooth sailing, even up the hill at Fall Creek as traffic has been thinned out by the earlier jams.

I imagine my trip from Fishers to downtown will be hell after Labor Day when they close 465 SB/WB and the traffic gets diverted to 70.  On most days, westbound 70 from the east side is the main traffic congestion point on the morning commute.  Put all the cars from 465 on to 70 and I just see a lot of gridlock.  And IUPUI starts classes at the end of the month - more downtown traffic. 

I'm going to have to start leaving home earlier to be able to get from 69 to Binford before the Heritage Christian traffic jam starts or figure out some other convoluted way in to town.

(Where's the whining emoji for me).   Fight through a couple of weeks then hopefully we have a few smooth years of travel on the interstates.

silverback1065

Quote from: ysuindy on August 16, 2019, 05:43:07 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on August 15, 2019, 12:10:03 PM

Adding to the mess, the 465 EB/NB closure / repair extends about a half mile north past the on ramps from 70.  The result is that the left lane of the on ramp from 70 EB to 465 NB is closed beginning in about the middle of the ramp. 

Just seems like an evil touch to put more traffic on 70 and on that ramp system, then close one of the lanes on the ramp.  The real jam is before where the on ramp from Shadeland comes up to EB - the ramp is already down to two lanes there. 

That said, once you clear the construction zone heading north on 465, it is smooth sailing, even up the hill at Fall Creek as traffic has been thinned out by the earlier jams.

I imagine my trip from Fishers to downtown will be hell after Labor Day when they close 465 SB/WB and the traffic gets diverted to 70.  On most days, westbound 70 from the east side is the main traffic congestion point on the morning commute.  Put all the cars from 465 on to 70 and I just see a lot of gridlock.  And IUPUI starts classes at the end of the month - more downtown traffic. 

I'm going to have to start leaving home earlier to be able to get from 69 to Binford before the Heritage Christian traffic jam starts or figure out some other convoluted way in to town.

(Where's the whining emoji for me).   Fight through a couple of weeks then hopefully we have a few smooth years of travel on the interstates.
That's my commute too . But from Carmel. I'll take 65 in and that's not a fun ride in the morning.

NWI_Irish96

Maybe all this gridlock will nudge people towards being more open to some kind of rail network.

tdindy88

Not when the state legislature bans light rail.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: tdindy88 on August 17, 2019, 08:44:21 AM
Not when the state legislature bans light rail.

Maybe some of those legislators will get stuck in all this traffic and change their minds.

silverback1065

No rail will happen, BRT is what is going to happen. Blue and purple line are the next two Indy go lines to be built. Until the suburbs get their heads out of their asses none of these routes will leave Marion county. Plainfield and Carmel are interested.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.