Cities with least developed freeway networks

Started by Urban Prairie Schooner, January 22, 2009, 11:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urban Prairie Schooner

Which cities, in your opinion, have the least comprehensive limited access highway networks vis-a-vis their size?

In terms of lane miles per thousand population, I understand that Los Angeles, Washington, Chicago, and Boston, among other places, rank fairly low, while sprawlopoli such as Houston, D/FW, and Phoenix rank higher.

Also, this extends to the lane capacity of freeways within a metro area. Freeway facilities themselves may be plentiful within a locality, but if there are 6 and 8 lane facilities in locations where there is enough traffic demand for 10-12 lanes, this can also count as limited access highway network underdevelopment.

Thoughts?

Darkchylde

Baton Rouge immediately comes to mind, even though the population isn't /that/ high in the grand scheme of things.

Although I've never made it up there yet, NYC strikes me as another high entry on this list.

FLRoads

The Fort Myers/Cape Coral (Florida) area has only one interstate, I-75.  There were plans in the 1980's to build a beltway around the county but they were nixed thanks to NIMBY's.  Now the county residents are regulated to use the only interstate and only a few main arterials to get around, with only four main thoroughfares that reach the interstate.  There are plans to upgrade the Veterans Parkway (CR 884), Colonial Boulevard (FL 884) and Burnt Store Road (CR 765) into an expressway, but it is only in the planning stages (30% submittal) and if it happens it will be some time before construction starts, and that will be at least two decades too late considering the current amount of traffic tie ups in the metropolitan area.

Urban Prairie Schooner

Quote from: Darkangel on January 23, 2009, 12:02:13 AM
Baton Rouge immediately comes to mind, even though the population isn't /that/ high in the grand scheme of things.

Indeed, BR may be the classic example in this case for medium sized cities.

SimMoonXP

Poway, California doesn't have any freeway networks due never happen for building a CA-56 and CA-125 freeways while Poway was rural town in 1960s to 1970s. it shown in Thomas Bros Maps since 1967 to 1980s something.

Voyager

Colorado Springs, CO probably wins this one. 350,000 people and only one actual freeway going through it.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

Chris

Greybear

My money's on Austin, Texas. As far as interstates, all they have is I-35, and that gets pretty bogged down most of the day, regardless of what time of the day it is. 

When I was a driver for Greyhound, I cringed every time I had to go to Austin.

That city needs some major help and beltways.

Voyager

Spokane, WA also has a very underdeveloped freeway system.

Revive 755

Indianapolis could use a better system with either I-74 and I-69 extended inside I-465 or a better bypass route.  Maybe an I-274 from Crawfordsville to I-70 near New Libson via Lebanon, Anderson, and Newcastle, plus a new route for future I-69 through traffic to bypass I-465.

Freewayjim

Austin TX, Charlotte NC & Washington DC (The original plans were fine)
Check out my highway videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/Freewayjim

Voyager

I'd consider Charlottes to be getting better now with the loop being almost completed...

un1

Thunder Bay, Ontario...

We meet all interstate and 400 series highway (Ontario's interstates) standards but we still don't have a freeway.  :no:

Though we have 2 controlled access expressways. Not freeways though.
Moderator of the Canada and Off Topic boards.

Thunder Bay Expressway - Highway 61 and 11/17 Ontario - Thunder Bay, Ontario

exit322

Cleveland's hardly "under developed" by the standards proposed here, but it's hardly developed enough downtown to handle traffic now-a-days, especially with the Innerbelt Bridge deemed unsafe for trucks a couple months back.  With it down to three lanes each way (I think) from four, traffic going into downtown Cleveland's pretty awful from all sides.

njroadhorse

Albuquerque's is the most underdeveloped for large cities
Pittsburgh's is getting better but still dismal
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

John

I can't believe no one has said San Francisco. No freeways in the entire cities besides South of Market and the Southeast (ghetto) part.
They came, they went, they took my image...

Freewayjim

Quote from: voyager on January 23, 2009, 10:39:03 PM
I'd consider Charlottes to be getting better now with the loop being almost completed...

I agree but the inner city freeways are really under built.

travelinmiles

I believe it US 74 that proceeds east of Charlotte should've been a freeway.  But I would say that Philadelphia, Washington, and Baltimore are underdeveloped as well as Memphis.  Much of this is due to cancellations, which in some cases is good because much of these plans were overkill.

Revive 755

Quote from: travelinmiles on January 25, 2009, 08:04:11 PM
I believe it US 74 that proceeds east of Charlotte should've been a freeway.  But I would say that Philadelphia, Washington, and Baltimore are underdeveloped as well as Memphis.  Much of this is due to cancellations, which in some cases is good because much of these plans were overkill.

Overkill?  Could you please elaborate? 

I think Memphis could have used I-40 completed through a tunnel under Overton Park, an extension of TN 300 to a new river bridge for a rerouted I-55, and US 78 upgraded to a freeway to at least I-240, if not somehow tying into the unbuilt section of I-40 inside the I-240 loop.

FLRoads

Another city that comes to mind is Lexington, KY, population over 530,000 residents as of 2007.  With only two interstates, I-64 and I-75, serving the north and eastern quadrants, this inland metropolis has a very underdeveloped freeway network.  There is no "true" beltway to serve the residents of the city, and I don't count New Circle Road (KY 4) as it A) does not directly connect with I-64 or I-75 (as it was built before them) and B) it is not a full fledged freeway (there are still a few miles of at grade intersections in the northeast quadrant).  Man-O-War Boulevard is no better as it is nothing more than a glorified arterial that has spurred sprawl over the years.  And all the US Highways that spoke out from the center have also served as sprawl inducers.  As far as I know, there are no current plans to extend freeway mileage in the area.

travelinmiles

Quote from: Revive 755 on January 25, 2009, 09:52:36 PM

I agree with you about Memphis.  I think a nice depressed or decked I-40 would have had minimal impact through the central city.  I was mainly referring to the other cities.
Overkill?  Could you please elaborate? 

I think Memphis could have used I-40 completed through a tunnel under Overton Park, an extension of TN 300 to a new river bridge for a rerouted I-55, and US 78 upgraded to a freeway to at least I-240, if not somehow tying into the unbuilt section of I-40 inside the I-240 loop.

Fixed BBC error - DTP

Voyager

I think that Modesto could really use another freeway.

SSOWorld

Madison, WI - it has only the substandard beltine around the south and west sides which is essentially US 12 rerouted around the city,The Interstates on the east side, but nothing downtown (not like we can fit anything through there anymore) and nothing around the north side.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Freewayjim

How is Baltimore underdeveloped? Even though several routes were cancelled it still has alot iof freeways, especially for a city it's size. It's the only place I think where you can be on an Interstate (I-95) and have 3 Interstate exits in a row (Exit 46 I-895, Exit 47, I-195, Exit 49 I-695), that hardly sounds underdeveloped to me.

ComputerGuy

Undeveloped: Bellingham, WA (one four-lane freeway)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.