News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: bob7374 on May 31, 2017, 11:39:06 PM
In addition; note the odd location/position of the upright arrow, placed in-between the 44 & 58 shields on the lower D8 LGS.  Typically, MassDOT places the upright arrow either to the left or right of the route shield(s).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

SectorZ

Quote from: bob7374 on May 31, 2017, 11:39:06 PM
Two of three from a 1/4 mile stretch of the same route (MA 58) in Carver. The first southbound, just after the interchange with US 44. One has to do a double take that they are not in New Jersey or Delaware:

One-quarter mile further south, but heading back toward US 44, you come across these recently installed guide (paddle) signs:

There's also another one at the intersection seen in the distance (not pictured). The guide signs closer to the US 44 interchange are older and correct.

Such a complete mess - they made US 44 a state route plus put up brand new signs routing people down old 44 and not the freeway portion that's been there for over a decade.

okroads

IL 24 shield on U.S. 24 just west of IL 103, taken 5/28/17:
DSC01032 by Eric Stuve, on Flickr

US71

US 10 for AR 10 in Little Rock.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hotdogPi

Just so you know, I created a separate thread for state/US mixups to go in, so that this thread would not grow as quickly. (You don't have to, but if you want, you can delete the post here and put it in the other one. This applies to anyone who has posted a state/US mixup in this thread.)
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

jbnv

Not quite sure if this is an error or of LADOTD made 3003 a southbound route for only 100 feet.

South 3003 or East 3003? by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

formulanone

Quote from: jbnv on June 09, 2017, 11:13:19 AM
Not quite sure if this is an error or of LADOTD made 3003 a southbound route for only 100 feet.

South 3003 or East 3003? by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr

I've noticed some short-ish Louisiana routes don't easily follow the east-west/north-south pattern, so they avoid the directional banner altogether, like Texas.

kkt

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 31, 2017, 06:03:33 PM
Stanley Roberts of KRON-4 in San Francisco tweeted this from San Leandro.

D'oh!

amroad17

Like those OLNY pavement markings.  :D
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

thenetwork

Quote from: amroad17 on June 16, 2017, 11:40:52 PM
Like those OLNY pavement markings.  :D

Or SHCOOL...not cool!

CNGL-Leudimin

Or the SOTP ones. And these have happened in both sides of the pond :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

jakeroot

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on June 17, 2017, 07:54:35 AM

A bit more understandable in España, though. Do stop signs or pavement markings ever read "Alto"?

roadman65

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/35506093406/
This one here has CR 39 shown for the guide to the right ahead while the following c/d ramp is shown as FL 39.  However, once off the first ramp the signs at the end of the ramp show it as FL 39!  In fact all of what is to be Hillsorough County Road 39 is signed as FL 39 throughout Plant City.

Apparently someone at FDOT did a big goof as there was no official move of State Road 39 onto Alexander Street and no commissioning of a Hillsborough County Road 39 in Plant City using what was always FL 39.

So until both FDOT and Plant City decide which alignment is going to be FL 39, it is safe to say that it never moved and all signs still show FL 39 as is on Buchman Highway and all other city streets is uses within Plant City is the real Route 39 and the county designation is not really applied as well as Alexander Street being officially SR 39A.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

mrsman

Quote from: HTM Duke on May 30, 2017, 08:42:16 PM

And this one is problematic if one were to follow it explicitly, given that Canal Rd is one-way westbound during the PM rush:
Canal Rd approaching Arizona Ave: https://goo.gl/maps/ZiVTBxeiyNy

This sign is actually correct.  Keep one lane through this section during the afternoon rush.  And then up ahead at Arizona, all traffic must turn left in the afternoon because Canal is one-way the wrong way at this point.

But it is confusing enough that I believe electronic signs are warranted for this stretch.

Another aspect I hate is that there should be a warning about this on the Beltway.   Traffic heading into the city during the afternoon rush should only take the GW Pkwy as the Clara Barton becomes one-way, the wrong way, a short distance south of the Beltway to match the reversible nature of Canal Rd.

1995hoo

I was unable to get a picture of this, but if anyone here drives on southbound 14 Street in DC passing the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, see if you can get a picture of the new sign that says "PEDESTIRANS" are prohibited.

Quote from: jakeroot on June 17, 2017, 03:40:36 PM

A bit more understandable in España, though. Do stop signs or pavement markings ever read "Alto"?

I've seen "ALTO" signs on Cozumel.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jakeroot

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 03, 2017, 10:55:57 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on June 17, 2017, 03:40:36 PM

I've seen "ALTO" signs on Cozumel.

My understanding was that Mexico used "ALTO" for all stop signs. Vienna signatories seem to use STOP, regardless of primary language (although I imagine some countries use their primary language anyways).

J N Winkler

Turkey uses DUR (durmak = to stop).  I think PARE is the norm in South America.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Rothman

Not a road sign, but I'm sure this billboard's been noticed before by one of you.  Straight ahead at a T intersection?

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Rothman on July 19, 2017, 10:40:19 PM
Not a road sign, but I'm sure this billboard's been noticed before by one of you.  Straight ahead at a T intersection?

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Scott5114

The I-35 and SH-9 shields are swapped, leading to an interesting "west I-35" error.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

paulthemapguy

LOL West on I-35...That's pretty funny.  I enjoyed that last post haha
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

rickmastfan67

ColossalBlocks

I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

JoePCool14

Quote from: ColossalBlocks on July 25, 2017, 11:34:11 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 25, 2017, 10:48:37 PM
Ooops?  lol. :bigass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M4HyRTd7Ps

How the hell does the DOT crew not notice it?

I'm honestly gawking more at those left turn arrows. They look horrible, and are the wrong colors!

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

mrsman

Quote from: JoePCool14 on July 29, 2017, 09:58:41 PM
Quote from: ColossalBlocks on July 25, 2017, 11:34:11 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 25, 2017, 10:48:37 PM
Ooops?  lol. :bigass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M4HyRTd7Ps

How the hell does the DOT crew not notice it?

I'm honestly gawking more at those left turn arrows. They look horrible, and are the wrong colors!

For those who did not click through to watch the news report, this is a bridge of I-25 over Central Ave in Albuquerque.  So it is not merely the problem of labeling I-40 as N/S instead of E/W, it is putting in the wrong highway symbol altogether.

But, if you take this ramp on I-25 north, the next exit is for I-40.  So an appropriate sign would say I-25 North (Santa Fe) to I-40.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.