News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

MI: Tanker Fire Destroys 9 Mile Rd. Overpass of I-75 in Hazel Park

Started by DanTheMan414, July 16, 2009, 03:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanTheMan414

http://www.freep.com/article/20090716/NEWS05/907160605/Police-name-drivers-in-explosive-I-75-wreck

A huge tanker fire along I-75 in Hazel Park, MI that took place on Wednesday evening (7/15) resulted in the collapse of the portion of the 9 Mile Rd. overpass that went over the NB I-75 lanes.  The accident resulted in several explosions, and a huge inferno that took more than 3 hours for firefighters to gain control.  I watched it play out on TV last night, and it was incredible seeing the sights that played out there at the interchange, along with the hundreds of curious residents who were watching the action from nearby overpasses and from behind police lines west of the SB I-75 Service Drive.  Smoke could be seen, and fuel smelled from as far away as eastern portions of the City of Warren.

Given everything that happened, it is incredible that there were only three injuries that came about as a result.  The remainder of the 9 Mile Rd. overpass is being demolished over the next couple of days, and rebuilding of the bridge, which was just rebuilt in 2008, will be forthcoming, and will cost somewhere between $1 and $2 million.  9 Mile Rd. traffic will be detouring for awhile to come, needless to say, and I-75, which has an ADT of 160,000 vehicles, is closed indefinitely between M-102 and I-696, pending review of the pavement condition once the bridge is totally demolished.  It could be closed anywhere from a few days to several weeks.

Click on the link above to see more specific details about the tanker fire from the Detroit Free Press website.

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

DanTheMan414

Hellfighter

And to think we just got I-75 reopened in the Gateway Area, and now this...  :pan:

rawmustard

They got both directions of I-75 open at about 1 this afternoon. Obviously, there'll have to be some lane closures when they start rebuilding the overpass, but at least traffic is flowing again.

Hellfighter

Mergingtraffic

A similiar accident happened in Bridgeport, CT in 2004 on Interstate 95.  At that time the DOT was widening I-95 from 6 to 8 lanes and the construction was narrow.  A 21 year old cutoff a tanker truck.  The truck flipped and exploded and burnt the bridge to a crisp.  No injuries I believe.

But, the state had a new bridge open in no time.  The highway was only closed for a couple days.  They really got the highway opened and the bridge rebuilt quickly. 

In these type of accidents, the DOT works around the clock....hopefully here too.

However, the 21 year old was only given a ticket for an unsafe lane change.... no bill for the huge clean-up cost...just an unsafe lane change. 
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Sykotyk

Quote from: doofy103 on July 20, 2009, 09:58:27 PM
However, the 21 year old was only given a ticket for an unsafe lane change.... no bill for the huge clean-up cost...just an unsafe lane change. 

Sadly, with tough consequences, drivers will consistently not care about driving poorly.

Sykotyk

interstate696

I was on that segment of I-75 days before the collapse on the way to a Tiger's Game with my family.  Yeah too bad it was just build (bridge) but they have to do something about that 50 mph curve which is scary driving and tends to choke up traffic since the normal speed limit is 70.

Tom

This reminds me of a similar incident in Jan. 1971 when a tanker truck fire caused an M-21 (now I-69) overpass at I-75/US-10/US-23 to have to be rebuilt.  If I recall correctly, nobody was hurt, thank God. :coffee:

Hellfighter

mightyace

Quote from: Hellfighter on December 10, 2009, 03:34:38 PM
Epic Tread Revival! Holy S***, the bridge is already done!?  :-o

How come when a bridge is damaged/destroyed by accident it can be replaced in days/weeks/months while a planned replacement takes months/years?

I'm assuming it's the cost for the rush job.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

tvketchum

Don't forget, a repair or replacement due to crash damage only has to meet the design standard of it's original construction. Any upgrade, modernization and schedueld replacement has to meet the current design standard.

njroadhorse

Quote from: tvketchum on December 10, 2009, 05:59:22 PM
Don't forget, a repair or replacement due to crash damage only has to meet the design standard of it's original construction. Any upgrade, modernization and schedueld replacement has to meet the current design standard.
Hence why the I-35W bridge didn't take that long.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

rawmustard

Quote from: tvketchum on December 10, 2009, 05:59:22 PM

Of course, it should be mentioned that the overpass destroyed was rebuilt in 2008. The article to which Hellfighter linked describes why this replacement job could go so fast.

Brandon

Quote from: Hellfighter on December 10, 2009, 03:34:38 PM
Epic Tread Revival! Holy S***, the bridge is already done!?  :-o

It's always nice to see things reopened well before schedule.  Congrats MDOT!
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

mightyace

Quote from: Brandon on December 11, 2009, 01:16:25 PM
It's always nice to see things reopened well before schedule.  Congrats MDOT!

Very good point, Brandon.  We all go on and on (with good reason though) about the failings of the various DOTs and Turnpike Authorities and it is only fair that we praise them when they do something right!  :clap:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.