News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-20 in the Vicksburg, MS area - 1973

Started by M3100, August 09, 2020, 11:38:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M3100

I am re-tracing a trip from early 1973, and what I can tell, most of I-20 was open across Louisiana and Mississippi at that time.  The only gap was between Tallulah, LA and Vicksburg, MS, where parallel US80 was still the main route.  I take it this was for the I-20 Mississippi River bridge, which opened some time later.

r15-1

The I-20 Mississippi River Bridge opened February 14, 1973. That left the only I-20 gap in Louisiana between the Industrial Drive exit in Bossier City east to where I-20 crosses US 79-80 just west of Dixie Inn. That stretch opened in early July 1975.

bwana39

Was it at Industrial Drive? I had thought (people older than me talking ) that it was OLD Minden Road (there is no exit there) between Airline and the current industrial drive,
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

bwana39

Quote from: r15-1 on September 23, 2020, 05:05:58 AM
The I-20 Mississippi River Bridge opened February 14, 1973. That left the only I-20 gap in Louisiana between the Industrial Drive exit in Bossier City east to where I-20 crosses US 79-80 just west of Dixie Inn. That stretch opened in early July 1975.

My first crossing of the I-20 Vicksburg Bridge didn't come until 1981. In 1976, I was 15 with a learner's permit.  We had gone to Tupelo and traveled down the Natchez Trace Parkway to Jackson. At Jackson, we left the parkway and headed home (We spent the night in Metro Jackson. ) I was driving. At Vicksburg, the Westbound side of the bridge was detoured to the old bridge. Traffic slowed but out on the bridge traffic was at or above the 55 MPH national speed limit. Up over Washington street I went. The truck behind me made a throaty downshift and was accelerating. I was scared someone was going to pass me on that narrow bridge. I survived. I have NEVER been so happy to see Delta LA in my life!
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

r15-1

Quote from: bwana39 on September 23, 2020, 08:40:23 PM
Was it at Industrial Drive? I had thought (people older than me talking ) that it was OLD Minden Road (there is no exit there) between Airline and the current industrial drive,
I-20 eastbound ended at Industrial Drive for years with through traffic detoured on the short stretch back to US 79-80.

cjk374

Quote from: r15-1 on September 27, 2020, 07:49:00 PM
Quote from: bwana39 on September 23, 2020, 08:40:23 PM
I-20 eastbound ended at Industrial Drive for years with through traffic detoured on the short stretch back to US 79-80.

That makes sense with the way the concrete pavement changes styles east of the Industrial Drive exit. The pavement east of there is the mid-70s "rapid fire" concrete paving/joints. West of there, the joints had a wider spacing.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.