News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

K-10 safety improvement status

Started by route56, November 02, 2011, 02:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

route56

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2011/nov/02/k-10-panel-request-safety-barriers/

It's been a while since I've brought this up, so, in a nutshell review...

April 16 - a cross-median crash near Eudora on K-10 took the lives of two people - the driver of the car that crossed over, and a 5 year old boy whose mother happens to be a friend of this roadgeek.

Since then, there has been a clamor to improve the safety of K-10, with the main suggestion being to install a cable median barrier. The Mayor of Eudora wrote to the Governor, the Governor directed KDOT to look into it, and to get involved with the local stakeholders.

This is culminating in a meeting that was held this morning in Eudora.

I slept in, but according to a facebook post from my friend, as well as tweets from Pat Quinn (KDOT's Social Media Manager - AKA @KDOTHQ), KDOT has in fact agreed to install cable median barrier on two stretches of K-10 near Eudora. The estimated cost is $800,000.

EDIT: Here's the KDOT press release: http://www.ksdot.org/PDF_Files/LocalCommitteeAnnouncesRecommendationstoAddressK10SafetyConcerns.pdf
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

route56

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2011/nov/02/kdot-approves-cable-median-barriers-two-stretches-/

Here's the pertinent details:

• Mill and overlay on K-10 is ongoing, including paving of the gravel shoulders and installation of rumble strips.

• KDOT will put to bid plans to install cable barriers from Church Street (CR 1061) to N 1400 Road (CR 442), and near the K-7 junction, where the greatest number of cross-over collisions have occurred

• Some people on the committee suggested installing cable barriers from Eudora to DeSoto. However, there was not a clear consensus on the proposal, so that has been tabled for now.

• KDOT is hoping to get the cable medians up to bids in six months, instead of the usual nine. That would allow the cables to be in place by the end of 2012. When discussing this at the May Roadgeek Meet, I personally thought that even 2013 was optimistic.

• Although Johnson County has offered to pick up 20 percent of the tab, and Douglas County was anticipating a contribution request, the project will be funded 100 percent out of KDOT's fund.

• My friend is happy with the decision, and her daughter has made a full recovery from the accident (and will likely be a future cheerleader ;))

R.P.K.

route56

While perusing the KDOT FTP site (which is basically a public scratchpad of information), I found some preliminary plans for the cable median barrier plans.

The KDOT project number is 10-106 KA-2624-01 (The "106" means that the project is in multiple counties; in this case, Douglas [23] and Johnson [46])

R.P.K.

Alps

Quote from: route56 on November 09, 2011, 04:07:11 PM
  • My friend is happy with the decision, and her daughter has made a full recovery from the accident (and will likely be a future cheerleader ;))
The way you worded that makes me think you have to stay 500 feet away from said daughter.

route56

Quote from: Steve on February 08, 2012, 09:08:36 PM
Quote from: route56 on November 09, 2011, 04:07:11 PM
The way you worded that makes me think you have to stay 500 feet away from said daughter.

Coco is way too young for me.... my cousin Cyrus, On the other hand, would probably love to lift her over his head.

R.P.K.

agentsteel53

route56, you're kind of an idiot.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

US71

Quote from: route56 on February 09, 2012, 07:14:08 PM

Coco is way too young for me.... my cousin Cyrus, On the other hand, would probably love to lift her over his head.

Shouldn't this go to Off Topic? Though I'm glad your friend had a full recovery after her accident.  :clap:
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Alps

route56

Quote from: US71 on February 09, 2012, 10:22:53 PM
Shouldn't this go to Off Topic? Though I'm glad your friend had a full recovery after her accident.  :clap:

In the context of this thread, the off-topicality is a sidebar to the main topic - the planned installation of cable median barriers and other improvements to K-10 in Douglas and Johnson Counties.

Schteve, zis is AARoads. Ve don't KRN here.

R.P.K.

Alps

Quote from: route56 on February 10, 2012, 11:54:41 PM
Quote from: US71 on February 09, 2012, 10:22:53 PM

In the context of this thread, the off-topicality is a sidebar to the main topic - the planned installation of cable median barriers and other improvements to K-10 in Douglas and Johnson Counties.

Schteve, zis is AARoads. Ve don't KRN here.
Ve TAHNGO!

route56

Break out the dancing shoes. The K-10 barrier project was awarded to Gray Beal construction with a winning bid of $1.2 million.

R.P.K.

route56

Photos of the Cable Median installation...

R.P.K.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.