News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

"MODOT SUCKS"

Started by Scott5114, August 05, 2012, 10:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

I was on US 60 in south-central Missouri last week, and I saw two signs on private property near the road reading "MODOT SUCKS". Here's the interesting thing: they were separated by a good 30 miles or so. I didn't see any obvious deficiencies in the highway...it was good quality standard MO expressway. Anyone know why the locals seem to have a beef with MoDOT?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jnewkirk77

I've seen those. I think there must have been some animosity about the widening of the road to 4 lanes over the past few years.  That's the best I can come up with.

ShawnP

I do know MODOT quality of work sucks. Stupid thin lift overlay on Interstates. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...............MODOT this pavement on I-435 around the airport in 2008. It didn't last ONE winter before huge potholes and crumbling pavement. The 25 year old concrete was better than that thin lift chit. My car got damaged by pavement coming apart (hit my front end, destroyed windshield washer bottle, ruined tire and did metal damage around tire). MODOT refused to pay them cheap SOB's.

InterstateNG

I demand an apology.

NYYPhil777

Quote from: ShawnP on August 06, 2012, 10:00:42 AM
I do know MODOT quality of work sucks. Stupid thin lift overlay on Interstates. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...............MODOT this pavement on I-435 around the airport in 2008. It didn't last ONE winter before huge potholes and crumbling pavement. The 25 year old concrete was better than that thin lift chit. My car got damaged by pavement coming apart (hit my front end, destroyed windshield washer bottle, ruined tire and did metal damage around tire). MODOT refused to pay them cheap SOB's.
I agree with you. Around where I live, however, St. Peters roads are HORRIBLE. You can easily speed on them, and it's a stroke of luck if the road lasts a year before it gets potholes and the pavement crumbles. IMO, compared to MoDOT, it's the local road departments that suck.
Back on subject, it looks like the locals either hate the freeway or just wish the freeway can get completed sooner. That's my opinon, though.
(from Blazing Saddles)
Jim: Where you headed, cowboy?
Bart: Nowhere special.
Jim: Nowhere special? I always wanted to go there.
Bart: Come on.

-NYYPhil777

Duke87

MoDOT may suck... but at least MoDOT cares!
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Revive 755

And at least MoDOT is not locked into lead-only or split-phased signal timing.

kphoger

Personally, I think the widening of 60 across Missouri is the best thing they've done in recent history–up there with the widening of 65 between Springfield and Branson, which was completely necessary.  I think it's strange that people would have hard feelings toward MoDOT for widening the highway.  From what I've seen (admittedly, I haven't driven it since 2008, when the four-laning was not yet complete), I find it hard to understand why people would be upset with MoDOT about the widening.  The towns along the way seem to have been accommodated fairly well.  And, more to the point, people used to avoid 60 because of the slow going, preferring to go the greater distance up to I-70.  Now it's a more appealing route across the state, which one would think would bring more business and therefore more money to the area.

Maybe the signs refer to a completely different issue.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Anyone who complains about MoDOT has never had to live in Oklahoma . . .

Special K

Quote from: Duke87 on August 06, 2012, 08:20:32 PM
MoDOT may suck... but at least MoDOT cares!

Or so they claim on all of their DMS.

NYYPhil777

At least, for now, Missourians don't have to fear having to pay a toll to use a freeway in this state.
I've heard the Will Rogers Turnpike (I-44) was a pain in the butt.
(from Blazing Saddles)
Jim: Where you headed, cowboy?
Bart: Nowhere special.
Jim: Nowhere special? I always wanted to go there.
Bart: Come on.

-NYYPhil777

Scott5114

Quote from: NYYPhil777 on August 09, 2012, 02:24:10 AM
At least, for now, Missourians don't have to fear having to pay a toll to use a freeway in this state.
I've heard the Will Rogers Turnpike (I-44) was a pain in the butt.

Oklahoma has 10 turnpikes; 3 of them are on I-44 (H.E. Bailey, Turner, and Will Rogers).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.