News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

KDOT/KTA merger proposal resurfaces, with Brownback's endorsement

Started by J N Winkler, January 16, 2013, 01:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

route56

I believe Rep. Hutton is in favor of keeping the Turnpike as a toll road under the authority of KDOT.

The apparent contradiction that you are drawing is that, while the current statuate does stipulate that, once all turnpike bonds are paid off, the KTA dissolves and KDOT assumes responsibility, KDOT is allowed to continue to run the Turnpike as a toll road.

Whether or not there ever was a mandate to eventually remove the tolls on the Turnpike will require some digging into legislative history. Watson Library should be quiet this week....
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

route56

FINAL!

HB 2334 has gone through the senate, the conference committee, and (apparantly) has been signed by Gov. Brownback.

Here's the final bill's summary:
Quote from: Kansas Legislature
HB 2234 names the Secretary of Transportation (Secretary) as the director of operations of the Kansas Turnpike Authority (KTA). The director of operations will be responsible for the daily administration of the toll roads, bridges, structures and facilities constructed, maintained, or operated by the Authority, and the director or the director's designee would have such powers as are necessary to carry out those responsibilities. This provision will expire July 1, 2016. The bill provides the KTA cannot use KTA toll or other revenue in ways other than those established in existing law: maintaining, repairing and operating turnpike projects; paying principal and interest on bonds and creating reserves for the same; fixing and collecting tolls; and entering into certain types of contracts.

The bill changes authority for contracting between KTA and the Kansas Department of Transportation (KDOT) for three years. The bill adds an effective date of July 1, 2016, to provisions in existing law regarding contracting between the KTA and KDOT (generally, allowing KTA to contract with KDOT for use of KDOT resources for certain types of work related to KTA projects).

In a new section, the bill states the KTA retains its separate identity, powers, and duties as an instrumentality of the state; however, the bill in this new section requires duplication of effort, facilities, and equipment between KDOT and the KTA be minimized in operation and maintenance of turnpikes and highways in the state. The KTA and the Secretary are authorized to take actions including the temporary transfer of personnel, property and equipment from the KTA to the Secretary and from the Secretary to the KTA. Further, the bill requires the integrity of the bonded indebtedness be maintained through the actions of the KTA. The provisions of this new section will expire July 1, 2016.

The bill also repeals a number of statutes specific to certain turnpike projects and a 1978 statute authorizing KDOT to sell certain land in Pottawatomie County.

R.P.K.

route56

Somewhat related to the subject.... Current KTA CEO Michael Johnston has announced his retirement, effective June 15th.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2013/apr/26/turnpike-leader-johnston-leaving/

HB 2334 makes the secretary of transportation the ex officio director of operations of the Turnpike Authority, with essentially the same role as the CEO.

Although Mr. Johnston indicated that he had contemplated retiring prior to the introduction of HB 2334, some on the political left seem to think that he was forced out (Mr. Johnston is also a former Democrat legislator)

R.P.K.

J N Winkler

The Wichita Eagle's story (with more quotes from Johnston) is here:

http://www.kansas.com/2013/04/26/2779203/turnpike-head-to-resign-effective.html

I basically see no reason not to buy the story that he was ready to retire, but I am a little curious as to why he has made June 15 his last day at work when HB 2234 takes effect on July 1, 2013.  HB 2234 makes the KDOT Secretary ex officio "director of operations" of the Turnpike and gives him the authority to designate someone to carry out the functions associated with this role.  A leaving date of June 15 may mean just that Johnston is taking his accumulated paid leave before he formally separates from the Turnpike Authority (probably on June 30 to close out the fiscal year), or it may mean he is putting himself out of the way in case someone comes down from Topeka to measure the drapes in his office.

http://www.kslegislature.org/li/b2013_14/measures/documents/hb2234_enrolled.pdf
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

So what effect is this going to have on the Kansas Turnpike itself? Are we going to see signs done KDOT-style, more use of Portland cement concrete, etc.? Or are things going to stay situation normal?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 27, 2013, 01:16:31 AMSo what effect is this going to have on the Kansas Turnpike itself? Are we going to see signs done KDOT-style, more use of Portland cement concrete, etc.? Or are things going to stay situation normal?

I don't expect to see any changes other than a few minor asset and personnel transfers.  One thing that could happen that I would welcome, however, is consolidation of Turnpike contract lettings with the KDOT monthly letting.  This would result in Turnpike construction plans being put online, where I could simply download them by script instead of having to monitor Turnpike lettings separately and make special requests when a contract comes along that has signing.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.