News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Unpopular opinions (non road related)

Started by Roadgeekteen, March 30, 2021, 09:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 15, 2021, 05:33:41 PM

Quote from: kernals12 on April 15, 2021, 02:19:28 PM
But you gotta consider the benefits of free books and furniture

I think that's pretty overrated. Occasionally there was eye-catching stuff at the Goldsby dump, but I can't remember us ever taking anything home after giving it a cursory look-over and discovering why it was thrown out (usually it was broken or otherwise worn out). Certainly didn't justify the added time and energy of having to dump it ourselves.

The only time I got someone's cast-off stuff for free actually happened here in Norman (trash pickup city), when someone the next street over ended their garage sale by marking everything left over down to $0 and leaving it unattended. I got a nice set of small octagonal dishes out of it. There was furniture and stuff too, but it was clear why it hadn't sold.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure my wife and I have ever actually purchased furniture.

Pretty much everything we own was given to us secondhand.  No, wait:  we do own an old recliner that we bought at a church garage sale–at our own church.  And I guess we own one other chair that was bought for us as a Christmas gift, so, even though we didn't buy that one either, it's not secondhand.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

GaryV

Quote from: kphoger on April 16, 2021, 10:21:01 AM
... we do own an old recliner that we bought at a church garage sale–at our own church ...

Good thing you bought it.  Otherwise it might have ended up in the Youth Group room.  In our church, it seems like most of their furniture is what wasn't good enough to sell at the rummage sale.

kphoger

Quote from: GaryV on April 16, 2021, 01:18:04 PM

Quote from: kphoger on April 16, 2021, 10:21:01 AM
... we do own an old recliner that we bought at a church garage sale–at our own church ...

Good thing you bought it.  Otherwise it might have ended up in the Youth Group room.  In our church, it seems like most of their furniture is what wasn't good enough to sell at the rummage sale.

That's where it came from.

Somewhere → Youth group → Church garage sale → Our house

At the same garage sale, I also found the Top Gun soundtrack on cassette, which promptly got plenty of use in the car.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on April 16, 2021, 01:29:50 PM
At the same garage sale, I also found the Top Gun soundtrack on cassette, which promptly got plenty of use in the car.

Did you find the highway to the danger zone?

kphoger

Quote from: formulanone on April 20, 2021, 12:40:30 AM

Quote from: kphoger on April 16, 2021, 01:29:50 PM

Did you find the highway to the danger zone?

I was nowhere near I-77 at the time.
Male pronouns, please.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: kphoger on April 20, 2021, 09:56:33 AM

Wow.  I had seen aerial photos in the Charleston Daily Mail, but never saw the ground photos.  My aunt and uncle lived near Exit 114 when I was growing up, but that's the stretch of Interstate in West Virginia that I've been on the least.  You can see that BGS from old US-21 (now WV-622, part of the "back road" northwest bypass around Charleston).

hbelkins

Quote from: Dirt Roads on April 20, 2021, 12:55:47 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 20, 2021, 09:56:33 AM

Wow.  I had seen aerial photos in the Charleston Daily Mail, but never saw the ground photos.  My aunt and uncle lived near Exit 114 when I was growing up, but that's the stretch of Interstate in West Virginia that I've been on the least.  You can see that BGS from old US-21 (now WV-622, part of the "back road" northwest bypass around Charleston).

Last time I was through there, you could not even tell that the gas line explosion had occurred.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

webny99

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Max Rockatansky

^^^

Oakland is nowhere near the hell hole (anymore) that people make it out to be.  There are a lot of nice areas of the city with lots of outdoor recreation opportunities.

Quote from: kphoger on April 22, 2021, 05:09:42 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 22, 2021, 04:53:12 PM
Vancouver > San Francisco

San Diego > San Francisco

I don't know if that's exactly unpopular around my parts, most people I know prefer San Diego (I also do barely).

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

webny99

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 22, 2021, 05:11:11 PM
I don't know if that's exactly unpopular around my parts, most people I know prefer San Diego (I also do barely).

I've never been to San Diego, but I would say San Diego > Los Angeles without having been to either city. San Diego vs. San Fran is tougher though.

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 22, 2021, 05:26:06 PM
St. Paul > Minneapolis

Now I'm curious how unpopular that really is. Personally I haven't spent much time in St. Paul, but at least none what I have seen makes me think it's worse than Minneapolis (except for the part of I-35E that's basically a parkway and has an absurdly low speed limit, as I recall).

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: webny99 on April 22, 2021, 08:50:28 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 22, 2021, 05:11:11 PM

I've never been to San Diego, but I would say San Diego > Los Angeles without having been to either city. San Diego vs. San Fran is tougher though.

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 22, 2021, 05:26:06 PM
St. Paul > Minneapolis

Now I'm curious how unpopular that really is. Personally I haven't spent much time in St. Paul, but at least none what I have seen makes me think it's worse than Minneapolis (except for the part of I-35E that's basically a parkway and has an absurdly low speed limit, as I recall).

Here is a hot take; I would rather visit Fresno and Sacramento over Los Angeles.  Both have way more to offer in terms of nearby recreational opportunities and you don't have to deal with all the congestion BS that Los Angeles has.  Los Angeles really is a grimy city unto itself, I don't know why people associate anything glamorous with the place. 

CoreySamson

San Diego > Tuscon > Los Angeles

Baton Rouge > New Orleans
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

zachary_amaryllis

clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: CoreySamson on April 22, 2021, 09:49:31 PM
San Diego > Tuscon > Los Angeles

Baton Rouge > New Orleans

I think that I prefer Tucson given it backs up to Saguaro National Park and the weather was always nice climbing the Catalina Highway to Summerhaven. 

I never really understood the appeal of New Orleans.  Even the French Quarter is in rough shape and I'm not really into getting tanked anyways. 

JayhawkCO

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on April 23, 2021, 11:11:33 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 22, 2021, 05:22:37 PM
San Francisco > San Francisco

fort collins > cheyenne

I don't think that's too unpopular.  Cheyenne sucks.  :D

Chris

formulanone

Quote from: jayhawkco on April 23, 2021, 12:25:50 PM

fort collins > cheyenne

Chris

Maybe I picked a bad fertilizer day, but Fort Collins smelled much worse.

Bruce

We should spin this off into a city bracket competition or something. Pairing up similar-sized cities for fairness.

Also, Seattle is still the most livable U.S. city on the West Coast.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Bruce on April 23, 2021, 04:25:15 PM
We should spin this off into a city bracket competition or something. Pairing up similar-sized cities for fairness.

Also, Seattle is still the most livable U.S. city on the West Coast.

Is it though with that huge cost of living problem it has?  That's a big issue in my book with livability that could have it lose in an upset to some other West Coast cities. 

TravelingBethelite

fort collins > cheyenne

Chris

On a similar note, the old joke goes, "why is Oklahoma so windy? 'cuz Texas sucks and Kansas blows..."
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: webny99 on April 22, 2021, 08:50:28 PM

It's an unpopular opinion growing up on the Minneapolis side like I did.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

JayhawkCO

Quote from: formulanone on April 23, 2021, 04:09:48 PM

fort collins > cheyenne

Chris

Maybe I picked a bad fertilizer day, but Fort Collins smelled much worse.

Normally Greeley is the smelly kid when they burn the blood.

Chris

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.