News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Western O'Hare Bypass / Elgin-O'Hare - Control Cities?

Started by Stratuscaster, August 11, 2013, 08:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stratuscaster

Was starting to think about signage for the upcoming Western O'Hare Bypass (I-490?) and the extended Elgin-O'Hare Tollway (IL-390?) and wondered...what would be the control cities?

For the EOT, the easy answer is "duh, Elgin." But with the EOT not reaching Elgin anytime soon, that didn't seem right - besides, some "To US-20/Elgin" signage would address that. Perhaps "Northwest Suburbs"? On the eastbound side, with no actual western ORD access in place, "O'Hare Airport" didn't seem right for that, but I suppose it's that or "Chicago."

For the WOB, southbound would seem to be "Indiana" to mimic I-294, and I guess "Rockford" for northbound...but that seems odd since I-290, which will not be that far away from the WOB exit on NB I-294, is already signed as "Rockford."

I also thought a blue-background control city of "O'Hare Cargo Area" would be appropriate for WOB, since it's probably the key use of the road until there's actually a western O'Hare access in place.

Thoughts? (I mean, other than of me spending time on this...I've got the time to spare.  :crazy:)

Joe The Dragon

NE2

Elgin. Control cities past the end are often the best option.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ET21

Elgin and O'Hare Airport, pretty obvious. Maybe a "Northwest Suburbs" going westbound if they want
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Brandon

Maybe.  The EOE lacks control cities currently.

Wright Blvd with the faux state route shields.

Roselle Road with all caps, white on green.

Irving Park Road with space for a route shield.

Lake Street with button copy and maybe space for a route shield.

I-290 with Thorndale Avenue and marked as "To Elgin-O'Hare Expy".

We'll see if Elgin and O'Hare become control cities when the widening and extension are finished.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hobsini2

Joe, I sure hope that Elk Grove was not a serious thought. Not a very important suburb let alone destination.

EOE should be Elgin and O'Hare. WOB should be Indiana and Northwest Suburbs or Rockford.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: hobsini2 on August 12, 2013, 02:10:10 PM
Joe, I sure hope that Elk Grove was not a serious thought. Not a very important suburb let alone destination.

EOE should be Elgin and O'Hare. WOB should be Indiana and Northwest Suburbs or Rockford.
well if you count Elk Grove as just being ElK Grove this exit and just count the west bypass as an long ramp.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.