News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Richmond (IL) bypass

Started by Revive 755, August 04, 2013, 10:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

Looks like the south end of the US 12 freeway in Wisconsin will be permanent.  From http://www.richmondbypass.com/uploads/Minutes/TAG4/min-011513-TAG-DCJ.pdf
QuoteThe USEPA, USACOE, and USFWS indicated that the alternative sections north of IL 173 and west of US 12 would not receive a permit and need to be removed from further consideration due to the high quality wetlands and upland bird habitat.

The remaining alternatives are more 'half bypasses' than a full bypass:
http://www.richmondbypass.com/uploads/Exhibits/PublicMeeting2/Exhibit%2012_Alternatives%20to%20Be%20Carried%20Forward.pdf

Joe The Dragon

what about some extreme ideas like a tunnel or elevated freeway?

How did state owned highway land become an bird habitat?

Can they route around it? Will this being cut down hurt the IL-53 / IL-120 work?

Brandon

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on August 05, 2013, 12:19:31 AM

That would require imaginative thinking from IDOT.  IDOT does not do imaginative thinking.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Revive 755

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on August 05, 2013, 12:19:31 AM

A tunnel would be way too expensive, and still fairly disruptive - would probably end up with a cut-and cover design.

Given that elevated sections are under consideration for parts of the IL 53 parkway, I think it is more of an issue with the permit issuers

Quote from: Joe the DragonHow did state owned highway land become an bird habitat?

I'd go with overzealous permit issuers again.  It just looks like open fields that could easily be replaced elsewhere.  I don't believe there are any endangered flightless birds in Illinois either that wouldn't relocate to a new area.

Quote from: Joe The DragonCan they route around it?

It does not appear so without requiring realignment of the freeway in Wisconsin.  Even then, it looks like the same problems could easily sink any other alignment option.

Quote from: Joe The DragonWill this being cut down hurt the IL-53 / IL-120 work?

The IL 53 parkway is a completely separate project.  ISTHA that IL 53 would be long done before any consideration of starting any tollway near Richmond - although given that on weekends WB IL 173 backs up from the US 12 intersection to the eastern boundary of Richmond, NB US 12 backs up from IL 173 to the railroad overpass north of the IL 31 intersection, and the IL 173 intersection with Wilmot Road develops quarter to half mile queues in all directions I would think ISTHA could have gotten some profits on a Super 2 starter tollway.

Although given the non-budging stance for wetlands on this corridor, I wouldn't be surprised if the IL 53 extension gets derailed again.  Certainly will be interesting to see how the 66 corridor at the other end of the state fares.
[/quote]

mgk920

These things CAN be mitigated and I would just let the whole issue fester until we have a new government in Washington, DC.

Mike

Brandon

Quote from: mgk920 on August 06, 2013, 11:23:19 AM
These things CAN be mitigated and I would just let the whole issue fester until we have a new government in Washington, DC.

Mike

That really doesn't factor into it as much.  The problem is the stagnation in Springfield, and as I said above, IDOT does not do imaginative thinking.  ISTHA does, but IDOT is very much a cookie-cutter DOT.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Alps

Quote from: mgk920 on August 06, 2013, 11:23:19 AM

Mike
This is something that never happens.

sipes23

Meanwhile on today's episode of "Things we should have done twenty years ago".

In all truth, I've not found much trouble getting through Richmond on 12 (various times of day, various days of the week). There have been two times I've had to bump around it on country roads in the last seven years. But the situation at the state line is a disgrace.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.