News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Garden State Parkway

Started by Roadrunner75, July 30, 2014, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJRoadfan

Some folks in Cape May County want a full interchange at Exit 20: http://www.capemaycountyherald.com/news/government/article_97648f34-3f44-11e8-903d-bf899d8d72d2.html

This is one of the last interchanges remaining with a left exit. Any addition would likely involve eliminating that. The whole reason why this exit and the requirement to use Exit 18 is to force traffic thru the Cape May toll barrier.

storm2k

Quote from: NJRoadfan on April 22, 2018, 08:01:23 PM
Some folks in Cape May County want a full interchange at Exit 20: http://www.capemaycountyherald.com/news/government/article_97648f34-3f44-11e8-903d-bf899d8d72d2.html

This is one of the last interchanges remaining with a left exit. Any addition would likely involve eliminating that. The whole reason why this exit and the requirement to use Exit 18 is to force traffic thru the Cape May toll barrier.

They could just put up a ramp toll on the SB exit ramp, so forcing drivers through the Cape May barrier doesn't really make sense. Eliminating the left-hand NB exit ramp may be more of a thing, though. If you look at the satellite, the land east of the Parkway seems to be all wetlands of some kind, so there would be a lot of costly environmental remediation to put up what would likely be a trumpet ramp to complete the missing movement onto the NB Parkway.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: NJRoadfan on April 22, 2018, 08:01:23 PM

This is odd. Sounds like the committeeman wants a full interchange, and is trying to get support from others. If there was already support from the general public and other towns and the county, they would already be talking to the NJTA about their desire for a full interchange.

Alps

The NJTA is well aware that this is a left exit, and they do have a desire to generally try to eliminate left exits. A solution here would probably require mainline realignment to stay out of the wetlands.

Roadsguy

When did they redo the "interchange" at the southern end of the Parkway? I must have missed that project.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Alps

Quote from: Roadsguy on April 22, 2018, 11:50:32 PM
When did they redo the "interchange" at the southern end of the Parkway? I must have missed that project.
You weren't able to drive yet at that point. It's been many years.

Roadsguy

Quote from: Alps on April 23, 2018, 12:34:26 AM

Well I looked it up. Two years ago is "many years"?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Alps

Quote from: Roadsguy on April 23, 2018, 05:13:29 PM

It's been redone more than once, I am now gathering. Heh.

Roadsguy

Quote from: Alps on April 23, 2018, 10:09:15 PM

I guess so. I wonder what it looked like originally, but the previous configuration is how it's been since I've been paying attention to roads.

I notice the new configuration features an APL going northbound approaching the start of the Parkway. Are there any other APLs in NJ?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadsguy on April 24, 2018, 08:46:36 AM
I notice the new configuration features an APL going northbound approaching the start of the Parkway. Are there any other APLs in NJ?

There are some.  When NJ needs to update their signage, they've been changing over to them.

These were temporary signs; only lasted a few years (by design) due to an interchange reconstruction project: https://goo.gl/maps/hJBdA2ANBw22

This one will become an APL due to the I-95/I-295 renumbering: https://goo.gl/maps/zaavchzoYF82

The signs here were changed over for the I-95 renumbering project.  NJDOT could have switched over to APLs but didn't.  Even though the right-most sign says 'Exit Only' over the right lane, the right-center lane is an option lane for the exit; thus would've qualified the interchange for an APL: https://goo.gl/maps/mon9bWWmSVk

Roadsguy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 24, 2018, 09:12:27 AM
Quote from: Roadsguy on April 24, 2018, 08:46:36 AM

There are some.  When NJ needs to update their signage, they've been changing over to them.

These were temporary signs; only lasted a few years (by design) due to an interchange reconstruction project: https://goo.gl/maps/hJBdA2ANBw22

This one will become an APL due to the I-95/I-295 renumbering: https://goo.gl/maps/zaavchzoYF82

The signs here were changed over for the I-95 renumbering project.  NJDOT could have switched over to APLs but didn't.  Even though the right-most sign says 'Exit Only' over the right lane, the right-center lane is an option lane for the exit; thus would've qualified the interchange for an APL: https://goo.gl/maps/mon9bWWmSVk

Too bad APLs with classic NJ black-background route shields are about to become a very rare breed.

roadman65

I still do not see what the difference is between the black border and no border at all.  I mean enough for the Feds to complain about anyway.  It does not enhance safety and I am sure the average motorist does not care what the route number moniker looks like.

You think there would be other things they (the FHWA) could worry more about.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadwarriors79

Wondering if there's any news on the Exit 163 (NJ 17) construction. I saw in a YouTube video that the former left exits have been moved to the right, probably a year or so ago.

qguy

When you're a kid, it feels like "many years" from from one Christmas to the next. When you're my age "many years" seems like two months. As in, "It's Christmas again? Didn't we just do this last week?"

Roadrunner75

We took a ride last weekend down the GSP to Cape May and I got to see the progress on the Great Egg Harbor bridge (nice pedestrian walkway!).  On the ride back, which was after dark, we got off at exit 29, just north of the bridge to Route 9 north.  At the top of the ramp at the merge, it looked like some sort of HAWK beacon-like overhead signals were set up, but appeared positioned perpendicular to the roadway.  Since it was dark and I didn't see it until I was on top of it, I didn't get a good look.  Any idea what this is for - I assume something temporary for the construction - maybe a temporary pedestrian cross-over to the new bridge walkway?  I saw in an article they ultimately have a new pedestrian bridge planned over the GSP.  Hopefully they keep that now dead-end stretch of 9 west of the GSP open for maybe a little parking for the walkway access. 

It looks like from another article that Harbor Road on the south side of the bridge is not getting any increase of overhead clearance once the NB span is rehabbed.  Those people out there east of the GSP have an interesting access issue.  And is Route 9 ever going to be fully signed over the bridge/GSP on the south side, including along Roosevelt Blvd?  Last I went through there it was like they didn't want to admit that the Beesley's Point Bridge isn't going to make a comeback.   

Alps

Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on April 24, 2018, 07:30:47 PM
Wondering if there's any news on the Exit 163 (NJ 17) construction. I saw in a YouTube video that the former left exits have been moved to the right, probably a year or so ago.
It's pretty much done.

Alps

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on April 24, 2018, 11:28:07 PM
We took a ride last weekend down the GSP to Cape May and I got to see the progress on the Great Egg Harbor bridge (nice pedestrian walkway!).  On the ride back, which was after dark, we got off at exit 29, just north of the bridge to Route 9 north.  At the top of the ramp at the merge, it looked like some sort of HAWK beacon-like overhead signals were set up, but appeared positioned perpendicular to the roadway.  Since it was dark and I didn't see it until I was on top of it, I didn't get a good look.  Any idea what this is for - I assume something temporary for the construction - maybe a temporary pedestrian cross-over to the new bridge walkway?  I saw in an article they ultimately have a new pedestrian bridge planned over the GSP.  Hopefully they keep that now dead-end stretch of 9 west of the GSP open for maybe a little parking for the walkway access. 

It looks like from another article that Harbor Road on the south side of the bridge is not getting any increase of overhead clearance once the NB span is rehabbed.  Those people out there east of the GSP have an interesting access issue.  And is Route 9 ever going to be fully signed over the bridge/GSP on the south side, including along Roosevelt Blvd?  Last I went through there it was like they didn't want to admit that the Beesley's Point Bridge isn't going to make a comeback.   
Don't know what's going on down there, but I doubt US 9 is getting signed anytime soon. It would require a DOT/county swap.

roadman65

Quote from: qguy on April 24, 2018, 09:13:12 PM

When you're a kid, it feels like "many years" from from one Christmas to the next. When you're my age "many years" seems like two months. As in, "It's Christmas again? Didn't we just do this last week?"
You got that one right.  From 1980 to 1990 it took forever.  The 80's lasted a long time and my job at Marriot was from December 1986 to August 1990 seemed like it was longer than my job at Arastink (Aramark) which lasted from July 2006 to January 2013). 

Anyway glad that I got to be young in the 80's as that decade rocked compared to this decade and last decade.  We had fun then and we had no cell phones or electronic devices either which we all cannot live without.  The downside was roading was dull cause there was no others to talk to due to no internet.  If I had known others took photos of roads then I would have taken pictures then and proved to you all just how signage was then. Like I-895 signed as I-95 before 1985 through Baltimore on some pull through signs.  How MD 2 South was signed as Exit 13 Brooklyn as the MDTA signed Exit 14 (current I-895 Spur) as MD 2 (and MD 3) to keep Annapolis Bound Traffic off of Richie Highway through Brooklyn.

Plus the old classic signs that were up since WWII era that stayed until the 90's too were awesome then even on the Garden State Parkway.

Sheryl Crowe

SignBridge

Signs since the WW II era on the GSP? I don't think so. The GSP wasn't built until the mid 1950's so all original signs would be from that era, almost ten years after WW II.

roadman65

Quote from: SignBridge on April 25, 2018, 08:37:18 PM
Signs since the WW II era on the GSP? I don't think so. The GSP wasn't built until the mid 1950's so all original signs would be from that era, almost ten years after WW II.
Let me rephrase that.  On other roads we had signs that lasted for years from the WWII era, however the Parkway had old signs almost as long, but not quite that were interesting to also see in the 70's and 80's.

I changed thought mid sentence and did not proof read.  My bad. :bigass:

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Quote from: Alps on April 25, 2018, 12:32:00 AM

Don't know what's going on down there, but I doubt US 9 is getting signed anytime soon. It would require a DOT/county swap.
That's why US 202 isn't signed north of NJ 53.

Oh wait.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on April 26, 2018, 12:07:01 AM

Oh wait.
They're not going to enter into a new situation like that.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: Alps on April 26, 2018, 08:27:33 AM

Oh wait.
Would it kill them to put in some "TO 9" trailblazers at 9/Roosevelt and at the GSP interchange?  I think it was signed better previously when it was "temporary".  And I was going to add that 9 is signed just fine along the other two GSP concurrencies....

02 Park Ave

Has any date been announced for the tolling change at Exit No. 145 yet?
C-o-H

roadman65

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on April 26, 2018, 10:10:03 AM
Quote from: Alps on April 26, 2018, 08:27:33 AM

Oh wait.
Would it kill them to put in some "TO 9" trailblazers at 9/Roosevelt and at the GSP interchange?  I think it was signed better previously when it was "temporary".  And I was going to add that 9 is signed just fine along the other two GSP concurrencies....
This is NJDOT we are talking about.  Heck along US 22 in Hunderdon County you will not see I-78 shields at CR 523 in Whitehouse, or at old CR 523 Spur in North Branch in Somerset like you will find all along US 9 in South Jersey for every road that connects to a Parkway Interchange GSP trailblazers.  Heck many NJ signed routes still have poor signage along them trailblazing among turns in urban areas.  Or better yet, lack of JCT signs like for NJ 27 on NJ 21 in Newark!

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.