License Plate News

Started by Alex, February 04, 2010, 10:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

realjd

That's just one potential design. The full set of potential designs is here:

http://www.floridatoday.com/viewart/20121010/NEWS01/310100043/Florida-may-hit-road-new-license-plates?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Home

I'm disappointed. You'd think that they could come up with something better than those.

StogieGuy7

Quote from: realjd on October 10, 2012, 12:32:16 PM

http://www.floridatoday.com/viewart/20121010/NEWS01/310100043/Florida-may-hit-road-new-license-plates?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Home

I'm disappointed. You'd think that they could come up with something better than those.

And they're going to be flat.  Likely with that dreadful 3M font.  So another disappointment there.  Too bad.....

jwolfer

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on October 10, 2012, 02:08:32 PM

And they're going to be flat.  Likely with that dreadful 3M font.  So another disappointment there.  Too bad.....

I like the county name too... looks like that is out

Alex

Agree, these are boring and the black lettering is a change from the green or red used on all the previous designs (except for some specialties).  :thumbdown:

I have not seen a single 3M font based plate I liked. Major ugh...

Quote from: jwolfer on October 10, 2012, 04:48:39 PM

I like the county name too... looks like that is out

Ditto for me, the county name is great and its fun to see who is from out of the area or better realize you are in a different county from where you live by all of the different county name tags then you are accustomed.. Plus I have been trying to collect one tag from each county for years, and now that collection will truly be of historical nature.  :-/

formulanone

Disappointment from me on an upcoming flat Florida plate; then again, I suppose it was only a matter of time. On the other hand, I prefer a minimalist plate design...the orange blossom in the center is too busy, and blocks out other characters. The header's wording is all sorts of annoying and pointless (most people are going to go to Google for their  municipal/county/state needs).

Never liked the county stampings, to be honest: All it does is show followers/cops that "you're not from around here".

CentralCAroadgeek

I would agree, those new designs are quite disappointing. On the plus side, they are pretty legible. And at least the website is gone. Though I guess Florida is taking the Ontario format and put it backwards (Ontario uses an AAAA-000 format whereas these new ones use 000 AAAA)

SteveG1988

I like how Florida has to redesign their plates for toll road cameras, yet NJ has been using the same fonts since 1959, and except for 1979-1992, the same color scheme.

1993-Now. Reflective but still the basic color scheme.

Will FL require people to change like NY did when the statue of liberty plate was replaced by the empire state, and the aborted replacement of that with the yellow plate, which cost you money when you renewed.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

formulanone

They were probably losing out on that vaunted 99.9%* catch ratio, since the 95%* wasn't good enough. I've seen the photos taken by toll cameras, and they're quite legible, even in black & white.

* Completely made-up statistics, but then again, work money into stats and you have** your answer.

** This is also not proven, but it sounds good.

Alps

And the thing about NJ is that except for 0/O , each figure is distinguishable. Sure, 1/I is probably not from the resolution of a traffic camera. But why change something that's not broken?

swbrotha100

If this has been mentioned before, I apologize.

I would like to see the states have simpler designs on their standard plates. The plate number (and maybe the state name) should be legible. Have all the vanity or specialized plates have the variety of designs. Therefore, people who want stuff that's more unique pay a little more for that kind of plate.

SP Cook

I don't really care for any of the proposed Florida plates.  Prefer more orange and less green. 

In any event, as long as states have 1000 different alternate plates with entire dioramic displays, allow plate frames that cover state names, and Photo Block spray (which works great) is legal, tag based tolling is not a good idea. 

BTW, how the heck do you tell the difference between a Georgia University of Florida plate and a Florida University of Florida plate?

StogieGuy7

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on October 10, 2012, 09:52:37 PM
I would agree, those new designs are quite disappointing. On the plus side, they are pretty legible. And at least the website is gone. Though I guess Florida is taking the Ontario format and put it backwards (Ontario uses an AAAA-000 format whereas these new ones use 000 AAAA)

They appear legible on your computer.  However, flat plates are - on the whole - NOT as legible as the stamped plates are.  At the wrong angle, light can be reflected off of the plate, rendering it illegible.  Furthermore, bends in the plate can have the same effect.   Although they are just as easily read from directly behind as embossed plates, it's the angles that are a problem.  They're also easier to cover up or alter. 

All in all, this rush to cheap-o flat plates is a big mistake.  There were excellent reasons why license plates have been embossed for the past 75+ years.  Because it works. 

And, by the way, the 3M font SUCKS!  It just makes a crap design crappier.

CentralCAroadgeek

By the way, the font seen on that plate isn't the default 3M font seen in states such as Idaho and Texas. It looks too curved to be the squarish, compressed 3M font.

Scott5114

vdeane

Quote from: SP Cook on October 11, 2012, 07:19:34 AM
I don't really care for any of the proposed Florida plates.  Prefer more orange and less green. 
The orange is what makes it unreadable though.  I like to notice which states vehicles are from when I'm driving, and before I knew that Florida = orange, I would be at risk of an accident every time one passed because you have to squint very closely to see anything on the plate other than the orange.  If they're nearly illegible to humans, imagine how hard it must be for cameras!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

tdindy88

Indiana is unveiling its new license plate for the next five years.

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20121011/NEWS07/121019915

It's a design celebrating the bicentennial of Indiana. With the new In God We Trust plates that were released last year, this means you'll be seeing a lot of white on the back of Indiana cars the next few years. For the plate itself, it's alright I guess, at least there is no website.

Interesting, the space for the county sticker (both number and name) is not present, I am going to assume that there will be a county number sticker in the bottom right corner to conform to all the other license plates (including IGWT.) And for me that would mean that I get to have fun guessing what counties the cars are from again, instead of just having the answer out there for me.

vtk

If they are going for readability, I'd hope they'd put some thought into the font and consider choices other than 3M.  The preview on the website is not 3M.  Let's hope that indicates they are actually considering the font shown, rather than a liberty taken by the graphic designer preparing the preview.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

SteveG1988

New Jersey is experimenting with flat plates. I have the semi standard logo plate, the cheap one that cost 20 bucks for life, versus 50 bucks one time fee plus 10 bucks a year.

it is still embossed

Now the new "sports" series

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Scott5114

The one thing I hate about the NJ plate is that, to me, the color is extremely reminiscent of pee...

SP Cook

CentralCAroadgeek

That looks really pretty! Basically, it's a mix of the current Kansas plates and the old WV plates with the state outline. I hope it's not flat...

Speaking of WV, I wonder what the reasoning is for the stickers being printed on the plate itself. I wonder how it gets renewed...

SP Cook

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on October 13, 2012, 03:19:57 PM
I hope it's not flat...

Speaking of WV, I wonder what the reasoning is for the stickers being printed on the plate itself. I wonder how it gets renewed...

Its flat.  Second "flat" WV plate after the "Friends of Coal" one.  As to the sticker, that is the way WV has done it for a very long time.  If you get a new plate that exps. in 2014, then it will have a faux sticker in the corner for 2014 that is really just printed on the plate.  You just cover it with real stickers from then on.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.